First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Per my latest chat w/ Rivian, the POWERED tailgate has now been KILLED. It will now be manually operated:

Me: Did Rivian really scrap the POWERED tailgate? Not the 180 tailgate...I knew that was gone...

Rivian: ...Rivian has simplified our offerings to bring the R1T and R1S to market. With that, the powered tailgate did have substantial cost, and complexity and didn't believe it created enough face value for Rivian at the time of launch. Nonetheless there is still a lot to look forward too as we near production in a few short months.
Sponsored

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
This is a bummer but I get that they have to cut costs and complexity where they can. One thing about them being a start-up with no established service network is that the more complex a vehicle they make, the more things there are to break. This is something that can be added later and I don't see it being a deal breaker for too many people... I could be wrong though. ?

BrianBleep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Wait, did you say the complete fold down tailgate is gone also?

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Wait, did you say the complete fold down tailgate is gone also?
The tailgate will still fold, but you have to lower it with your own two hands. I am not sure where the handle will be. We will have to wait for Rivian to find out where that ends up.

BrianBleep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I am sorry jimcgov3. I do not think I was clear in my question. I was referring to the tailgate folding 180 degrees from the closed position so it is out of the way when loading bed. I did not know that was gone. I see in another thread where they said it was gone month ago

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Per my latest chat w/ Rivian, the POWERED tailgate has now been KILLED. It will now be manually operated:

Me: Did Rivian really scrap the POWERED tailgate? Not the 180 tailgate...I knew that was gone...

Rivian: ...Rivian has simplified our offerings to bring the R1T and R1S to market. With that, the powered tailgate did have substantial cost, and complexity and didn't believe it created enough face value for Rivian at the time of launch. Nonetheless there is still a lot to look forward too as we near production in a few short months.
Yeah, I think it is a very costly item that is easily deleted. I applaud Rivian for that.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Yeah, I think it is a very costly item that is easily deleted. I applaud Rivian for that.
While I want a powered tailgate I see this functionality as a nice to have. A piece of functionality built not out of necessity, but to differentiate in a crowded legacy market (ICE Trucks).

NOW tailgate step... Thats a different story.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I also put this deletion in the "plus" column (at least for the R1T which I have configured)

Replacing the powered struts on a 4 yr old C-Max was quoted at ~$1,500 from the dealer. I was able to do it myself for ~$900.

The powered Tonneau on the LE likely falls a little in the "minus" column for me as well.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Definitely not a dealbreaker...My biggest frustration is that WE have had to do all of this fact-finding...Communicate. Be upfront. Wheeling in AZ is great, but we want data on the truck...warranty, range, safety rating, etc...

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is a bummer but I get that they have to cut costs and complexity where they can. One thing about them being a start-up with no established service network is that the more complex a vehicle they make, the more things there are to break. This is something that can be added later and I don't see it being a deal breaker for too many people... I could be wrong though. ?
It may be a deal breaker for me -- especially when competitors all have the feature for tens of thousands of dollars less.

I need to look at the "value" when the vehicle comes out. The more features they remove, the harder it will be for them to justify the price, to me.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Just thought I’d double check, and yup, no more power tailgate. But at least the frunk is still confirmed to be powered.

Honestly, I sorta thought the powered tailgate had been canned when they got rid of the 180 folding feature. Is there a major benefit I’m not seeing to having a power tailgate on a pick-up? (keeping in mind I’ve never owned a pick-up before)

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian confirms POWERED tailgate has now been KILLED B99A3A01-721B-4174-A748-18EEC9845CC5

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Definitely not a dealbreaker...My biggest frustration is that WE have had to do all of this fact-finding...Communicate. Be upfront. Wheeling in AZ is great, but we want data on the truck...warranty, range, safety rating, etc...
100%. They need to be telling us this stuff up front instead of us finding out. Perhaps they were waiting to share some "good" news as well to soften the blow?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Totally agreed.

While this may not be a deal-breaker, it is really disappointing.

I'm adding it to my running list of Over-promised and under-delivered.

I'm just venting now and don't actually maintain a list, but here's all the things that they had previously told us would be included or optional:
-Powered tailgate
-Price is actually higher than they told us/Reuters it would be
-No electrochromatic roof (nor any sun-shade for the all glass roof)
-No removable roof at launch
-No 180 drop down tailgate
-No max battery pack at launch
-No level 3 autonomy
-No Lidar
-No spare tire included

Ugh. I'm depressing myself now. The value proposition is far below what it was when I put down my deposit.
The price was actually lower, Originally Starting at 70k now 67,500 same thing with the R1S, originally starting at 72k now 70k.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The price was actually lower, Originally Starting at 70k now 67,500 same thing with the R1S, originally starting at 72k now 70k.
I disagree. RJ said a "Well equipped" mid-pack R1T with electrochromatic roof option included would be $69K. You can clearly see by looking at the cost of Rivian options (cough, $5k for a stove, cough) as well as how much that type of roof costs as an option for other manufacturers, that if you subtracted that option the cost would be much lower than $67.5K. And that doesn't account for what one may consider well equipped (upgraded stereo? Full skid plates? etc.).

So given the factors above, you're now paying potentially $75K plus for something that was stated to be well below $69K.

That's my personal view of it anyway.
Sponsored