First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
I really wish Rivian would put a RAN charger in Zion like was said a long time ago. They also need one in Moab/Arches/Canyonlands, Bryce, and Kanab area.

Utah in general has next to no charging. Nobody drive's EVs there. I just road tripped through there on the way to Idaho/Montana and back and for what it's worth I think I saw about a dozen Teslas in all three of those states, and only a single Rivian.
Not remotely accurate about Utah. There are quite a few Rivians in Utah. There are also a lot of Tesla. But yes, the infrastructure is a challenge. That said, I have driven from N. Utah mountain (home) to Moab 4x, St. George 2x, Las Vegas, Lake Powell (hauling a boat), and Jackson (hauling a boat) - in one year. The path between SLC and Vegas is good enough to make it reasonable and to have high speed charging. There is a major gap in S. Utah otherwise, especially in Moab. Green River high speed is the closest.

I did use my first RAN charger in Vegas a few weeks back. That was a good experience, but how pathetic is the RAN network in one of the best spots in the US for using Rivian for what Rivian does best?
Sponsored

Evergreendean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I live in Boulder, Utah and have 2000’s serial number R1T, delivered March 2022. It would be almost impossible to explore around my home if I didn’t live here and have a level 2 charger installed. This is a huge problem for visitors and I just assumed that within a year we’d have some high speed chargers around here. The key locations needed are Hanksville and Escalante, and perhaps one more in Panguich. For now, when I go out to Robbers Roost, the Maze or the San Rafael Swell, I have to add an extra 90 minutes on to both ends to detour to Green River and top off at the unreliable EA charger. I live in the middle of four national parks and I am positive many Rivian owners are not coming here because there is no place to charge unless they get a hotel room and spend a night. I’ve bugged EA and Rivian but I just don’t know if anyone is listening. Not much population out here but we sure are a big target for visitors. We need some chargers damnit!!

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
Love Boulder and if not for the level 2 chargers in Boulder and Escalante, it would be very difficult/impossible to explore that beautiful country.

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
AGREE - Kanab, Moab, Page Arizona even Escalante would go a long way to covering the southern utak wilderness
Yes - Page AZ while not Utah is critical to Southern Utah trips - Lake Powell, Monument Valley, etc.

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

We frequently travel around southern Utah and it has worked out fine. The EA chargers in Mesquite (NV, just before the AZ border) and Cedar City are better than the one in Washington, UT (just outside St. George). There are several decently fast Chargepoint DCFCs in Kanab that we've used a few times and they work fine. I think they max around 62.5kwh, but there are a couple of decent restaurants within a couple of blocks to kill an hour. There's a Chargepoint DCFC in Bluff UT that worked well but that's way down by four corners. There are a lot of L2s at hotels in Springdale and Moab. The EA DCFC off I-70 in Salina worked great. (We didn't use the one in Green River but it has a ton of negative reviews). The Tesla charger in Moab is helpful, but we used a L2 charger at a hotel there and bumped to 100% before heading west. The scariest part was going from Page AZ to Bluff AZ because there are no DCFCs between them, but we made it work with an overnight 100% charge at a hotel in Page. There are also a bunch of good Utah state parks that have full electrical panels including 50amp outlets (Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Kodachrome, Sand Hollow, etc), and they have never given me grief for charging at them.

I do not disagree that Utah needs more DCFCs, but it's doable as is with some planning ahead and patience.

Sponsored

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

Which Cedar City charging site have you used? There is a Tesla Supercharger at the Cedar Band of Paiutes south of the town but there’s a sign that says Tesla only. On our trips from San Diego to Escalante we have to stop in Cedar City for the last 150 miles. Trying to get full charge to get home :)

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Which Cedar City charging site have you used? There is a Tesla Supercharger at the Cedar Band of Paiutes south of the town but there’s a sign that says Tesla only. On our trips from San Diego to Escalante we have to stop in Cedar City for the last 150 miles. Trying to get full charge to get home :)
Walmart EA on the South end of town works fine

OP
OP

Kieran

First Name
Kieran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S75, 2007 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Engineer
how pathetic is the RAN network in one of the best spots in the US for using Rivian for what Rivian does best?
This is exactly my point. Some of the best owner videos posted of Rivians have been from adventures in Utah. And there are zero RANs in the whole state. WTH.

OP
OP

Kieran

First Name
Kieran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S75, 2007 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Engineer
I don't believe there is a RAN in Cheyenne?
Yes, sorry; you are correct. There's a RAN planned/coming to Cheyenne. But not there yet.

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

Utah NEVI awards are out: https://electrek.co/2023/11/14/utah-dc-fast-charging-capacity-2024/

The article says installed by the end of 2024.

Snowville Pilot Flying J Travel Center
Tremonton Maverik
Layton/Ogden Rocky Mountain Power
Delle (I-80) Utah.Energy
Coalville Rocky Mountain Power
Nephi Tesla
Tie Fork Rocky Mountain Power
Price/Wellington Maverik
Fillmore Maverik
Ivie Creek Rocky Mountain Power
Moab Rocky Mountain Power
Thompson Springs Utah.Energy
Cove Fort Rocky Mountain Power
Monticello Maverik
Bluff Rocky Mountain Power

I am personally very excited about Snowville, that stretch from Burley, Idaho to Tremonton, Utah is brutal and that will be a great emergency stop. Also excited to see Maverik win a few.
Sponsored