Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

We got around to putting the cross bars on and adjusting our Yakima low pro 15 cargo box to them today in preparation for an upcoming ski trip and road trips this summer.

It went on without issue had plenty of adjustment for the claws to grab the bars. They don't close all the way as predicted but Yakima confirmed it's not an issue as long as they are tight.

I try to adjusting it forward so that the rear gate could open all the way and I would need about another inch of adjustment on the forward clause of the cargo box to do it. I didn't want to put the cargo box on the front to crossbar mounts, because I like it further back and more aerodynamic looking.

Rivian R1T R1S Yakima SkyBox LoPro 15 Cargo Box fits on R1S cross bars 1000012431

Rivian R1T R1S Yakima SkyBox LoPro 15 Cargo Box fits on R1S cross bars 1000012432

Rivian R1T R1S Yakima SkyBox LoPro 15 Cargo Box fits on R1S cross bars 1000012433
Sponsored

Jayburgess89

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
I got the Yakima Lo Profile Box and it works. I wish I could move it forward but the placement of the bars is not ideal. It does at least clear the back. I think the Inno would have been a better option for me but the one I wanted didn't seem long enough for the skis.
Rivian R1T R1S Yakima SkyBox LoPro 15 Cargo Box fits on R1S cross bars IMG_3737
I need low profile to get into my garage. I have to put the suspension to low then it clears.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have the Thule Motion XT Alpine which, I was told by REI, likely would not fit that far back. I have it mounted forward, and at least in that position one can access the box from the first and second row door sills fairly easily.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I got the Yakima Lo Profile Box and it works. I wish I could move it forward but the placement of the bars is not ideal. It does at least clear the back. I think the Inno would have been a better option for me but the one I wanted didn't seem long enough for the skis.
IMG_3737.jpeg
I need low profile to get into my garage. I have to put the suspension to low then it clears.
Nice. You can get it in the garage in low or lowest? I measured low and it seemed like it wouldn't make it in my garage, but maybe your box is flatter than mine. Mine is about 15 years old

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

They look sleek. I may need to get rid of my old Thule and get the sleek ones. I have installed three bars. I am trying to find one where I can also use my yakima ski fatcat 4 rack. I do have three bars installed. Let me know if you any of you have a solution

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

They look sleek. I may need to get rid of my old Thule and get the sleek ones. I have installed three bars. I am trying to find one where I can also use my yakima ski fatcat 4 rack. I do have three bars installed. Let me know if you any of you have a solution
So I love our box and have used the crap out of it for years. Now that my kids are older I do wish it was tall enough to hold a carryon sized roller suitcase.... Until I got the Rivian with the drink space. If I bought one today I might still get a bigger one since I can't fit it in the garage anyway and it would let me make sure I can fit all the camping, beach, skiing, fishing, road trip gear I need, but probably just one size bigger.

I gave up on external ski racks a number of years ago. It was hard to find one that would hold enough skis and snowboards and combination and word in the sport was that the dirt and grime on the highways is not good for the equipment. And in the space on a cargo box to throw poles and even some boots without having to have them all perfectly placed like you would on an external rack and I was sold.

Addressing what you're trying to do though: couldn't you just put the cargo box on the rear to crossbars and then put the ski rack on the front two crossbars? You definitely don't want to try to span all three cross bars with something because they are not at the same level.

One word of caution to anyone using any of the roof boxes as remember they are not temperature controlled. If you put soft plastic items in them in bitter cold they might super cool and crack if you try to use them without warming them up first. I found this out the hard way when we had some air mattresses in one for our kids going up to a ski house and they got really cold and brittle and we unfolded them to inflate them before letting them warm up.

Jayburgess89

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
Nice. You can get it in the garage in low or lowest? I measured low and it seemed like it wouldn't make it in my garage, but maybe your box is flatter than mine. Mine is about 15 years old
This one only adds maybe 10 inches to the height of the vehicle. Inno was about 9 inches.

AlexTFLee

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad Motor Large Pack 2023
Occupation
Retired
I have the Thule Motion XT Alpine which, I was told by REI, likely would not fit that far back. I have it mounted forward, and at least in that position, one can access the box from the first and second-row door sills fairly easily.
This is my Thule Motion XT Alpine Box which I mounted on the rear two bars. It is mounted as far forward as possible. The tailgate does slightly bump into the back of the box when it opens. To prevent any scratches on the top part of the door, I placed two small pieces of Teflon tape on the box where it contacts the top of the door. The door stops when it touches the box, and it is almost completely open. This is the tape I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C7VLY5H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, when speaking with Thule's tech support, they informed me that I would need a set of Thule #697-6 adaptors to mount this box because the Rivian crossbars are too wide for the "claws" that came with the box. But in reality, the claws worked perfectly fine with the Rivian crossbars which made installing this box much easier.

Rivian R1T R1S Yakima SkyBox LoPro 15 Cargo Box fits on R1S cross bars IMG_5099

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

This is my Thule Motion XT Alpine Box which I mounted on the rear two bars. It is mounted as far forward as possible. The tailgate does slightly bump into the back of the box when it opens, but the part of the box it touches is very smooth and does not damage the door. The door stops when it touches the box, and it is almost completely open.

Also, when speaking with Thule's tech support, they informed me that I would need a set of Thule #697-6 adaptors to mount this box because the Rivian crossbars are too wide for the "claws" that came with the box. But in reality, the claws worked perfectly fine with the Rivian crossbars which made installing this box much easier.

IMG_5099.jpg
Nice looking
Sponsored