Sponsored

Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

We've discovered a new Rivian patent which reveals for the first time details on the company's Auxiliary Battery module that can increase its vehicle's range beyond the 400 mile estimate (for its top of the line models). It remains to be seen for which trims/models Rivian will offer the auxiliary battery and how much additional range the accessory will add.

The battery is removable and reattachable to the vehicle, supplying power to the electric motor by being positioned in the cargo area (i.e. the cargo bed of the R1T). Once attached, the vehicle would automatically detect the battery module and make necessary adjustments according to a set of multiple predetermined features sets that determine driving performance, suspension characteristics, braking performance/sensitivity, steering ratio, etc.

You can find the full patent filing below:

Electric Vehicle With Modular Removable Auxiliary Battery With Integrated Cooling

Abstract

An electric vehicle system for transporting human passengers or cargo includes an electric vehicle that includes a body, a plurality of wheels, a cargo area, an electric motor for propelling the electric vehicle, and a primary battery for providing electrical power to the electric motor for propelling the electric vehicle. An auxiliary battery module is attachable to the electric vehicle for providing electrical power to the electric motor via a first electrical connector at the auxiliary battery module and a second electrical connector at the electric vehicle that mates with the first electrical connector. The auxiliary battery module can be positioned in the cargo area while supplying power to the electric motor, and can be removable and reattachable from the electric vehicle. The auxiliary battery module includes an integrated cooling system for cooling itself during operation of the electric vehicle including a conduit therein for circulating coolant.

Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-1
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-2
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-3
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-4
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-5
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-6
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-7
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-8
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-9
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-10
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-11
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-12
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-13
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-14
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-15
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-16
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-17
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-18
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-19
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-20
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-21
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-22
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-23
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-24
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-25
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-26
Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-27
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Interesting. Can we call it a precharged electric generator with no need for propane or gas

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Very cool. So it sounds like a detachable accessory battery pack that we can get for our phones? From the diagrams it looks pretty big though. And it being a battery, it might be too heavy for one person to install/remove often?

RefugeEV

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Cayenne
Great idea to utilize the R1T's truck bed space when it's not being used!

Has Rivian indicated before if the R1S will get anything like this? If not, that's going to be a significant advantage to getting an R1T over the R1S.

Hydro

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
still searching
Great idea to utilize the R1T's truck bed space when it's not being used!

Has Rivian indicated before if the R1S will get anything like this? If not, that's going to be a significant advantage to getting an R1T over the R1S.
I had the same question. I can't see them not offering it for the R1S, since range will likely be an even bigger concern for the SUV than the truck. It would also be a totally arbitrary decision that will hurt R1S sales, unless they plan to have the R1T come at a higher premium to upsell people into it. Let's hope not.

Sponsored

VSukx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I had the same question. I can't see them not offering it for the R1S, since range will likely be an even bigger concern for the SUV than the truck. It would also be a totally arbitrary decision that will hurt R1S sales, unless they plan to have the R1T come at a higher premium to upsell people into it. Let's hope not.
This image shows just how large that battery is. It takes up a big chunk of the bed. Where would they fit it on the R1S?

Rivian R1T R1S Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-3

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3; Jag F Pace; ‘66 Bronco
Like the idea. The way admin’s post is worded makes me think that it would only be available to the top of the line owners (400 mile range models). Hope that i’m wrong on that. Also, would hope that this could be an add on to all models later on. You know, after you have recovered sufficiently from your depleted life savings.

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Like the idea. The way admin’s post is worded makes me think that it would only be available to the top of the line owners (400 mile range models).
I don't believe that it would only be available on the top of the line model, but it remains to be seen. I've corrected the post to clear up the confusion (hopefully).

We'll be sure to update as we discover more details. :like:

Ricky35

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Occupation
IT
Very cool. So it sounds like a detachable accessory battery pack that we can get for our phones? From the diagrams it looks pretty big though. And it being a battery, it might be too heavy for one person to install/remove often?
According to the patent description, this isn’t meant to be removed and installed often. It requires a forklift or winch+cables to install and it bolts into place. So I think this is supposed to be a semi-permanent battery module.

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to the patent description, this isn’t meant to be removed and installed often. It requires a forklift or winch+cables to install and it bolts into place. So I think this is supposed to be a semi-permanent battery module.
That would be a deal killer for me. I thought they were working on a much smaller device that could get you out of a jam. I don’t know, maybe 35-40 miles or so.

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
So, how many more miles does this give you?

Katsudon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
This image shows just how large that battery is. It takes up a big chunk of the bed. Where would they fit it on the R1S?

Rivian-Auxiliary-Battery-Module-Patent-Filing-3.jpg
Maybe it could take a different form for the R1S? Something that could fit in the cargo / trunk area.

BTW @Lil'O Annie love the avatar, just realized the Rivian headlights :)

VValleyEV

First Name
Rollin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My main concern is whether this add-on option will be required to reach the 400 mile range. I have always been assuming that the vehicle will be rated at 400 mile range with the 185khw pack and no other add-one. I hope that is still true.

I second the concerns about this being more semi-permanent than a “jerry can”, taking up a big piece of that already small truck bed, and requiring a forklift to move it in and out. There may be a target market for this, but it would not include yours truly.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
My main concern is whether this add-on option will be required to reach the 400 mile range. I have always been assuming that the vehicle will be rated at 400 mile range with the 185khw pack and no other add-one. I hope that is still true.

I second the concerns about this being more semi-permanent than a “jerry can”, taking up a big piece of that already small truck bed, and requiring a forklift to move it in and out. There may be a target market for this, but it would not include yours truly.
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!! Will it be required to get the 400+ range and the cargo bed is already on the small side--why take up even more space.

Cardiffarian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Agree. The more I think about it, I believe this is really meant for the 400 mile models due to the fact that they have no room for battery upgrades. The other models, unless I’m mistaken, could theoretically improve their range by adding additional battery modules.

So, in that regard, it would be silly to add this extra cumbersome, expensive, bed filler to a model that could be upgraded with an added battery module. I think it would be a go for me if it was a smaller, portable, reasonably priced “jerry can” that would serve as a little peace of mind in case I wasn’t calculating my range accurately. Which would never happen. :).

Having said that, there are probably people out there who could use this because they’re towing something big and heavy and do not want to stop and recharge all the time and have to unhook to do it. Or some such Patagonian explorers. Or deranged electrophiles who have too much money and will buy every option just because they can.

I just don’t see a big market for this and in its present form, I’ll pass. Just give me the mid-range model with a long standard equipment list and a price around $75k.
Sponsored