Sponsored

$3500 for Black Rims on Launch Edition is too much - after market options?

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
So I just saw in the updated configurator they want $3500 for black 22s on the launch edition. I was fully prepared to pay $1700-2000 for the rims, but full retail negates some of the Launch Edition perks, so I’m sticking w the standard 22s.

I’m contemplating buying another set of rims for winter tires. Is there anything special about these rims specific to the Rivian? Do I need to worry about the special Pirelli tires?

I’m pretty disappointed with the cosmetic upgrade charges. You could be $8000+ just for colors. I’m sticking with launch free, ocean interior and the standard 22s.
Sponsored

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
So I just saw in the updated configurator they want $3500 for black 22s on the launch edition. I was fully prepared to pay $1700-2000 for the rims, but full retail negates some of the Launch Edition perks, so I’m sticking w the standard 22s.

I’m contemplating buying another set of rims for winter tires. Is there anything special about these rims specific to the Rivian? Do I need to worry about the special Pirelli tires?

I’m pretty disappointed with the cosmetic upgrade charges. You could be $8000+ just for colors. I’m sticking with launch free, ocean interior and the standard 22s.
Yes, that's overpriced, especially when you could have the existing wheels powder coated for $600ish.

Off the shelf LT (light truck) tires might give up some efficiency compared to the custom Pirelli, but probably not much. Also, we don't know weight or aero specs on the wheels, but I'd rather give up a couple percent & go aftermarket for tires and/or wheels to get the look & performance I want for a much better value.

mpbaker2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328i xDrive Sport Wagon
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Agreed. Launch edition was marketed to come with free upgraded tires. They should have had the dark options included from the beginning.

OP
OP

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self-Employed
Agreed. Launch edition was marketed to come with free upgraded tires. They should have had the dark options included from the beginning.
Just spoke w customer service - they confirmed the dark rims are full price. I’m bummed.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Thanks.... but NO THANKS! :mad:

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I agree with most of the comments here. Ill just opt to get another set of Fuel wheels and appropriate tires and still come far under the 3500 cost.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Getting the forged 20" wheels on the LE is a bonus too-good to ignore.
Makes scoring the LE more worthwhile with included premium content.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Getting the forged 20" wheels on the LE is a bonus too-good to ignore.
Makes scoring the LE more worthwhile with included premium content.
I agree with you!

I was thinking of ordering a Rivian set of off road 20” and getting the LE with the 22” as I would probably be using it more on-road with some lite off-roading until I get to know more people that know the good places to explore in NorCal. I have always wanted to do more off road activities and the Rivian gives me the on-road and off-road performance in one vehicle.

So I am interested on what the forum recommends for 20” rims to use.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I was thinking of ordering a Rivian set of off road 20” and getting the LE with the 22”
Might consider doing just the opposite.... order your LE with the 20" (Forged) all-terrain setup for most included "bang for your buck." Then keep eye out for variety of aftermarket 22" wheels & tire combos this Rivian forum will inevitably cover.

Say that based on reading elsewhere that only the 20" wheels are stated to be "Forged" type

OP
OP

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self-Employed
Might consider doing just the opposite.... order your LE with the 20" (Forged) all-terrain setup for most included "bang for your buck." Then keep eye out for variety of aftermarket 22" wheels & tire combos this Rivian forum will inevitably cover.

Say that based on reading elsewhere that only the 20" wheels are stated to be "Forged" type
I was kind of thinking the same.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I was kind of thinking the same.

Get the 20" option with off road tires and then swap for slme Eco Friendly high range tires would be a great plan.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I wonder how accessible the setting for the different overall diameter between the 20s (~34") and the 21/22s (~33") will be?
I would assume everything would auto calculate based off of resistance on the motors etc. It would be the hope/ideal way in any case.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
And it's really like 5300 in lost value if you consider that the free upgrade to 20s costs 18 for Adventure edition.

NoICE

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, formerly Tesla 3, Tacoma Off-Road
Clubs

What?! $3500 to change wheel paint colors from silver to black?? Please, let's hope Rivian made an honest mistake. I configured my Launch Edition weeks ago and received an email from Rivian yesterday solely about "black wheels". Maybe Rivian made a mistake, because this looks like a gouge in the back, and extraordinarily disappointing from a company that from day #1 has espoused a culture of "under-promise and over-deliver". Rivian has worked hard to develop this culture, so why risk it over this? Black spray paint costs about five bucks.
Sponsored