RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
One of the things that bugged me after receiving my Rivian was the lack of small, concealable storage that was easy to access. There is a a fold out drawer in the seat but that is a pain to access, and the center console was convenient, but cavernous. I figured a little tray or so would work, so I purchased this -

It's a small tray designed for an older Toyota Tacoma which has a console with a similar interior sized. Long story short - it works, but I wouldn't use it.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0364.JPG

It installs, but it's just too tight. Getting it past the wings was nerve wracking and I have no idea on how I'm going to get it out now. Those issues however, aren't the biggest thing - while it's helpful, it's not as helpful as what it should be. Having used it now for a week or two, I've developed some thoughts about what is needed for a good design here:
  1. There should be a top tray, like what is shown here, but it should be slideable and quickly removable.
    1. It maybe should have dividers in it for stuff like coins and whatnot, although this is very much up for debate.
    2. It should probable install by being dropped in and twisted 90 degrees. It would have thin flaps to each side to use the driver and passenger tops of the console walls to hang. (very open to ideas here)
  2. The well of the center console is deep enough where it could potentially be divided into three sections:
    1. A bottom section for general unfrequently used knickknackery.
    2. A mid section for more frequently used larger items.
    3. A top section where the sliding tray is.
  3. A good dividing line would likely be where the 45 degree angle for the USB-C.
    1. I'm thinking there could be a removeable shelf here assuming a small frame underneath.
    2. This shelf/tray thing should be pretty porous to ensure that the light from above can shine through.
    3. It should have a hole in it where one could slip a digit into it and pull it out to access items underneath.
  4. Use of the retaining strap should be kept so it can hold the manual, registration / insurance documents.

I think I might design something to be 3D printed, like I did with the sunglasses holder. Before doing so, I want to soo what people though. Same deal with the sunglasses holder - if enough people are interested, I may be willing to setup a limited production run. This would likely be a bit more expensive though as there is more to it.
Sponsored

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

One of the things that bugged me after receiving my Rivian was the lack of small, concealable storage that was easy to access. There is a a fold out drawer in the seat but that is a pain to access, and the center console was convenient, but cavernous. I figured a little tray or so would work, so I purchased this -

It's a small tray designed for an older Toyota Tacoma which has a console with a similar interior sized. Long story short - it works, but I wouldn't use it.

IMG_0364.JPG

It installs, but it's just too tight. Getting it past the wings was nerve wracking and I have no idea on how I'm going to get it out now. Those issues however, aren't the biggest thing - while it's helpful, it's not as helpful as what it should be. Having used it now for a week or two, I've developed some thoughts about what is needed for a good design here:
  1. There should be a top tray, like what is shown here, but it should be slideable and quickly removable.
    1. It maybe should have dividers in it for stuff like coins and whatnot, although this is very much up for debate.
    2. It should probable install by being dropped in and twisted 90 degrees. It would have thin flaps to each side to use the driver and passenger tops of the console walls to hang. (very open to ideas here)
  2. The well of the center console is deep enough where it could potentially be divided into three sections:
    1. A bottom section for general unfrequently used knickknackery.
    2. A mid section for more frequently used larger items.
    3. A top section where the sliding tray is.
  3. A good dividing line would likely be where the 45 degree angle for the USB-C.
    1. I'm thinking there could be a removeable shelf here assuming a small frame underneath.
    2. This shelf/tray thing should be pretty porous to ensure that the light from above can shine through.
    3. It should have a hole in it where one could slip a digit into it and pull it out to access items underneath.
  4. Use of the retaining strap should be kept so it can hold the manual, registration / insurance documents.

I think I might design something to be 3D printed, like I did with the sunglasses holder. Before doing so, I want to soo what people though. Same deal with the sunglasses holder - if enough people are interested, I may be willing to setup a limited production run. This would likely be a bit more expensive though as there is more to it.
I would love to see what you come up with and have suggested in other posts that someone with a 3d printer might want to try it.

Please keep me informed if you do come up with something.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Right on the nose that the center console needs some dividers and trays, and frustrating that there is no rivian aftermarket to offer them yet. Hoping some 3D printing folks come up with a decent solution soon.

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

went to my local daiso (japanese dollar store) here in LA and found these stackable trays...just about a perfect fit....
Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_9016

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_9017

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_9018

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
So, I've been working on this a bunch lately and here is what I have - it's a two-piece system:

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray Screenshot 2022-07-17 192148

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray Screenshot 2022-07-17 192105

The first bit is essentially a hanger that fits underneath the center console flaps. The second item is a hanging basket. In designing this, I've tried to be somewhat clever about how it installs and how it's used.

In theory, you can slide the holder right under the opening flaps of the center console. The basket then just drops right in. The holder has a V shaped sign that holds the basket at the exact right height - right below the opening flaps. You can then slide the basket front to back to reach items under it without having to remove the basket to do so.

The basket is designed to be just narrow enough to clear the flaps but also wide enough where it won't allow the hanger to twist and fall into the console.

Additionally, the basket has a divider that I built for cards or a card shaped wallet. I debated putting my father's coin holder 🤣 in there as well and opted out of it as I just never seem to have any coins. I did however put a 'Rivian Compass' inspired design in the bottom as an esthetic enhancement. I also then repeated my simplified compass design alongside either side of the basket. The goal here were to speed up printing, allow the light from the console LED to shine into the basket, and to make the design of the item more interesting.

So - here is where it gets a little tricky. I've basically run out of time. These will take about 15 hours to pint combined. Rivian is supposedly coming here Tuesday to grab my truck for some warranty work, so I won't be able to test it prior. If anyone wants to give it a go - please feel free.

Suggestions are always welcome.

Much like my other designs, if there is enough interest, I'll do a small batch.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5435513

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
So, I've been working on this a bunch lately and here is what I have - it's a two-piece system:

Screenshot 2022-07-17 192148.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-17 192105.jpg

The first bit is essentially a hanger that fits underneath the center console flaps. The second item is a hanging basket. In designing this, I've tried to be somewhat clever about how it installs and how it's used.

In theory, you can slide the holder right under the opening flaps of the center console. The basket then just drops right in. The holder has a V shaped sign that holds the basket at the exact right height - right below the opening flaps. You can then slide the basket front to back to reach items under it without having to remove the basket to do so.

The basket is designed to be just narrow enough to clear the flaps but also wide enough where it won't allow the hanger to twist and fall into the console.

Additionally, the basket has a divider that I built for cards or a card shaped wallet. I debated putting my father's coin holder 🤣 in there as well and opted out of it as I just never seem to have any coins. I did however put a 'Rivian Compass' inspired design in the bottom as an esthetic enhancement. I also then repeated my simplified compass design alongside either side of the basket. The goal here were to speed up printing, allow the light from the console LED to shine into the basket, and to make the design of the item more interesting.

So - here is where it gets a little tricky. I've basically run out of time. These will take about 15 hours to pint combined. Rivian is supposedly coming here Tuesday to grab my truck for some warranty work, so I won't be able to test it prior. If anyone wants to give it a go - please feel free.

@RWerksman. I’d be interested in this console basket. Also interested in purchasing one of your sunglasses holders if your selling them.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Rob, there still may be a way to test your prototype. I should be getting my truck back from Cleveland mid week and I am only in the N. Hills. PM me if you want me to run down to help you test it.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
That may be a plan! I'll get setup to print one - hopefully I have enough black PETG remaining. 😅

I'm also curious about how you're getting on with PA registration. My guide contacted me on Friday asking for a new insurance 60 days after I received my truck. I'm wondering how your registration went.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Screenshot 2022-07-17 192148.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-17 192105.jpg

I would definitely be interested. Just let me know how much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
So, before I even begin I just want to state that this the 3D print pictured below is quite possibly the WORST functional thing that I've ever printed. I ran out of my black filament and printed it in white. This white filament that I have turned out to be a stingy mess - one that took over 13 hours to print. It also failed over and over again on the retraction for the grid of holes on the side, so I had to remove them from my prototype print.

With that said, here is what I have:
Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0633.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0625.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0629.JPG

The concept is basically the same - to have a support frame and a basket that installs into it. It's designed like this so that supports aren't needed to actually make it.

The frame would slip under the flaps at the top of the center console and the basket would fall right into the center of the frame. It would be able to slide back and forth so aren't forced to remove it to access anything beneath it.

The basket is not divided (but could theoretically be) with the exception of a small section for storage of cards or a small wallet, like what is shown in the picture below.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0632.JPG

That's basically where I am. My Rivian is due back to me tomorrow at which time I'll do a test fit and post pictures. I'm curious as to how much of the opening this takes up and the weight that can be put in the basket before it starts to deform.

I also have more black filament on the way in and I hope to be able to produce a better prototype tomorrow - ideally with the grid of holes on the side.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like another good idea. With some others coming to market as well, it seems there will be a few options for this cavernous hole soon.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Large update:

The first 'production intent' version of the sliding center console tray is complete. Please disregard the poor quality of the print - I was focusing more on speed than quality with this one. Here is what we have:

The hanging bit is complete at this point. It's structural enough to hold the basket and a few pounds of equipment, yet flexible enough to deform slightly for installation. Pictured top, bottom and beveled edge that the basket hangs in.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0643.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0644.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0645.JPG

The basket is also functionally complete. the hole grid at the side has come out well from look, light distribution, and overall structural stability perspectives. I think the sizing a little larger than what I initially envisioned, but overall pretty great. The width of the basket is basically as wide as it can get to comfortably drop between the center console wings.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0646.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0647.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0648.JPG

From an installation perspective, it take a whopping 30 seconds to install. Place the hanger in and twist gently. It's designed to give slightly - the picture is somewhat exaggerated for effect. 😁

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0635 (1).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0636.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0637 (1).JPG

Drop in the basket, seat it in the hanger, and then load it up. Slide back and forth as needed.

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0638 (1).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0639 (1).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0641 (2).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Center Console Tray IMG_0642.JPG

I think I'm going to print an additional version in black. I might also make a small run of these for folks who are interested. If you're interested in one, please post here. The estimate for a small batch would probably be in the $30 range.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

FirstStateR1T