Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Naturally, many people don't come on a forum daily to report that their vehicle had no issues today. That would get a bit boring. As such, it "appears" that Rivian's are suffering from the new car blues because most only post when something happens. Personally, I try to post anytime something extraordinary happens, be it good or bad.

I've reported on the impressive range. Impressive ability to power a portion of my home during an 17-18 hour power outage. The incredible ride quality and ability to absorb speed bumps as if they aren't there, among other things. I've also had to report on issues I've had such as the truck bricking and suspension sagging.

Sure, some of the issues are simply new car blues. But that is common of almost any first year model vehicle from any company.

Tesla gets so much press, thus everything they do is amplified. Rivian is the shiny new first EV truck to hit the market and also gets more press. The fact that these companies get so much press should show the massive interest in these vehicles, which is a good thing. As they say, any press (even bad press) is good press. It's when they stop talking about you that you have a problem.

I ran into this post (see link at end) on a Tesla forum. It was notable only because I suffered from a similar issue with my truck a couple of weeks ago. I didn't come on here and post about it to complain, but more so to provide information. How many posts do we see where owners are asking "has this happened to you". For those that learn to use the "search" feature in a forum, they can often find answers to questions they want answered. So, the posts are generally meant to be informative rather than complaints.

After 7 months with my truck, I still love it, despite having had some issues. Sometimes I post areas where I see they can improve, but more so as constructive criticism so hopefully they can learn from it to improve their product. If others agree, they back me up, or any others that have similar concerns. I personally also send my comments to Rivian's customer service. Did the same with Tesla as well. Whether they make any difference or not, who knows. But, if enough people share the same criticisms or opinions, chances are, they're going to listen. Tesla finally offering a full steering wheel on the Model S & X is a good example. Among many other things.

So, for those getting cold feet because of the issues they read on the forums, always remember that the posts are always going to be weighted towards the negative issues. Go read a Tesla forum, or any other forum for that matter and you get much of the same. Don't be scared off because one in 10,000 had an issue with something. Be impressed that only, 1 in 10,000 had an issue. Even for issues where more people have suffered from the same thing (tonneau cover for example), they are issues that will get fixed.

Is there a chance that a brand new Rivian may have a few more issues than a vehicle with 5-10 years under its belt? Probably. But, the vehicle is under warranty. Rivian provides loaner cars or rentals. Sure, it's an inconvenience when something happens, but beyond that, the warranty will fix it and make it better.

I've had about 220 days with my truck. 210 of them have been great. The other 15 days, I was driving a different Rivian while they fixed mine. Just like adapting to EV's in general and the inconvenience of longer charging times, it eventually becomes second nature. Yes, when you compare only to the fact that it takes 4-5 minutes to fill up a gas tank with the 30-40 minutes it requires to charge, we only remember the things we don't like. But what about the fact that you wake up every morning with a "full tank" and never have to stop for gas. Never have to deal with oil changes. Likely never have to put brakes on it. Always have instant power on hand, etc, etc. If you travel long distances weekly or tow long distances on a regular basis, an EV may not be for you. For the rest, they're simply incredible. 3-4 times per year, I deal with the inconvenience of longer charging times. The other 361 days of the year, I greatly appreciate all the time I saved by not having to perform the actions that an ICE vehicle requires every 300-400 miles, or every 3,000 miles or every 30,000 miles. The benefits far outweigh and small sacrifices. I personally, could never go back to an ICE vehicle as my daily driver.

Back to the point of this thread, I've always been one that gets first year models of cars. I like the new, latest and greatest things that come available. I had a Toyota truck many years ago. Was the all new version. Toyota, always known as one of the most reliable vehicles out there. Mine blew the engine and fried a clutch within 4,000 miles. Growing pains of a new model. Had a Chevy Corvette that left me stranded on the freeway two days after delivery due to a fuel delivery problem. Growing pains of a new model. Had a new Jaguar that the front end shook like hell and took them months to figure out the issue. Had several Tesla's over 9 years. Two were problem cars, the rest were nearly flawless. The problem cars were the earliest models of the Model S and Model 3 (first year issues). But, I still loved the cars.

Having issues with your vehicle are never fun. Just like being unfortunate in getting rear ended by someone and you now having to deal with the hassle of getting it fixed. Often times, issues come down to luck. First year models are more prone to problems, but that's true of any manufacturer. For those that like the shiny new and exciting toy, it's a small gamble we take to not wait a few years for problems to be discovered and ironed out.

So, don't be scared by the few issues you read on an internet forum that represent only a small fraction of all Rivian's on the road. So far, the only formal "recall" (that I'm aware of), was to double check the torque on a particular bolt. For that, they came to you, checked the bolt and were on their way in a couple of minutes. Not bad. Go search the internet and see how many other manufacturers have issued recalls in the past year, there are a bunch of them. Ford has had several issues with the Lightning, but those look like a dime a dozen vehicle and simply don't get the reaction that a Rivian does, thus we hear less about them. But, go to a Lightning forum and you'll see that they have issues too.

If you like what you see and are excited for its capabilities, then focus on the positives. If you're unfortunate enough to have an issue with it, accept it, deal with it and move on. It will get fixed under warranty and the problem will soon become a distant memory. You run the same risk with any other vehicle, especially an first year vehicles. The Rivian's are amazing vehicles that will continue to be unique for years to come. Very few will show added interest in your Ford Lightning or "Mustang" Mach-E or Toyota Prius. The Rivian will continue to inspire new questions for the next decade. Enjoy the experience. As we should do with all things in life, focus on the positives and deal with any negatives as necessary, if there are any and move on. I can assure you, there will be far more positives than negatives.

For me, after years in a Tesla and now the Rivian, I've discovered how much I'm not a fan of the mass-market feel of other vehicles, even EV's by the big manufacturers. They all have this generic feel to them. More restrictions. Less creativity. Fewer updates that make notable improvements to your vehicle to give you a new feature that you didn't previously have. Some of the other EV's by big manufacturers are quite impressive in their capabilities, but still don't inspire me like the Rivian or Tesla. They do things different and once you come to get used to those differences, it's not only hard to ever consider an ICE vehicle again, it's hard to consider even an EV from one of the big manufacturers.

For those complaining about the wait, that's not just Rivian either. I was a first day reservation holder for the Hummer, still no call. Same for the Lyriq, no call. Tesla, when was the Roadster supposed to be available? The Cybertruck was due early last year, now looking at 2024. All the experience in the world doesn't necessarily make it any easier. All things considered, Rivian has done quite well to stay close on target with production goals so far.

So, be excited for what you're going to get and don't worry about problems that haven't happened yet. Odds are, they won't happen at all.

Post RE: Bricked Tesla...
teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/please-help-2015-model-s-wont-wake-up-bad-hv-battery-s.291349/

EDIT: See post #24 for follow-up regarding my take on Service Issues.....
Sponsored

Last edited:

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Naturally, many people don't come on a forum daily to report that their vehicle had no issues today. That would get a bit boring. As such, it "appears" that Rivian's are suffering from the new car blues because most only post when something happens. Personally, I try to post anytime something extraordinary happens, be it good or bad.

I've reported on the impressive range. Impressive ability to power a portion of my home during an 17-18 hour power outage. The incredible ride quality and ability to absorb speed bumps as if they aren't there, among other things. I've also had to report on issues I've had such as the truck bricking and suspension sagging.

Sure, some of the issues are simply new car blues. But that is common of almost any first year model vehicle from any company.

Tesla gets so much press, thus everything they do is amplified. Rivian is the shiny new first EV truck to hit the market and also gets more press. The fact that these companies get so much press should show the massive interest in these vehicles, which is a good thing. As they say, any press (even bad press) is good press. It's when they stop talking about you that you have a problem.

I ran into this post (see link at end) on a Tesla forum. It was notable only because I suffered from a similar issue with my truck a couple of weeks ago. I didn't come on here and post about it to complain, but more so to provide information. How many posts do we see where owners are asking "has this happened to you". For those that learn to use the "search" feature in a forum, they can often find answers to questions they want answered. So, the posts are generally meant to be informative rather than complaints.

After 7 months with my truck, I still love it, despite having had some issues. Sometimes I post areas where I see they can improve, but more so as constructive criticism so hopefully they can learn from it to improve their product. If others agree, they back me up, or any others that have similar concerns. I personally also send my comments to Rivian's customer service. Did the same with Tesla as well. Whether they make any difference or not, who knows. But, if enough people share the same criticisms or opinions, chances are, they're going to listen. Tesla finally offering a full steering wheel on the Model S & X is a good example. Among many other things.

So, for those getting cold feet because of the issues they read on the forums, always remember that the posts are always going to be weighted towards the negative issues. Go read a Tesla forum, or any other forum for that matter and you get much of the same. Don't be scared off because one in 10,000 had an issue with something. Be impressed that only, 1 in 10,000 had an issue. Even for issues where more people have suffered from the same thing (tonneau cover for example), they are issues that will get fixed.

Is there a chance that a brand new Rivian may have a few more issues than a vehicle with 5-10 years under its belt? Probably. But, the vehicle is under warranty. Rivian provides loaner cars or rentals. Sure, it's an inconvenience when something happens, but beyond that, the warranty will fix it and make it better.

I've had about 220 days with my truck. 210 of them have been great. The other 15 days, I was driving a different Rivian while they fixed mine. Just like adapting to EV's in general and the inconvenience of longer charging times, it eventually becomes second nature. Yes, when you compare only to the fact that it takes 4-5 minutes to fill up a gas tank with the 30-40 minutes it requires to charge, we only remember the things we don't like. But what about the fact that you wake up every morning with a "full tank" and never have to stop for gas. Never have to deal with oil changes. Likely never have to put brakes on it. Always have instant power on hand, etc, etc. If you travel long distances weekly or tow long distances on a regular basis, an EV may not be for you. For the rest, they're simply incredible. 3-4 times per year, I deal with the inconvenience of longer charging times. The other 361 days of the year, I greatly appreciate all the time I saved by not having to perform the actions that an ICE vehicle requires every 300-400 miles, or every 3,000 miles or every 30,000 miles. The benefits far outweigh and small sacrifices. I personally, could never go back to an ICE vehicle as my daily driver.

Back to the point of this thread, I've always been one that gets first year models of cars. I like the new, latest and greatest things that come available. I had a Toyota truck many years ago. Was the all new version. Toyota, always known as one of the most reliable vehicles out there. Mine blew the engine and fried a clutch within 4,000 miles. Growing pains of a new model. Had a Chevy Corvette that left me stranded on the freeway two days after delivery due to a fuel delivery problem. Growing pains of a new model. Had a new Jaguar that the front end shook like hell and took them months to figure out the issue. Had several Tesla's over 9 years. Two were problem cars, the rest were nearly flawless. The problem cars were the earliest models of the Model S and Model 3 (first year issues). But, I still loved the cars.

Having issues with your vehicle are never fun. Just like being unfortunate in getting rear ended by someone and you now having to deal with the hassle of getting it fixed. Often times, issues come down to luck. First year models are more prone to problems, but that's true of any manufacturer. For those that like the shiny new and exciting toy, it's a small gamble we take to not wait a few years for problems to be discovered and ironed out.

So, don't be scared by the few issues you read on an internet forum that represent only a small fraction of all Rivian's on the road. So far, the only formal "recall" (that I'm aware of), was to double check the torque on a particular bolt. For that, they came to you, checked the bolt and were on their way in a couple of minutes. Not bad. Go search the internet and see how many other manufacturers have issued recalls in the past year, there are a bunch of them. Ford has had several issues with the Lightning, but those look like a dime a dozen vehicle and simply don't get the reaction that a Rivian does, thus we hear less about them. But, go to a Lightning forum and you'll see that they have issues too.

If you like what you see and are excited for its capabilities, then focus on the positives. If you're unfortunate enough to have an issue with it, accept it, deal with it and move on. It will get fixed under warranty and the problem will soon become a distant memory. You run the same risk with any other vehicle, especially an first year vehicles. The Rivian's are amazing vehicles that will continue to be unique for years to come. Very few will show added interest in your Ford Lightning or "Mustang" Mach-E or Toyota Prius. The Rivian will continue to inspire new questions for the next decade. Enjoy the experience. As we should do with all things in life, focus on the positives and deal with any negatives as necessary, if there are any and move on. I can assure you, there will be far more positives than negatives.

For me, after years in a Tesla and now the Rivian, I've discovered how much I'm not a fan of the mass-market feel of other vehicles, even EV's by the big manufacturers. They all have this generic feel to them. More restrictions. Less creativity. Fewer updates that make notable improvements to your vehicle to give you a new feature that you didn't previously have. Some of the other EV's by big manufacturers are quite impressive in their capabilities, but still don't inspire me like the Rivian or Tesla. They do things different and once you come to get used to those differences, it's not only hard to ever consider an ICE vehicle again, it's hard to consider even an EV from one of the big manufacturers.

For those complaining about the wait, that's not just Rivian either. I was a first day reservation holder for the Hummer, still no call. Same for the Lyriq, no call. Tesla, when was the Roadster supposed to be available? The Cybertruck was due early last year, now looking at 2024. All the experience in the world doesn't necessarily make it any easier. All things considered, Rivian has done quite well to stay close on target with production goals so far.

So, be excited for what you're going to get and don't worry about problems that haven't happened yet. Odds are, they won't happen at all.

Post RE: Bricked Tesla...
teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/please-help-2015-model-s-wont-wake-up-bad-hv-battery-s.291349/
👍👏

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great points and great perspective!

When you go to an art museum most people only remember what they didn’t like or what they loved. Not the stuff that falls in between. I’ve never owned a perfect vehicle and that won’t change when I get my R1T. I know it will have some issues along the way but I also knew that when I made my reservation.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
The dangers of the interweb! Sort of reminds me of the time I Googled some minor symptoms and the web response seemed to be that I might have some rare and incurable disease!!

I'll offer a shorter version after 1 month of ownership (and having had a Tesla MY for two years prior to the Rivian). So far I've done one long journey, various trips around town, home and EA charging and general usage.

100% love it. ZERO issues. I mean zero. The truck is everything I expected and wanted and I find myself looking for any excuse to jump in to it and go somewhere. Best car I've ever owned by a mile.

I hope you are excited and based on my short experience, I think you'll love it. Don't be put off by the scare stories.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I concur with most of this. NVH is subjective, so warranty or no, ultimately Rivian can call suspension noise normal. Like in mine. So yes...I have warranty....but I also have a truck with a noisy front driverside on bumps. Unless Rivian changes their position (like they did with regard to picking my truck up and bringing it back to me...for no cost originally and now at my expense), this truck with have a noisy front driverside for life of vehicle.

But that said I love it. And it is beyond anything else. Just have to decide if I can live with a noisy front end forever.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
I've had my R1T since June and love it.

Has everything been perfect? No. Most of my issues have been very minor. My biggest issue has really been with the service processes. There's a bit of a disconnect between the call center and tech doing the work and the customer. It seems things have a habit of getting lost in translation. That said, the overall service experience is still better than what I've faced with traditional dealers.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
In all fairness there were plenty of posts that were disregarding the tonneau cover fiasco, saying it only impacts a small number of trucks and not to worry. Look how bad that turned out.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Interesting thoughts and a lot of good points to consider.

But----and this is a big but for me.....the ability to at least test drive a new vehicle before purchasing is always important. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for me. That's because I can't live with a vehicle if I don't like the way it looks and the way it drives. That said, I've only had the opportunity to drive the R1S (which is what I was interested in buying) and I was just so disappointed in the ride quality. I expected so much more from a vehicle with air suspension. Until Rivian figures out a way to improve ride quality, I'm definitely not a buyer. And to be perfectly honest, the new pricing alone most likely would have eliminated me as a customer. It was a stretch at the old pricing and I certainly can't justify the new pricing. Not because I can't afford it, but more because I'd rather spend my money elsewhere for that kind of coin. I'll be happy to sit on the sidelines and wait to see how things progress in the EV world while I continue with my ICE vehicles.

But in the meantime, I still like to read the comments here, good or bad, from owners who are experiencing these new vehicles. You all are the beta testers and future Rivian owners (and EV owners in general) will most likely benefit from your experiences, good or bad.

Rasputin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KTM, Vespa
In all fairness there were plenty of posts that were disregarding the tonneau cover fiasco, saying it only impacts a small number of trucks and not to worry. Look how bad that turned out.
To point the OP is making about confirmation bias, my tonneau works fine.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Do you plan on asking Rivian to replace it when the redesign is out? Or if it is a good one, just run with it?

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Can’t use us as a long term data point, but zero issues with build quality. We got the truck just before Christmas and have almost 1,200 miles on it. Drives perfect and very comfortable. With OTA’s it’s only going to get better! Seriously BA truck so far!

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Can’t use us as a long term data point, but zero issues with build quality. We got the truck just before Christmas and have almost 1,200 miles on it. Drives perfect and very comfortable. With OTA’s it’s only going to get better! Seriously BA truck so far!
This is good to know. Many of us have alignment issues with trucks pulling to right and passenger front sagging issues. As well as noisy suspensions. So if yours is good on those fronts, then hopefully the factory has figured out root causes and can implement service fixes for those of us with those issues. The perfect trucks prove it can be done, so very good to know! Thanks!

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Canyon Red R1T, 2022 Blue Model Y,
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I had a 2013 Tesla. The R1T has been much more solid so far. But I actually think the whole build quality thing is a fallacy, even with Tesla. I have had a LOT of problems in the past with Nissans, Hondas, and even Lexuses (Lexi?) that I have owned. Heck, the 2021 Tundra I sold, a truck thats been made with basically no changes, had a recall for a fire hazard.

I think because Rivian (and Tesla) are still new to the market, people become more skeptical, and so you see things like Delivery Checklists. People see those checklists and become more nervous. Not to say that the R1T/S are perfected yet, but its really not bad.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Mine too. It was a little clunky to start but has broken in and sounds fine now. I'll likely get rivian to do the fix at some point as long as it's not a downgrade in some way but will be in no rush to do so.
Sponsored