DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Nope... Not listening. I'm picking up my R1T next November on my birhday right after the engineering team gives me a walkthrough of all the R1's features and they waive the destination fee. Thats my story and everyone is stuck with it.
Trandall, Maybe they won't notice it if you also change your profile to show a late June birthday. I changed mine from January to 6/21. Better weather and a full moon for the drive home. Maybe we can get a bunch of us together for a group "Birthday Tour/Pickup² Event". I can hear the presentation now. "We were stunned to learn that 87% of our Launch Edition customers were born in late June. We fear somebody on the team leaked our plan to surprise all LE customers by coordinating the arrival of their R1T to happen on their birthday."

I'll bring enough masks for everyone.

Now, that's my story and....?
Sponsored

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
Trandall, Maybe they won't notice it if you also change your profile to show a late June birthday. I changed mine from January to 6/21. Better weather and a full moon for the drive home. Maybe we can get a bunch of us together for a group "Birthday Tour/Pickup² Event". I can hear the presentation now. "We were stunned to learn that 87% of our Launch Edition customers were born in late June. We fear somebody on the team leaked our plan to surprise all LE customers by coordinating the arrival of their R1T to happen on their birthday."

I'll bring enough masks for everyone.

Now, that's my story and....?
My birthday is mid-July which I feel is a more feasible estimate for the time when a R1T LE will be available for me to pick up.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
My birthday is mid-July which I feel is a more feasible estimate for the time when a R1T LE will be available for me to pick up.
My birthday is late July but since I'm in Alaska I'm expecting my delivery will be later in the year.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
That does make sense, I'm in Pennsylvania and will gladly fly to the factory to pick mine up if this area does not have enough pre orders.
Whop whop PA! Phoenixville over here boy

I have a LE R1T with order number 2trillion something, expecting a 12/31/21 delivery.
Like others have said, they’re going to prioritize geographic clusters of customers first.
Does it make the LE worth it? Well that’s up to the person.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-rivian-prime-delivery-van-first-look-review/
Not sure of the accuracy of this article but I couple tidbits relating to this thread; Motor Trend states that the skateboard, frame and body (all steel for the vans and mostly aluminum for R1s) will be built on separate production lines but share the same paint/ primer equipment. also that Amazon/ Rivian plans to have vans in 15 markets (vans?) this year and 10,000 by the end of 2022.
I believe I read/ heard that paint will be a bottle neck for Rivian production. I can definitely see competition, particularly in 2022, for paint production between R1 and Van preorders. It wouldn't surprise me if paint color ends up impacting delivery date to minimize color change over down time.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-rivian-prime-delivery-van-first-look-review/
Not sure of the accuracy of this article but I couple tidbits relating to this thread; Motor Trend states that the skateboard, frame and body (all steel for the vans and mostly aluminum for R1s) will be built on separate production lines but share the same paint/ primer equipment. also that Amazon/ Rivian plans to have vans in 15 markets (vans?) this year and 10,000 by the end of 2022.
I believe I read/ heard that paint will be a bottle neck for Rivian production. I can definitely see competition, particularly in 2022, for paint production between R1 and Van preorders. It wouldn't surprise me if paint color ends up impacting delivery date to minimize color change over down time.
Drifting OT here but the article also mentioned this about the Amazon vans, wonder if the R1 will also take this approach?
The windshield is defrosted via a grid of tiny wires, which is more efficient than creating and then blowing hot air on it.

OP
OP
Whataboykie!

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Yeah I think you're right. Orders for certain colors that aren't so popular might have to wait, which would be unfair. I'll even change my color if that is the case.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah I think you're right. Orders for certain colors that aren't so popular might have to wait, which would be unfair. I'll even change my color if that is the case.
Well maybe there's a reason its called LAUNCH Green.

How does priority delivery work?
Current preorder holders will be invited first to complete their purchase once we start accepting orders. After that, we can start preparing for delivery. Exact timing will vary based on when their preorder was placed, their location and when their vehicle configuration enters production.

I do wonder how much pre-order rank will matter for LE priority delivery. I do think they will prioritize the folks who had very early pre-orders. However, as they start to ramp up production, I wouldn't be surprised if vehicle configuration (exterior and interior colors) and location matter more than if you placed your order in late 2019 or late 2020.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Well maybe there's a reason its called LAUNCH Green.

How does priority delivery work?
Current preorder holders will be invited first to complete their purchase once we start accepting orders. After that, we can start preparing for delivery. Exact timing will vary based on when their preorder was placed, their location and when their vehicle configuration enters production.

I do wonder how much pre-order rank will matter for LE priority delivery. I do think they will prioritize the folks who had very early pre-orders. However, as they start to ramp up production, I wouldn't be surprised if vehicle configuration (exterior and interior colors) and location matter more than if you placed your order in late 2019 or late 2020.
I think location will be one of the primary factors, and Launch Green likely to be the first color run (and the first vehicles delivered).
Actual reservation date will likely be a 3rd or 4th tier criteria with the Launch Edition being the primary key.

It may be that when you actually confirm your order/configuration, you will get a more detailed look at how configuration will impact your delivery time.

snbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, VW GTI
Rivian has said that deliveries would be grouped based on area. Not sure that being near the factory will play into that plan... But it does make sense for one transport trailer to bring seven R1Ts to SoCal rather than 7 different states.
I have a feeling that having a Service Center in the area, will also be a highly weighted factor. So, being able to do a pickup at the factory may not matter, if there is no Service Center in your area...

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I think location will be one of the primary factors, and Launch Green likely to be the first color run (and the first vehicles delivered).
Actual reservation date will likely be a 3rd or 4th tier criteria with the Launch Edition being the primary key.
That's a good way of looking at it. Having an early preorder date doesn't mean you get your Rivian early. It just means you get first dibs on whatever configuration Rivian prioritizes in its first production run.

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager

It may be that when you actually confirm your order/configuration, you will get a more detailed look at how configuration will impact your delivery time.
I don't think the color will determine delivery. The reason I say this is because they clearly state they will contact just prior starting your build and you can make any last minute changes at that point, including color.

OP
OP
Whataboykie!

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

I cannot imagine Rivian not having a stockpile of perhaps a few hundred ready by launch time so that the orders can be filled by date of your order, regardless of color. At least I hope so.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

I do take a little comfort in the fact that CS said "We can't wait to get you in your R1S before the end of this year" So, while August are the first deliveries, I would be pretty happy to have it by 12/31!

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

First post here, but I've been pretty active previously over at TMC. I made an R1T reservation in 8/2020.

I sent customer service an email recently because I'm going to wait until the open-air removable roof option is available. For what it's worth, the rep said the following of deliveries:

"We will have more exact delivery dates later this year and this will be based on your original preorder date, your location and your configuration."
Sponsored