R1S third row seats optional?

Discussion in 'R1S SUV Discussions' started by Hall Monitor, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Hall Monitor

Hall Monitor Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicles:
    Audi SQ5
    Is the 3rd row seating in the R1S mandatory or will we be able to option it out? I'll never carry 7 passengers and would rather opt for more cargo room.

2. DiggiRob

DiggiRob Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicles:
    Evoque
    The 3rd row I believe folds completely flat to line up with the trunk floor? Also the 180 kWh version is listed as sitting 5 passengers, not 7. They must have had to use that space for additional battery modules. It'd be cool if the seats could be completely removed for more cargo space or to fit the auxiliary battery option?

3. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    Same here, but like Keith (presumably eyeing up the 105 or 135 kWh model), I, and I suspect many others, have little to no need for 3rd row of seats. Instead of wasting the material and money on some thing that will never get used, I'd rather see that space freed up for other uses as you pointed out. Which leads me to something else I, and others, have been wondering about - the spare tire. Assuming there is one, where is it stored and what type - full size or space saver? Perhaps info on the spare is already available and I just haven't seen it yet, however, there is an open thread asking about this. I'd gladly sacrifice the 3rd row seats if it meant having a full size spare. Obviously everyone's needs/wants are different and hopefully Rivian will see it that way and make it an option, if not initially perhaps down the road.

4. A Hawk

A Hawk Active Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicles:
    BMW i8
    Right. The 185 kWh / 400+ mile R1S model will be 5 seats because the underfloor space will have a larger battery occupying the space where the 3rd row would fold down into.

Hasn't been announced if the 105kw and 135kw models will have choice of 3rd row delete. If it's optional, I'd like to see that it reduces price of the vehicle and also gives extra storage underfloor space where the 3rd row would otherwise fold into.

5. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    I read in a review that, like the R1T, the R1S will have a full-size spare that can be removed to free up more cargo space. I assume it is under the floor of the cargo bay, since folding the rear seats supposedly yields a flat floor, but that's just an assumption.

6. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    @Hmp10 can you provide a link to that review/article?

7. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
  8. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    Thanks @Hmp10 . I think the author may have gotten his notes mixed up. (Or perhaps I am?) The quoted passage is certainly true for the R1T (pics available on the internet) but I don't see how it's possible with what I've seen and read about the R1S. The R1S cargo area/bay will either have 3rd row seats (presumably foldable) or the additional battery module(s) for the 180 kWh 5-seater module. The only way I can see a "rear tub ... with a full-size spare" in the cargo bay of the R1S is if the 3rd row seats were indeed optional on the 105 and 135 kWh models. If that's the case, then 1) it would seem to indirectly answer the OP's question that the 3rd row seats are optional, and 2) the 7-seater and 180 kWh models either don't come with a (full-size?) spare or it's stored somewhere else within the vehicle.

Side note - another interesting passage from the article in the same paragraph: "the R1S has a two-piece tailgate, split just below the Rivian badge. The lower gate drops down to create a seat or loading platform."

I just realized I have yet to see a pic of the R1S tailgate in the open position. For some reason I just assumed it was a hatch style tailgate. (Probably because my last two SUVs opened that way.) Considering the R1S shares about 85% of the R1T, I guess it would makes sense for the R1S tailgate to work this way. Has anybody seen a pic or video of the R1S with tailgate open?

9. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    It's just a guess, but the spare tires in both vehicles might be under the rear cargo floors behind the rear axles. My Tesla has a deep storage well in that location, as the battery skateboard ends ahead of the rear axle, as it does on the Rivians.

EyeOnRivian likes this.
  10. PoorPilot

PoorPilot Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
    [QUOTE="I just realized I have yet to see a pic of the R1S tailgate in the open position. For some reason I just assumed it was a hatch style tailgate. (Probably because my last two SUVs opened that way.) Considering the R1S shares about 85% of the R1T, I guess it would makes sense for the R1S tailgate to work this way. Has anybody seen a pic or video of the R1S with tailgate open?[/QUOTE]

I saw it open in a video, but I can't remember which one it was.

11. aAlpine

aAlpine Member

Vehicles:
    2014 4Runner
    This video shows the R1S rear storage, and Brian Gase (Chief Engineer) says there's an "inflatable spare tire". Not sure exactly what that means, but it doesn't sound like a full sized wheel...

Jump to 13:15 ^

EyeOnRivian likes this.
  12. DiggiRob

DiggiRob Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicles:
    Evoque
    It's found in a bunch of vehicles and looks like this:

Smart space saving decision tho it does come at the cost of some inconvenience if the need for the spare arises. Worth it IMO.

EyeOnRivian, skyote and aAlpine like this.
  13. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    #13 EyeOnRivian, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Thanks @aAlpine and @DiggiRob for posting those vids. Been wondering about the spare in the R1S. BTW, you might want to consider posting your respective vids in the "Does Rivian SUV have space for a spare tire" thread.

Certainly a space saver spare tire is better than none at all but my preference is still a full-size spare. Space save spares usually come with warnings to not drive on them for any great distance and at a reduced speed (I believe 50mph from the video). To add to that is this undesirable tire tread. I'm guessing Rivian probably won't be offering a full-size spare as an option. If I bought my own I wonder if it would fit in the frunk stored horizontally or even vertically.

Back to the OP on optional third row seats. I forget where but I had read RJ responded to this question (Twitter?) saying there will be a "No third row seats" option you can select when ordering. If I can find the source/link I'll post it.

14. kumarczar

kumarczar Member

Vehicles:
    Acura MDX
    I believe in the highest battery specification the R1S will not have standard 3rd row seats, only in the 2 lower battery configurations can have 7 seats. Maybe 7 seats in the 180 Kwh spec will be a option?
    Rivian-R1T-R1S-specs.jpg

15. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    Yes, that is correct. I believe the OPs question inferred the 105 and 135 kWh models since 3rd row is not available on the 180 kWh. Recently RJ has mentioned there would be an option when ordering to NOT include 3rd row seats, again, inferring the 105 and 135 kWh models.

Rivian has stated the 3rd row is not available with the 180 kWh due to the additional space needed for the larger battery pack. Unless there is a large demand for 3rd row seats with the 180 kWh battery, I doubt Rivian will reconfigure the battery pack at this stage of development. But you never know. If the battery tech improves to the point it requires a smaller footprint and the Rivian EVs are still far enough away from production, maybe, just maybe, Rivian will turn that space into something useful like a full-size spare or 3rd row seats or additional storage or whatever. I won't be holding me breath.

Hmp10 and kumarczar like this.
  16. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Since the third-row seat is eliminated with the 180 kW battery, I assume that means the extra modules will be stacked so as to raise the floorboard. So not only will you lose the third-row seating, you'll also not have a flat cargo floor behind the second-row seats?

I read an article the other day that said the early production vehicles were going to be built only with the 180 kW packs and that the 105 and 135 packs would come about a year later. At other times I've heard that both the 135 and 180 will enter initial production and only the 105 pack will come later. Any information as to which, if either, is correct?

17. timf

timf Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model X
    There should still be a flat loading floor behind the second row of seats. When the third row is folded to create a flat cargo area, those seats have a significant volume to them. It's that space that would be taken up by additional battery modules for the 180 kWh pack. The only cargo space that you'd potentially miss out on is what you would get if you had a normal 5 seat configuration. If it's anything like Model X, there's a second panel covering this space giving you additional under-floor storage space or the ability to carry taller objects.

I've been operating under the assumption that the 135 kWh and 180 kWh batteries will be available at the same time. Yes, certain articles quote that only the largest (singular) battery pack will be available at launch, but I find this to be unlikely. If anything, I think the 135 kWh will be the first or most readily available pack.
    1. It requires less cells, so they can ship more vehicles with the same level of battery production.
    2. It's the top performing model (the 180 sacrifices performance due to added weight).
    3. You sacrifice the third row or spare tire compartment, both of which are shown on the prototypes, if you go with the 180.

Hmp10 likes this.
  18. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    I guess that would mean the third-row seats fold backward to drop into a pocket behind the rear axle as they do in my Honda minivan . . . and that's where the extra battery module would go?

I think the 180 kW pack is slower not just because of added weight; the motor outputs to the gearboxes are also cut for the 180 pack: the 135 pack motors put 562 kW to the gearboxes, whereas the 180 pack motors put out 522 kW. (See the chart kumarczar posted above.)

19. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    If you pre-ordered, the answer is in the 2nd paragraph of your confirmation email, at least that's what I'm going by until I hear otherwise FROM Rivian. For ease of reference (and those who have not pre-ordered) this is what is stated in the pre-order confirmation email:

"Production will begin in 2020. Fully equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021." ​

Hmp10 likes this.
  20. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    I had forgotten about that, probably because I didn't pay that much attention to it. (I've had quite a bit of experience with things changing -- especially delivery times -- while orders for EV's are pending.) Thanks.