Our own "configurator" Thread

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
Thank you for the information. I’m torn between the 135 and 180. I don’t know if I’d often use the 3rd row, but I suppose you cannot use it ever if it’s not there. The added range and 3rd row are both things that are nice to have when you need them. I suppose reserving ultra late will give me plenty of time to decide!
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Thank you for the information. I’m torn between the 135 and 180. I don’t know if I’d often use the 3rd row, but I suppose you cannot use it ever if it’s not there. The added range and 3rd row are both things that are nice to have when you need them. I suppose reserving ultra late will give me plenty of time to decide!
You and me both. I put 180kwh, but not sure if it'll be worth it compared to the 135kwh. Waiting for reviews and actual numbers before I do the actual order

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I've had 3 three row vehicles while my kids were growing up... 2000 LX470, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2010 Honda Pilot that we still have. The folding options on the LX470 were so poor that I just ended up removing the 3rd row and storing the seats in the attic and never used them. The Honda's with the fold flat were much better but the seats spent 99% of the time folded. The few times we have needed them it's great to know they were there but those days are behind me... Car pools to summer camp, school tournaments, and for taking teen girls to the mall all things the 3rd row was useful for. Now that one is in college and one will be at least a Senior in high school by the time I get mine I don't have any more need for that 3rd row.... If my girls were younger it would be a much more difficult choice.... for me I see this as my empty nest travel vehicle so range is job #1... 180kwh all the way.... I wish all choices were this easy.... Now what freakin color!!!

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I’m surprised there are much more 135kw than 180kw. What is leading most to pick the mid size battery option?
Agree with most others on here that it's primarily the option for a 3rd row of seats - although I could be convinced to go 180kw if there's some way (1st party or 3rd party) to create a secure space for the dog to hang out where the 3rd row would be. Because that's really what I foresee the 3rd row being used for anyway based on my current family situation (no kids ... yet ;)).

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I’m surprised there are much more 135kw than 180kw. What is leading most to pick the mid size battery option?
Cost.

The 135 pack is at the upper limit of my budget. The 180 pack will likely be significantly over my budget.

Additionally, 99.99% of my driving will be within the 300 mile range that comes with the mid-sized battery pack. For the super-rare instance that it's not, I'll either charge it up during the trip, or more likely, just take my wife's car.

Added Bonus: The 135kWh pack is the fastest of the 3 options.

Last edited:

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Part of my thinking for the 135 is I don't like the idea of batteries "intruding" into the cabin area. Sure, they're isolated, but I have get a warmer fuzzy thinking "people inside, batteries outside".

Also, it's faster :)

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Part of my thinking for the 135 is I don't like the idea of batteries "intruding" into the cabin area. Sure, they're isolated, but I have get a warmer fuzzy thinking "people inside, batteries outside".

Also, it's faster :)
While I agree it is definitely faster.... 2 tenths faster 0-60.... I do question the location of the batteries. I think it's pretty clear they take up the foot well space that the third row seats are supposed to fold into, however, my question is does that mean the batteries actually go into that floor space into the vehicle and above the floor or does the shape of the floor contour into an upside down bucket so that the batteries stay beneath the floor and sealed into the battery pack. I had always assumed that due to the cooling systems and other technical reasons the entire battery pack would be sealed with the largest pack getting a "hump" towards the back that fit into the upside down well created by the new raised floor.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I'm not trying to pile on, but 135 interests me more than 180. Reasons? In order of importance: 1. sometimes need for 3rd row seating (family, including relatives who want a ride in a Rivian, and friends), 2. cost, 3. weight and 4. added versatility for storage and optional equipment.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Do we know anything about the tailgate and folding? I do remember thinking and noticing at one point the have the cables holding the tailgate and then they were gone to allow the tailgate to fold the entire 180 degrees. Anyone have more info on this?

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Do we know anything about the tailgate and folding? I do remember thinking and noticing at one point the have the cables holding the tailgate and then they were gone to allow the tailgate to fold the entire 180 degrees. Anyone have more info on this?
At standard 90° opening, the cables are present. When you select the 180° button on the top of the bed rail, the cables disengage from the tailgate and an actuator lowers the tailgate to it's full open position.

iliadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Occupation
Engineer
Am I missing something on the third row seating of the R1S? I have watched an autoshow interview and one of the reps from Rivian had mentioned that the third row seats wouldn't fold down with the 180K battery, but I hadn't seen anything about them not being available with the 180K battery.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Am I missing something on the third row seating of the R1S? I have watched an autoshow interview and one of the reps from Rivian had mentioned that the third row seats wouldn't fold down with the 180K battery, but I hadn't seen anything about them not being available with the 180K battery.
From the FAQs on Rivian's website:

What are the 3rd-row options for the R1S?

If you choose the 105 kWh or 135 kWh battery pack, you’ll have the option to configure your vehicle with 3rd-row seating (allowing for 7 adventurous passengers) or without a 3rd-row (allowing for extra storage). If you choose the 180 kWh pack, 3rd-row seating is not available.
Sponsored