'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I've done a good deal of rear seat riding with my little guy and the stadium seating puts you really close to the roof (more so then the driver) and is very warm.

My wife has to blast the AC to help cool us down in back. She then says she's cold, meanwhile me and the little guy are finally getting comfortable.

I like the roof, but wondering how to make it cooler myself.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option 0603220827b_HDR

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

I ordered for both the windshield and the roof. The windshield reflector is phenomenal and fits PERFECTLY.

The roof, however, is really ugly and hard to get aligned. From the inside the back is glossy black (or white, depending on what you select) with a bunch of plastic fasteners that keep it affixed to the suction cups. Also, even though it works well, I feel most heat from the windshield pouring in over my legs and waist and I'm not sure what to do about that. I've never felt so much heat through the windshield in any other vehicle and I'm not sure why.Ultimately I feel like this is a temporary solution until there's a more aesthetically pleasing one. Maybe some sort of sheer fabric insert. The roof doesn't need much, what with the tint and all. Just... something more.

Pros:
- effective

Cons:
- hideous
- hard to install
- makes you realize how much IR heat you feel from the windshield as opposed to the roof

PXL_20220601_185623715.jpg
Update:
The suction cups keep failing and wind from having the windows open caused the whole thing to come down on my head.

Not a recommended solution...

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
I've got a 4'x5' piece of this sunroof PPF on the way, PPF Paint Protection Film Glass Sunroof Clear Bra VLT70% UV99% Block W – EzAuto Wrap . I"m hoping it'll cut down on IR, and protect the sunroof glass a bit. Will report back after it's installed, hopefully by the weekend.
I got this installed on Friday, and it was well worth the investment. Install took about an hour working alone. I highly recommend having help though. It gives the glass a bit of a blue tint, but it's not objectionable since the sky tends to be blue. There is a very small amount of distortion, but that's likely due to me installing it alone.

It definitely cuts down on the IR coming through the glass. Driving in the blazing Colorado sun I did not feel the heat on my head like I did before. After being parked in the sun for several hours on a 90 degree day, the glass was still quite hot to the touch, but the interior was only a couple of degrees higher than ambient. I think the hot glass was due more to conduction from the metal parts of the roof. It should also provide some impact resistance, and should not have the shattering concern that has sometimes been mentioned as a potential with film on the inside.

Sponsored

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Are y'all finding the root to be excessively hot? On my long road trip I had some upper 80's days, and the roof was never an issue. The windshield and front windows on the other hand really let the heat through.
Was looking to tint the roof with xpel xr+ but know just thinking of doing windshield and sides and back window. Thanks all for the input

NachoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep SRT
Occupation
Rivan pre-order hodl'er

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Thanks for the suggestion. Just got mine today. Saw your install notes.. any other tips/tweaks on their installation instructions before I give it a go?
Watch a video or two on installing PPF. Get the glass super clean. I used glass cleaner, scraped it with a razor blade, and cleaned 2x more. Lint free rags are key. Us a lot of slip solution (water with baby shampoo). Spray it well with slip solution as you peel off the backing as this will minimize sticking and static. Dong it all sith a second pair of hands it is a lot easier than by yourself. I got it placed, aligned, then squeegeed it from the center to each corner, and finally trimmed it. If you have a heat gun (a blow dryer should do), have it ready in case there are any fingers you can't get to lay down.

I'm definitely noticing a significant difference with it on there.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I've done a good deal of rear seat riding with my little guy and the stadium seating puts you really close to the roof (more so then the driver) and is very warm.

My wife has to blast the AC to help cool us down in back. She then says she's cold, meanwhile me and the little guy are finally getting comfortable.

I like the roof, but wondering how to make it cooler myself.

0603220827b_HDR.jpg
Firstly, your bebe is a friggin real life cabbage patch doll 😂

if the rear seats had their own climafe control zone itd be a non issue. Seems like one of the things that got decontented to make production happen. I couldve sworn R1 was supposed to have 4 zone climate control or at least 3

NachoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep SRT
Occupation
Rivan pre-order hodl'er
Watch a video or two on installing PPF. Get the glass super clean. I used glass cleaner, scraped it with a razor blade, and cleaned 2x more. Lint free rags are key. Us a lot of slip solution (water with baby shampoo). Spray it well with slip solution as you peel off the backing as this will minimize sticking and static. Dong it all sith a second pair of hands it is a lot easier than by yourself. I got it placed, aligned, then squeegeed it from the center to each corner, and finally trimmed it. If you have a heat gun (a blow dryer should do), have it ready in case there are any fingers you can't get to lay down.

I'm definitely noticing a significant difference with it on there.
Thx, great to hear it's working well. Still trying to figure out the gymnastics of standing up there.

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
So I teased this in another thread but I went hunting on Amazon for a few options to black out the sunroof on long road trips since I'm going on one next week.

I measured the glass and it's roughly 41 x 40 so I stated to look at RV shades and came across this product:

It's smaller then the glass and leaves an inch gap on each side, but honestly, for the price and the fact that you can get it today it's probably the best we can get before something is made specifically for our trucks.

I'm going to install it better this weekend (it's to far forward currently), but for now here are some photos of it installed.

IMG_20220601_101216_hdr.jpg
IMG_20220601_101225_hdr.jpg
IMG_20220601_101207_hdr.jpg
I have a loaner and I can't get my windows tinted with ceramic until I get my truck back (at some point I hope). I am noticing some things now that I am driving the truck in some hotter days. As others have said, the back seat gets hot. Mix in car seats and it really blocks the flow of air and put them closer to the roof and the sun. You can really feel the sun in the back seat. You can tell my 16 month gets hot and the sun really prevents her from falling asleep. This was my solution to help with the sun. It works really well and sticks really well to the roof. I will buy another pack of 4 to finish off the roof (6 pieces) and leave two pieces for the rear windows. It's not the series thing but it beats suction cups and I can move them around if I needed. The semi transparent are actually pretty dark and block out alot sun. For 15 dollars, I think do a pretty good job.

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option Screenshot_20220621-071741_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option Screenshot_20220621-071727_Gallery

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option Screenshot_20220621-071153_Amazon Shoppin

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Man, i've been looking at all the options posted here, but has anyone seen any option that looks like what they offer on amazon for Tesla? I have one of these and it just has a couple clips that hold it against the edge but honestly it works so well. Hopefully one of these chinese manufacturers will create something for the Rivian. I think the Rivian glass in my car lets in more heat than my model 3s 🥵

Amazon.com: TEMAI Tesla Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshades (Only Compatible with The 2021-2022 Model 3 Made in US Version) : Automotive

Rivian R1T R1S Sunroof Shade Option 1656010037050
Sponsored