First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I finally got around to setting up a storage solution for my Condor Overland RTT, which I thought I'd share for anyone who is looking for a similar setup. This would work for any RTT that mounts to the factory crossbars (or indeed anything at all on the crossbars, up to 400lbs).

I wanted an easy way to get the tent on and off the truck by myself, after struggling to install it with a broken ankle and a friend over to help lift it. This gets it out of the way when I'm not using it, lets my truck be a truck with full bed access when I'm not camping, and makes it really easy to drop the tent in the garage with a dehumidifier running if I need to air it out after a wet trip (I just hoist it down to the floor, open it up, and leave it out overnight.)

Tl;dr: you want the Truck Top Lifter by Smarterhome – SmarterHome (mysmarterhome.com). This has four individual winches which pair into a combined hoist system that slots right into the Yakima t-slots that the Rivian crossbars use. With a pretty simple install (just lag bolts inserted into ceiling beams in your garage) you can lift up to 400lbs right off the truck bed - as simple as unlock, unlatch, and hit a button on your phone.

Here's what it looks like in my garage:
Rivian R1T R1S Rooftop tent storage solution for Rivian R1T 1657574632986

Empty hoists:

Rivian R1T R1S Rooftop tent storage solution for Rivian R1T 1657574683047

Interface to the crossbars:
Rivian R1T R1S Rooftop tent storage solution for Rivian R1T 1657574731907

You can see the mounting interface slides right into the t-channel and screws down. I just leave it in there full time and all I need to do is lower the cables, slide four pins into the pulley extension there, and release the latches and up she goes. The hardest part is that I have to release the latches two at a time (from each side of the truck) since the will re-latch if you don't hold it open, but with a little tension on the cable it's no problem. Takes me about a minute to stow my tent. I picked up a spare set of crossbars for other accessories so I can just leave the tent ready to go at all times.

It's not the cheapest solution, but ultra convenient. Highly recommended.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Love it. Was thinking about an option like this as well but I got paralyzed deciding to build one from hardware store parts or buy off the shelf like this. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Love it. Was thinking about an option like this as well but I got paralyzed deciding to build one from hardware store parts or buy off the shelf like this. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, you could definitely save hundreds by DIY'ing it - especially with a hand-powered version and a few pulleys. But I wanted something simple, fast to put together, and powered, and I didn't want to think about math, sketching, measuring, or leveling 🙂

Reactions: Max

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Saw someone post about this awhile back, not sure if here or another site. However, they used two of the Universal lifters, which would come out to only $650, or half the price. Combined rating of 190lbs. No idea how they are synced up for lifting through the app though...

https://www.mysmarterhome.com/collections/universal-lifters/products/universal-xl
This would work with a bit more hassle for mounting. The app makes it pretty easy to pair multiple lifters. I like the Truck Top kit because it slides right into the crossbars and is extremely plug and play, and I wanted some weight headroom - the Condor Overland is 165 lbs, so once you add some accessories (shovels, max trax, crossbars, etc.) you're over 190 in a hurry. With 400lbs I can load 100lbs on the Condor (its max capacity) and not be pushing any tolerances.

Long term I'm interested in a camper top like the GFC or Super Pacific if they make an R1T fitment work, and those are north of 300 lbs - so that was another factor in my decision.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This would work with a bit more hassle for mounting. The app makes it pretty easy to pair multiple lifters. I like the Truck Top kit because it slides right into the crossbars and is extremely plug and play, and I wanted some weight headroom - the Condor Overland is 165 lbs, so once you add some accessories (shovels, max trax, crossbars, etc.) you're over 190 in a hurry. With 400lbs I can load 100lbs on the Condor (its max capacity) and not be pushing any tolerances.

Long term I'm interested in a camper top like the GFC or Super Pacific if they make an R1T fitment work, and those are north of 300 lbs - so that was another factor in my decision.
Yep, makes sense. Just flagging for others that may have tents without load carrying ability, weigh less, etc. Seems to be another option. Or, perhaps they just have bug out rack with cargo that they want to lift off, without even a tent.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've been lifting the latch out and re-latching it when it's above the connection. Won't fall back in by itself then.

The hardest part is that I have to release the latches two at a time (from each side of the truck) since the will re-latch if you don't hold it open

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I've been lifting the latch out and re-latching it when it's above the connection. Won't fall back in by itself then.
Ah that's a good idea! I'm a bit nervous resting 200lbs on the latch mechanism though - not sure that's intended to be a load-bearing part.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There's some tension on it in my setup, but not enough to keep it from re-latching by itself.

Ah that's a good idea! I'm a bit nervous resting 200lbs on the latch mechanism though - not sure that's intended to be a load-bearing part.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Beautiful...clean setup. What's the cost range?

Sponsored

Snazzy Labs

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
I made a DIY lift since I wasn’t happy with any of the solutions available commercially (they either had crappy load ratings or were crazy $$$). Built my own for about $250 that’ll handle 500 lbs easily. I’m mostly limited by my hoist being mounted to vertical studs that aren’t really rated for that level of shear force. I backed the studs with OSB and a couple of headers to strengthen them and the thing is solid as a rock. Would have zero concerns putting several hundreds of pounds more. If I ever wanted to put even more weight, I’d just throw another heavy duty pulley on the ceiling joist and mount the hoist to the cement floor. But that’s not necessary and ugly so no thanks.

Side note: I LOVE your idea of keeping the cross-bars on. Going to re-configure mine to do the same. Genius idea that’ll make getting the tent on the truck a lot faster! Tightening down 4 awkward bolts sucks.

Last edited:

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Yeah, you could definitely save hundreds by DIY'ing it - especially with a hand-powered version and a few pulleys. But I wanted something simple, fast to put together, and powered, and I didn't want to think about math, sketching, measuring, or leveling 🙂
I didn't go DIY but I did buy a manual version

Haven't installed it yet, but will post thoughts when I finally do. If it doesn't work out then, I'll be going this route (although these folks should work on their SEO as I tried multiple searches trying to find a motorized solution that looked good, and this never came up).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I made a DIY lift since I wasn’t happy with any of the solutions available commercially (they either had crappy load ratings or were crazy $$$). Built my own for about $250 that’ll handle 500 lbs easily. I’m mostly limited by my hoist being mounted to vertical studs that aren’t really rated for that level of shear force. I backed the studs with OSB and a couple of headers to strengthen them and the thing is solid as a rock. Would have zero concerns putting several hundreds of pounds more. If I ever wanted to put even more weight, I’d just throw another heavy duty pulley on the ceiling joist and mount the hoist to the cement floor. But that’s not necessary and ugly so no thanks.

Side note: I LOVE your idea of keeping the cross-bars on. Going to re-configure mine to do the same. Genius idea that’ll make getting the tent on the truck a lot faster! Tightening down 4 awkward bolts sucks.
Looks like a nice setup. I just used tie-down straps with cam levers and just go around corner to corner lifting it up until it's high enough off the ground I won't hit my head on it. Mine's a little more complicated to lift because of the awning, but it's definitely easier to keep the bed rails attached.
Rivian R1T R1S Rooftop tent storage solution for Rivian R1T 1657720535591

Cogentfire

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HONDA
Occupation
Scientist
I finally got around to setting up a storage solution for my Condor Overland RTT, which I thought I'd share for anyone who is looking for a similar setup. This would work for any RTT that mounts to the factory crossbars (or indeed anything at all on the crossbars, up to 400lbs).

I wanted an easy way to get the tent on and off the truck by myself, after struggling to install it with a broken ankle and a friend over to help lift it. This gets it out of the way when I'm not using it, lets my truck be a truck with full bed access when I'm not camping, and makes it really easy to drop the tent in the garage with a dehumidifier running if I need to air it out after a wet trip (I just hoist it down to the floor, open it up, and leave it out overnight.)

Tl;dr: you want the Truck Top Lifter by Smarterhome – SmarterHome (mysmarterhome.com). This has four individual winches which pair into a combined hoist system that slots right into the Yakima t-slots that the Rivian crossbars use. With a pretty simple install (just lag bolts inserted into ceiling beams in your garage) you can lift up to 400lbs right off the truck bed - as simple as unlock, unlatch, and hit a button on your phone.

1657574632986.png

Empty hoists:

1657574683047.png

1657574731907.png

You can see the mounting interface slides right into the t-channel and screws down. I just leave it in there full time and all I need to do is lower the cables, slide four pins into the pulley extension there, and release the latches and up she goes. The hardest part is that I have to release the latches two at a time (from each side of the truck) since the will re-latch if you don't hold it open, but with a little tension on the cable it's no problem. Takes me about a minute to stow my tent. I picked up a spare set of crossbars for other accessories so I can just leave the tent ready to go at all times.

This is terrific! I'd love to do something similar in our garage.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

1657574632986.png

Empty hoists:

1657574683047.png

1657574731907.png

With the crossbars attached and the tent raised as far as it will go, how far down from the ceiling is the lowest point? I have a high ceiling in my garage and I’m curious if this will fit above my raised garage door or if I have to mount it further back behind where the door rolls up. I plan of copying your awesome setup either way. Thanks!
Sponsored