Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wonder how the dogs got in the back. That lift gate looks pretty tall relative to the ground for even a 45-60 lb dog.
$300 stackable ramp available on the Rivian Shop SooN
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The thing that has me confused is the air ducts shown in the Munro IP Analysis.
2022-06-28.png

There are 4 separate ducts shown.
At the 16:00 minute mark in the video they discuss the 4 ducts and mention zones.
Instrument Panel Analysis | Rivian R1T Teardown - YouTube

What am I missing (besides the maunal only stating 2 zones and the R1Ts currently only having two zones).
2 ducts for the middle row + 2 ducts for the 3rd row = 4 ducts. Doesn't look like you're missing anything. Those ducts just happen to be controlled in left and right banks.

And if the Driver+ analysis taught us anything, it's that the Munro team is, indeed, fallible...

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Not that the analysis of the guts isnā€™t interesting but this climate control thing is always a bit polarizing, innit? Off the bat, interior climate ā€˜zonesā€™ are a misnomer arenā€™t they? Itā€™s not like thereā€™s insulated partitions between passengers so the control of volume and temperature of the air blowing toward each passenger is really what the debate is about. Different systems achieve it by a varying combination of fans, gates and vents, yah?

Having spent a few hours with a truck full of adult passengers itā€™s more important for me if they can all find a comfortable setting and forget about it. It matters not if thatā€™s achieved with adjusting a manual vent, turning a fan knob, pushing a number on a flat panel, or some combination of the threeā€¦

..and now, back to the ā€˜no true climate controlā€™ debate šŸ˜‚ā€¦

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Lots of speculation here about the climate control zones.

The manual is pretty helpful here. In summary... The 2nd and 3rd rows cannot select their own temperatures. They can adjust the rear fans, but they are stuck with the temperatures set for the front seats.

Screenshot_2022-06-27-21-52-40-49_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
Look at the very first page of the manual and youā€˜ll see the software version it describes. Currently thatā€™s 2022.19.X.
Rivian R1T R1S Sizing Up the R1S : Official Rivian Feature. Explore our uncompromising sport utility vehicle from every angle. 94B10E85-5231-407F-B108-922E6D2EBA64

If the hardware is there for more than the current right/left zones and a future software release makes the hardware usable then the corresponding version of the manual will show more zones.

If I recall correctly, there is a recent example of this. The R1T manual didnā€™t always describe the garage door opener operation as it does now because the software didnā€™t support the hardware when the truck was delivered to early customers. Early deliveries had no garage door opener even though the hardware was there because the software wasnā€™t ready for it.

Thereā€™s certainly no guarantee that HVAC changes are coming, but the current 2022.19.X manual doesnā€™t prove that changes are impossible.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

2 ducts for the middle row + 2 ducts for the 3rd row = 4 ducts. Doesn't look like you're missing anything. Those ducts just happen to be controlled in left and right banks.

And if the Driver+ analysis taught us anything, it's that the Munro team is, indeed, fallible...
The early (first?) video where they removed the frunk tub made me realize they are fallible. They were going on about an odd fastener with backwards threads and a hole in the top, even putting it through the top of the tub to demo its location. My first thought was that the funky fastener goes UNDER the tub, allowing assemblers to adjust the height at each point so the tub s located properly. Then a fastener goes through the hole in the tub securing the tub via the hole in the funky fastener below. I know that Sandy and the employee doing the video werenā€™t there during disassembly because they said so, but to critique a manufacturer for something because you donā€™t understand how it works struck me as silly.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Are Climate Zones the new Cupholders?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
No, no - its the heated or cooled cupholder is the next banter....
By the way, does everyone know that the center console is effectively a fridge???

I have a Ridge wallet (metal), and often keep it in there. On a long drive recently in 100d temps with AC running, I took it out when I arrived at destination and it was COLD as if I had put it in an actual fridge. I don't know if it's the ducts running to the rear seat vents on the back of it, but I'm really curious to put a temp sensor in there to test.

Maybe others on here with sensors can test?

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
By the way, does everyone know that the center console is effectively a fridge???

I have a Ridge wallet (metal), and often keep it in there. On a long drive recently in 100d temps with AC running, I took it out when I arrived at destination and it was COLD as if I had put it in an actual fridge. I don't know if it's the ducts running to the rear seat vents on the back of it, but I'm really curious to put a temp sensor in there to test.

Maybe others on here with sensors can test?
I'm 99% sure it is just the ducts running toward the rear cooling the plastic. My X5 is like that. My phone gets COLD when leaning against the rear of the center console cubby. But the rest of the items are warm. When touching the rear plastic, it feels like a fridge.

Now I can say the entire cubby is cooler than the rest of the cabin in this intense heat we're having in Southern California, but it is definitely no fridge. I think when parked it'll get just as hot as everything else and when you start driving (and the cold air is running through the ducts), things will start to cool again.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I'm 99% sure it is just the ducts running toward the rear cooling the plastic. My X5 is like that. My phone gets COLD when leaning against the rear of the center console cubby. But the rest of the items are warm. When touching the rear plastic, it feels like a fridge.

Now I can say the entire cubby is cooler than the rest of the cabin in this intense heat we're having in Southern California, but it is definitely no fridge. I think when parked it'll get just as hot as everything else and when you start driving (and the cold air is running through the ducts), things will start to cool again.
Yeah, I know it's not an actual fridge, but just found it interesting. To be clear, the wallet is small and was sitting on the floor of the cubby, in the middle and on top of papers. So technically it wasn't in direct contact with any surface. I didn't think to feel any other contents to see how cool they were, and certainly a metal object would feel colder than anything else in there.

But even if not technically a fridge, if sensors were to show that it does get down to say, 45 degrees, it would be nice to know. For example, some milk for a kid stored in an insulated bottle of sorts, could stay viable much longer in there than you'd think. I'm going to dig up some BT sensors I have around and put one in the frunk, console cubby and gear tunnel to see what it shows while driving.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
But even if not technically a fridge, if sensors were to show that it does get down to say, 45 degrees, it would be nice to know. For example, some milk for a kid stored in an insulated bottle of sorts, could stay viable much longer in there than you'd think.
Agreed. Definitely can keep something cool. And I was thinking the exact same thing. Some milk for a baby/toddler.

But I'd be cautious forgetting it in there haha.
Sponsored