Sponsored

Your preferred suspension setting - All Purpose (Poll)

What is your preferred suspension setting on All Purpose Mode

• R1S - Soft

• R1S - Stiff

• R1T - Soft

• R1T - Stiff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I’ve never owned a vehicle with air suspension. I come from a Model 3, which has regular shocks so the ride is pretty stiff. I’ve owned the R1S for 2 months now and I can’t get a feel for the right suspension setting. When I drive slower around town, soft feels a little too soft, especially over bigger bumps (speed bumps and such), so I am trying stiff suspension around town now to see if that is better. When I am on highway or straight roads, the soft feels great. I am not sure if it’s just me not being used to the suspension coming from the stiffer rides all of my life. Curious to see what others have as their daily all purpose setting.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Some people set their "daily" setting to Sport/stiff. When I'm using All Purpose, I use the soft setting, but I tend to use a combination of settings when I'm driving, including off-road if I leave my neighborhood east-bound.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Count generally begins a ride a little soft but then adjusts settings to stiff.

ETA: AP, high regen

Last edited:

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I’ve never owned a vehicle with air suspension. I come from a Model 3, which has regular shocks so the ride is pretty stiff. I’ve owned the R1S for 2 months now and I can’t get a feel for the right suspension setting. When I drive slower around town, soft feels a little too soft, especially over bigger bumps (speed bumps and such), so I am trying stiff suspension around town now to see if that is better. When I am on highway or straight roads, the soft feels great. I am not sure if it’s just me not being used to the suspension coming from the stiffer rides all of my life. Curious to see what others have as their daily all purpose setting.
I also came from a model 3 to the R1T. The R1T as well as the R1S are huge heavy vehicles compared to the 3 and while these trucks have amazing handling they are not quite as nimble as the 3. That being said after a little over a year with my R1 trying all the different settings I pretty much stay in all purpose soft with high regen.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I clicked soft but AP isn't the mode my truck lives in. I keep it in low, stiff, sport and high for regent. I switch to AP soft when I'm on rougher roads.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I put in R1T Soft, but with a caveat.
I do PREFER Stiff, but only if I'm on GOOD roads. I live in PA, notorious for ..terrible roads, so I *typically* ride in soft unless I'm outside of the area or on well-maintained highways.

But I especially keep it on soft with passengers in the car. I came from a hot-hatch background, and my vehicles always had a really stiff, performance suspension by default.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
AP-soft-standard-high regen is my default. SoCal roads are garbage, even though (since OTA) the driving experience feels even more disconnected.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I also came from a model 3 to the R1T. The R1T as well as the R1S are huge heavy vehicles compared to the 3 and while these trucks have amazing handling they are not quite as nimble as the 3. That being said after a little over a year with my R1 trying all the different settings I pretty much stay in all purpose soft with high regen.
Yes, maybe it’s the weight I mostly need to get used to. Looking at the poll results, it seems most people overwhelmingly prefer Soft on the T or the S.

OP
OP

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I clicked soft but AP isn't the mode my truck lives in. I keep it in low, stiff, sport and high for regent. I switch to AP soft when I'm on rougher roads.
Interesting. I guess I didn’t consider that some people will keep their R1 on Sport as their daily. I take it that’s more for the power?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Interesting. I guess I didn’t consider that some people will keep their R1 on Sport as their daily. I take it that’s more for the power?
Power and handling. I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and there are a lot of winding mountain roads. It's more fun to drive the truck in that setting.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
Power and handling. I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and there are a lot of winding mountain roads. It's more fun to drive the truck in that setting.
Yes, when on winding rural or mountainous roads I will put mine in sport mode stiff but most of my driving is Scottsdale suburbia so AP soft works best for me most of the time and of course off road high setting when going over the speedbumps at my local Safeway.
Sponsored