Sponsored

Windshield Washer Fluid Code Cracked! = water + ethanol

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I bought a bunch of s#$t and mixed a bunch of stuff. A friend smelled the fluid and said "it's definitely got grain ethanol in it." So here's the formula:

Mixed hand sanitizer grade ethanol with water or blue juice of your choosing, add a splash of isopropyl alcoho to add a little "kick" (not too much)l...do it all proportions to match the OEM smell or whatever your preference may be.

Things I learned. Don't waste $$ on 5620...it's not the stuff. Sonax is optional, it adds a little nice smell but it's almost imperceptible. Methanol is not the answer and it's not great to be breathing (even though many washer fluids contain it).

In the end, it's just simple water + ethanol. That's it, my kid and wife say the smell is exactly the same. . It's the stupidest damm thing...but I DO love that smell.

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield Washer Fluid Code Cracked! = water + ethanol 20230111_120327

Rivian R1T R1S Windshield Washer Fluid Code Cracked! = water + ethanol 20230111_120331
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Doesn't ethanol destroy plastics, tubing, etc?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Maybe your SC uses a different formula. Ethanol is not the primary component of the scent in mine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Maybe your SC uses a different formula. Ethanol is not the primary component of the scent in mine.
And mine was on factory fill until it ran out a couple weeks ago. Was not filled by SC as far as I know.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I thought most washerfluid used methanol, not ethanol.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Maybe. But have you smelled ethanol? It's the smell.
I've never smelled ethanol that smells like an antiseptic mouthwash. Besides the mouthwash.
Sponsored