Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
They are also working to fit a bigger pack in the R1S. Increasing the length would help, even if just a little.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe - I thought the "rumor" was that they had to lengthen the R1S to accommodate the spare tire... Of course they never have offered a full size spare so I have no idea...
The original specs had it at 5040 MM (198.4252 inches)
As some point the website changed to 200.7 inches
and now the website is at 202 inches

So the R1S has now grown by over 3.5 inches.
By the numbers, yes. But as they kept updating the length over time I was never been able to get Rivian to acknowledge the actual length of either the green or white show vehicles so we don't know which vehicle length we've been seeing over the past few years. The wheelbase however has remained fixed at 121" since their original press release. It's possible they've added 2-4" behind the rear wheels but none of the pictures really seem to reflect that. And bumpers almost always get tweaked before final production and there are some visible changes here. Heck even the tow hooks sticking out of the front bumper on the Adventure/LE packages could be responsible for a couple of inches.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
looks like they made the liftgate wider than on the prototype. they moved it closer to the vehicle corners most likely to provide better access to the cargo area and allow for the loading of bigger objects.
Possibly, but the opening below the back glass is the same width. I'm guessing something to do with simplifying mfg or cutting costs. Hopefully we can confirm/disprove your theory once we start to get some shots with the liftgate up and tailgate down.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
@electruck , good eye on the rear liftgate! Also, I think @bajadahl is correct in the production line R1S being longer.

Everybody check out the comparison & share your thoughts.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Spotted Out Testing! R1S Prototype vs Production

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
@electruck , good eye on the rear liftgate! Also, I think @bajadahl is correct in the production line R1S being longer.

R1S Prototype vs Production.jpeg
The bumpers pertrude out slightly more on the blue one. And there is more of a curve at the top of the rear window housing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh, and it does definitely look like the brake rotors are smaller than on the prototypes also.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

I think we have to be very careful about slight changes in perspective. Measuring from my monitor, it would appear the the white R1S has a longer hood and shorter rear than the blue. But the front of the white R1S is angled slightly toward us which would explain this visual phenomenon.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The bumpers pertrude out lightly more on the blue one. And there is more of a curve at the top of the rear window.
Yes, agree with both of these observations. Will also add that the white doesn't have the front tow hooks and the blue does (adding at least an inch up front). The change in curvature you mention would appear to be associated with the change in the rear liftgate I mentioned earlier.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Oh, and it does definitely look like the brake rotors are smaller than on the prototypes also.
The calipers are the same size though. I think it may just be the factory lighting is better providing a better visual of the rotors.

drhnbtx

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"22 R1T '07 FJ Cruiser, '13 Chevy 2500, '18 XC90
It "seems" like the red circled area is more than perspective to my eye. any thoughts?

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Spotted Out Testing! InkedR1S Prototype vs Productionv2_LI

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
In my mind the Blue one is clearly longer in the back, although, I admit the slight angle differences could be playing tricks on me. FYI - we have also lost about 1/2 a degree in approach and departure angle from the original specs.

Approach - then 34.8 / now 34.3
Departure - then 34.3 / now 33.7
breakover has stayed the same at 28.9 (same wheelbase as already noted)

I would agree this could be attributed to changes in the bumpers but I still think there is some stretch going on especially in the rear.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think we have to be very careful about slight changes in perspective. Measuring from my monitor, it would appear the the white R1S has a longer hood and shorter rear than the blue. But the front of the white R1S is angled slightly toward us which would explain this visual phenomenon.
Alright, you made me go nerd mode.

I measured both pics & used their respective rear wheels as a size reference to measure the window. Since the relative perspective should be the same, the math holds even at slight angle difference between the 2 pics.

Calculations indicate that the rear window in the production R1S is right around 2" longer than the prototype.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another interesting finding. It does appear that the production rear window is around 1.5" smaller in height as well.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Alright, you made me go nerd mode.

I measured both pics & used their respective rear wheels as a size reference to measure the window. Since the relative perspective should be the same, the math holds even at slight angle difference between the 2 pics.

Calculations indicate that the rear window in the production R1S is right around 2" longer than the prototype.
So do I win some kind of prize? I'll take my place in line moving up by 2 minutes...:clap:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It "seems" like the red circled area is more than perspective to my eye. any thoughts?

InkedR1S Prototype vs Productionv2_LI.jpg
Yes, bumper tweaks have already been noted above by azbill and myself.
Sponsored