R1T Without Tonneau Option Delivered

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Great news... I know a few of us have stuck w/our "no tonneau" or "manual tonneau" config, looks like they may be actually delivering! I have a "manual tonneau" config, but they can deliver without the manual panels and ship those to me later if it gets me my R1T faster.
God, I hope we hear more about this in the coming weeks as my date is approaching pretty quickly here, and I would LOVE to get the manual option.
They have fixed a lot of things I was first wary of:
1) 12V battery drain seems mostly fixed
2) Vampire drain seems to be improving drastically and if not the head guy on reddit will personally look at whats happening.
3) Tonneau! this is huge. If we can get a manual option you will not believe how fast I will change my config.
4) Thin windshield/roof glass. Would love if they change this up a bit.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
In Tonyā€™s ā€œend of summerā€ email about delivery estimates he said the updated estimates we receive at the end of the month would be based on our configurations as they are on October 16. Since I am a glutton for punishment, this no tonneau news has me considering switching back if itā€™s not going to delay my truck another year like I thought it would:whatsgoingon:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

With the problems the Tonneau has had Iā€™m surprised they havenā€™t made it more widely known that you could order without it, and maybe offer the manual one (via shipping) at a later date (like camp kitchen).

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ā€˜20 Forester
Clubs

Itā€™d be fantastic for me if they can start to deliver without the powered tonneau. Spend $3k less and Iā€™d rather buy a third party vinyl cover anyway that could be more water and dust proof in the future.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Someone in the forum was told by Rivian the space is empty and the bed looks the same, including the horizontal slot that the tonneau would slide back and forth on.
Yep - it's all the same just without the sliding cover. The slots are there for the "manual tonneau" option. They are probably going to leave the slots on all of them actually.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...And it isn't the guides responsibility to make sure the customer has everything they want selected....
That seems exactly like the sort of handholding a personal guide should be doing.

Reactions: Guy

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

That seems exactly like the sort of handholding a personal guide should be doing.
Strong disagree. Anyone can pick their options online. It isn't hard. I don't need a guide to upsell me on any options. I could go to a dealer for that.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Someone in the forum was told by Rivian the space is empty and the bed looks the same, including the horizontal slot that the tonneau would slide back and forth on.
Well, I guess the bright side to this is it sounds as though it could possibly be added after the purchase? If the slots and space are configured the same, just without the cover itself, then it's likely a correctable issue. Probably will be quite a while before Rivian offers one for sale in the Gear Shop, but appears that it's something that could be added some day.

I guess the other positive, he/she will be one of the very few guaranteed to not have a problem with the tonneau cover getting stuck!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Well, I guess the bright side to this is it sounds as though it could possibly be added after the purchase? If the slots and space are configured the same, just without the cover itself, then it's likely a correctable issue. Probably will be quite a while before Rivian offers one for sale in the Gear Shop, but appears that it's something that could be added some day.

I guess the other positive, he/she will be one of the very few guaranteed to not have a problem with the tonneau cover getting stuck!
That is my hope - that anyone who ordered the manual version could just get it delivered later on. Also, if the manual version is simply 4 panels that slide into those slots, one could probably slide a panel or a sheet of plywood if one just needed a quick cover.

And yes, not being afraid that each time I use it might be the time it grinds to a halt is an added bonus!

Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

A good use of the powered tonneau panel storage box would be for storage of the manual tonneau cover panels. What if they were the same, just without the motor & poorly designed gears? Why canā€™t we push & pull the same cover in & out with human power?

Iā€™m not a fan of a cover that has to be stored in the gear tunnel or bed.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
A good use of the powered tonneau panel storage box would be for storage of the manual tonneau cover panels. What if they were the same, just without the motor & poorly designed gears? Why canā€™t we push & pull the same cover in & out with human power?

Iā€™m not a fan of a cover that has to be stored in the gear tunnel or bed.
The manual panels as originally designed are sized differently than the powered one, with four bigger panels that won't fit into powered panel storage box. IIRC, the manual panels are intended to be stored in the Gear Tunnel and not in the powered one. I'd rather have full use of the Gear Tunnel instead.

That is my hope - that anyone who ordered the manual version could just get it delivered later on. Also, if the manual version is simply 4 panels that slide into those slots, one could probably slide a panel or a sheet of plywood if one just needed a quick cover.

And yes, not being afraid that each time I use it might be the time it grinds to a halt is an added bonus!
LOL, even if it can be done, it's not that simple of a task of sliding a 5-foot sheet of plywood into the slots. If you cut it into sections, then you'd have to cover the butt joints with another cover or otherwise it becomes useless.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The manual panels as originally designed are sized differently than the powered one, with four bigger panels that won't fit into powered panel storage box. IIRC, the manual panels are intended to be stored in the Gear Tunnel and not in the powered one. I'd rather have full use of the Gear Tunnel instead.

LOL, even if it can be done, it's not that simple of a task of sliding a 5-foot sheet of plywood into the slots. If you cut it into sections, then you'd have to cover the butt joints with another cover or otherwise it becomes useless.
I donā€™t know that it can be done at all. But theoretically any panel that could slide into the slots might serve as a quick cover in a pinch. Even if itā€™s not 100% secure or waterproof.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I donā€™t know that it can be done at all. But theoretically any panel that could slide into the slots might serve as a quick cover in a pinch. Even if itā€™s not 100% secure or waterproof.
We're not talking about waterproof, because it isn't even water resistant. If it's not tongue and groove as in engineered flooring, the panels would be useless in keeping water out.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
We're not talking about waterproof, because it isn't even water resistant. If it's not tongue and groove as in engineered flooring, the panels would be useless in keeping water out.
Perhaps I need to be more specific about the meaning of ā€œin a pinchā€. If I had to run a few errands (in dry as f*ck CO) and I had some things I wanted to leave in the bed between stops that I didnā€™t want everyone on the planet to have access to = ā€œin a pinchā€

The power tonneau isnā€™t considered ā€œwaterproofā€ either.
Sponsored