Sponsored

Rivian Waiting Room: Have you pre-ordered with deposit?

What have you pre-ordered?

• Total voters

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Just voted, I am interested to see how many pre-orders have been sent in. I am interested in the R1S, not to keen on getting 1st year production model, maybe if I pre-order later in year I can get one that would be pretty much bug free. Also waiting to see how model y looks

A Hawk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i8
Have my deposit down too for the R1T pickup.

Just voted, I am interested to see how many pre-orders have been sent in. I am interested in the R1S, not to keen on getting 1st year production model, maybe if I pre-order later in year I can get one that would be pretty much bug free. Also waiting to see how model y looks
Unless pre-orders are unexpectedly good or 1st year production is highly constrained, I think all pre-orders will probably end up being 1st year production model. But hopefully by Rivian being a smaller nimble startup, fixes to issues can be rolled out as an on-going basis and not delayed until next model years.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Placed an order for each, but only allowed one vote. Just thought I would skew the numbers a little bit. :)

OP
OP
Electronaut

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Placed an order for each, but only allowed one vote. Just thought I would skew the numbers a little bit. :)
Two deposits I'm impressed! Are you possibly going to purchase one of each or just waiting to decide which one to go with?

I changed the poll to allow multiple votes now.

Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Two deposits I'm impressed! Are you possibly going to purchase one of each or just waiting to decide which one to go with?

I changed the poll to allow multiple votes now.
After buying my wife a Model X last year and driving it for a few months, I was convinced that I wanted to buy the Tesla Truck - whenever it became available. I know there are no actual sightings of the truck yet, but after seeing some of the potential renditions, I started having my doubts if it was going to be a practical replacement for my current ICE.

Then Rivian came along. Both vehicles are esthetically pleasing to me, offer a lot of what I wanted/needed in a replacement vehicle, and there seems to be a plan in place for actual production. Tesla hasn’t produced anything as far as the truck other than “it’s coming soon”. I’m very happy with our Tesla and could very easily be pursuaded to purchase the Truck, but I’m leaning towards the Rivian vehicles right now as a replacement for both my Expedition and F150.

Ricky35

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Occupation
IT
After buying my wife a Model X last year and driving it for a few months, I was convinced that I wanted to buy the Tesla Truck - whenever it became available. I know there are no actual sightings of the truck yet, but after seeing some of the potential renditions, I started having my doubts if it was going to be a practical replacement for my current ICE.

Then Rivian came along. Both vehicles are esthetically pleasing to me, offer a lot of what I wanted/needed in a replacement vehicle, and there seems to be a plan in place for actual production. Tesla hasn’t produced anything as far as the truck other than “it’s coming soon”. I’m very happy with our Tesla and could very easily be pursuaded to purchase the Truck, but I’m leaning towards the Rivian vehicles right now as a replacement for both my Expedition and F150.
Isn't the Tesla truck supposed to be gargantuan? Tesla's rendering shows it capable of carrying another truck in its bed. And it looks like a semi tractor to me, quite unattractive.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Waiting Room: Have you pre-ordered with deposit? tesla-pickup-concept.0

Ricky35

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Occupation
IT
Looks like most of us here are waiting for the R1T. Wonder if this will be representative of the actual sales ratio between the pickup and the SUV....

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

If the Tesla Truck looks like the rendering they’ve shown, then it won’t work for me. I’m not going to pay $100k+ for a vehicle to leave it outside in the elements 24 hours a day. Based on company specs, both the Rivian vehicles will comfortably fit in my garage.

GreenMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLE
Isn't the Tesla truck supposed to be gargantuan? Tesla's rendering shows it capable of carrying another truck in its bed. And it looks like a semi tractor to me, quite unattractive.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Waiting Room: Have you pre-ordered with deposit? tesla-pickup-concept.0
What in the world is that? Who is going to buy a transport sized pickup that can't even be parked in a garage or clear highway overpasses?! Even if it were sized/scaled properly, that is one unattractive truck.

Sponsored

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Pre-Ordered a R1S - May have to wait a little longer - time for me to start saving my pennies :like: I have driven multiple SUVs - the last was a Volvo XC90 - Which I loved dearly - but I had the EV bug, so tested out my theory with a Ford Fusion Energi Titanium PHEV, I love the car in 100% EV, it is just ok in gasoline and more than ok in hybrid modes... But I am convinced that I am ready for 100% EV - I was really thinking of going with what appears to be the standard hatchback - but I was so hoping for an SUV - and along comes Rivian - been lurking for about 4 months, finally dove in - I am happy to have my place in line and may be tempted to switch to the R1T if I just can't wait any longer - it looks awesome too!

franke

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise
Pre-Ordered a R1S - May have to wait a little longer - time for me to start saving my pennies :like: I have driven multiple SUVs - the last was a Volvo XC90 - Which I loved dearly - but I had the EV bug, so tested out my theory with a Ford Fusion Energi Titanium PHEV, I love the car in 100% EV, it is just ok in gasoline and more than ok in hybrid modes... But I am convinced that I am ready for 100% EV - I was really thinking of going with what appears to be the standard hatchback - but I was so hoping for an SUV - and along comes Rivian - been lurking for about 4 months, finally dove in - I am happy to have my place in line and may be tempted to switch to the R1T if I just can't wait any longer - it looks awesome too!
Daphne, I saw your post in the other thread about switching orders. Here's a question - what happens if you preorder a R1T and when it gets to your number in line you want to switch to R1S but it's not available yet? Do you automatically get put at the front of the R1S line based on the date you preordered/placed deposit?

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Daphne, I saw your post in the other thread about switching orders. Here's a question - what happens if you preorder a R1T and when it gets to your number in line you want to switch to R1S but it's not available yet? Do you automatically get put at the front of the R1S line based on the date you preordered/placed deposit?
Hi Franke,

Unfortunately all I have is that quote in my confirmation email - here is the complete response minus a few links and other personal details:

Your Rivian preorder is confirmed.

If at any time you decide you'd like to switch models, no need to cancel your order and lose your place in line — when it’s time to configure your vehicle, you’ll be able to switch between the R1T and R1S.

Production will begin in 2020. Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021.

I would think that if you change to the other type of vehicle you would be slotted into the selected vehicles wait list - but I really can't guess how they would handle it, especially if you move from the truck to the SUV which I think is coming out a little later than the truck.

Katsudon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Just placed my pre order for my R1T :rock: Happy to join your ranks! Reading the comments here by other pre-orderers helped me make my decision... as did the recent Amazon investment.