torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Pre-ordered an R1T last week, and am excited to be one of the few EVs in my town.

It's no real secret that BEVs are less than popular around here, and public non-Tesla fast chargers don't really exist.

I expect that a majority of my trips can be achieved with a high SoC from my planned garage Level 2 charger. Even 200 mile "day trips" should not be a problem. Fast charging may be a little more worrisome. Most of my long-range destinations go through Utah or Colorado, which have more well-established networks. Will take some planning to convince myself it's a good idea to hit the hills for a weekend without worrying about depleting charge.

Winters are long and hard. Wind can be absolutely killer. Interested to see how these factors affect practical range. One of my plans is to leave a Level 1 charging adapter plugged into the block heaters we have at my work parking lot. That way, most of my commute can be replenished during my time at the office, and I can conceivably have the car all preconditioned and defrosted at the end of every day.

Thanks for letting me think out loud. Ever since my dad let me drive his Jaguar I-PACE last time I visited, I'm convinced that EVs are the way of the future. And few look as interesting to me as Rivian's planned EAVs. I'm pretty dead set on this being my new car to supplant my old Nissan Xterra, hopefully by the end of 2021.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
My wife does the timed preconditioning on the i3s when she leaves her office to head home (I work at home). She got used to that prewarmed/cooled interior really quickly.

OP
OP

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My wife does the timed preconditioning on the i3s when she leaves her office to head home (I work at home). She got used to that prewarmed/cooled interior really quickly.
I'm really looking forward to a pre-warmed interior on bad winter days! The less time I spend outside the car scraping ice and snow, the better. The last time I remember having to do that after coming off of a night shift in late March, I swear I couldn't feel my fingers the entire drive home.

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
Clark,
I have much the same plan as you. What part of Wyoming? I'm in casper. Just talked to someone at Electrify America and asked for chargers in Shoshoni, Cody and Sheridan. They have submitted my proposal. I don't know what good that does, but at least they know there is at least some demand up here!

OP
OP

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Good deal! I'm down in Rawlins, could almost certainly make it to Casper and back on a single charge. Charger in Shoshoni would make the drive up to Thermopolis a little more comfortable. More comprehensive charging network on I-80 would be my dream, right now I think the only public CCS is a 40kW unit in Cheyenne, so not super convenient

Sponsored

jarross

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
Rawlins would be a pretty good place for a charger as well. And/or Green River to cover that corridor. Probably both to account for the wind and foul weather on I-80. I don't get down that way much as I do most of my adventures in the wind rivers and bighorns.
There are 4-5 Tesla destination chargers by the Fairfield inn (I think they are attached to the hotel next to the Fairfield) in Laramie as well. I think those can be used by non-teslas with an adapter.

OP
OP

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's a very real risk of being stranded on I-80 for a few days while trying to get home! Summer hasn't even ended and forecast is predicting sub-freezing temps hitting this part of the state right after Labor Day, and wind is definitely picking up. If there's anything we know BEVs love, it's cold temps and headwind. Will appreciate any and all opportunities to stop for a DCFC top-off midway through a trip. Just in case!

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
It's a very real risk of being stranded on I-80 for a few days while trying to get home! Summer hasn't even ended and forecast is predicting sub-freezing temps hitting this part of the state right after Labor Day, and wind is definitely picking up. If there's anything we know BEVs love, it's cold temps and headwind. Will appreciate any and all opportunities to stop for a DCFC top-off midway through a trip. Just in case!
I’ll trade you, my summer probably won’t end until mid December. Florida sucks

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

As someone who has long travelled to Pinedale and Jackson from out of state, for 50+ years, and made that trek in a Tesla for the last year in a half, I can empathize with charger opportunities and challenges in all conditions and temperatures. I live today in Moose, north of Jackson. I am confident Rivian will take care of us, both locally and on the primary routes to and from Yellowstone and the Tetons, because north western Wyoming is a one-of-a-kind adventure destination. We may be at the top of the list for the Rivian charging system. Maybe!

neockder

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JK, Scout, Tundra, Chinook, Prius
Occupation
Devs
Ha! I spent 3 days and nights forging I-80 from the western border to Laramie (then down 287) one winter.. It's very real. I feel like a solar roof charging option would be essential.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Ha! I spent 3 days and nights forging I-80 from the western border to Laramie (then down 287) one winter.. It's very real. I feel like a solar roof charging option would be essential.
I just finished a Jackson to Boise round trip and the three chargers between the two cities made it work smoothly with two chargers needed for a comfortable margin— 3/4 of the trip at 80+ MPH on Interstate. Yes, we need additional chargers and a similar or better network accessible by Rivian especially on north/south runs between the interstates. I think that is coming. Anticipating needing it in 2021. Go, go, go, Rivian.

OP
OP

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Wyoming 8wtYSPH

Good news! Looks like the Adventure Network is planning to include pretty decent coverage of the I-80 corridor. Towns I think I can identify:

Cheyenne

Chugwater?/Wheatland?

Casper

Rawlins

Rock Springs

Lander

Jackson

3 in/around Yellowstone- S/W/N entrances?

Sheridan

Gillette

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’d really like to see something in Evanston, WY since I commute between my place in Park City and my cabin near Kemmerer, WY pretty often. Too far to round trip with the 300 mile pack (and borderline with 400 mile pack), but diverting to Rock Springs will add more than an hour to the trip. Looks like they are also putting one near Bear Lake which would also add at least an hour to the trip. My cabin is off grid with a small solar setup, so destination charging there may not be viable. I’m going to reach out to CS and once again express my desire for a RAN charger in Evanston.

OP
OP

torgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Xterra Pro4X; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, that's going to be a little tough. Hopefully that's not a frequent drive during the winter months where you can expect another 20% loss of range when it's no degrees Fahrenheit.

Evanston is our usual "halfway point" between Rawlins and Salt Lake, it would certainly be more convenient to stop and recharge there after a 200 mile leg than after just 100-ish miles in Rock Springs. Hopefully even more DCFC start popping up around I-80 by the end of 2023 along with this charging network

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I’d really like to see something in Evanston, WY since I commute between my place in Park City and my cabin near Kemmerer, WY pretty often. Too far to round trip with the 300 mile pack (and borderline with 400 mile pack), but diverting to Rock Springs will add more than an hour to the trip. Looks like they are also putting one near Bear Lake which would also add at least an hour to the trip. My cabin is off grid with a small solar setup, so destination charging there may not be viable. I’m going to reach out to CS and once again express my desire for a RAN charger in Evanston.
Greg,

I'm with you on hoping Evanston ultimately gets picked by Rivian to becoming a part of the RAN. That would help to further open up the Flaming Gorge, Vernal, and Dinosaur areas in addition to helping the North-South traffic around there.
Sponsored