Sponsored

Would you try it? Thanksgiving + Family, R1T, NC>Florida 800 miles

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
There's a whole bunch of 'baggage' associated with Thanksgiving in my extended family. Let's get that out of the way. Show up late, and you might as well move to North Korea.

I have a new R1T in central North Carolina. Thanksgiving is in SW Florida. I can drive my ICE car with son + wife to visit family, or we can try in the R1T (21" road setup). In the ICE, the door-to-door time would be about 12-13 hours. In the R1T, I'm seeing door-to-door times around 15 hours, with each stop around 30 minutes for charging. ICE car is fine; the R1T would be way more comfortable.
  • I am nervous about broken chargers, or in-use chargers during a very busy holiday period in the USA.
  • Not interested in overnight stops; each drive would be a single-day event. (Wednesday drive to Florida. Saturday drive back to NC)
  • Our family's longest EV trip previously, in my son's BOLT, has been 240 miles, round trip.
  • Is the anxiety about charging infrastructure worth adding onto the anxiety over Thanksgiving and family crap?
  • My son is 'all in' on the idea. My wife maybe hopes we fail and don't actually have to spend T'giving with my family (her in-laws).
Help!
Don’t do it until Rivian gets access to Superchargers. But if you do it, find out first if you can import a Rivian to North Korea.
Sponsored

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

7-11 has several fast charging stations in Tampa and Sarasota, along I-75 and I-4. The 7charge app is very good about showing their status & availability. So that may help part of the Florida trip.

Also - Florida Power & Light has the FPL Evolution app. Many fast chargers on their Florida map

Last edited:

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
I'm taking a little longer trip next weekend. Why buy the truck if I'm afraid of driving it? If it doesn't work for a road trip then I at least learned something.
Taking it on a 1,000-mile each way long trip during the Thanksgiving week is different from taking it on a similar trip a week before the Thanksgiving week, Donald.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Taking it on a 1,000-mile each way long trip during the Thanksgiving week is different from taking it on a similar trip a week before the Thanksgiving week, Donald.
I'll be returning two days before thanksgiving izgoy. My trip is also 1k miles each way.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
I'll be returning two days before thanksgiving izgoy. My trip is also 1k miles each way.
Exactly, Donald. You won’t have to deal with the Thanksgiving rush on the scarce CCS charging infrastructure. I don’t expect you running into the issues that you would run into if you traveled during the Thanksgiving week both ways. CCS is bad enough on a regular day. The Thanksgiving rush this year will likely make it untenable. I expect reports of shootings at CCS locations this year during Thanksgiving between those who wait in line and those who try to cut in line.
https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/phoenix-to-palm-springs-and-back-—-violence-at-ea-chargers.13955/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Exactly, Donald. You won’t have to deal with the Thanksgiving rush on the scarce CCS charging infrastructure. I don’t expect you running into the issues that you would run a week later.
I will be driving a thousand miles two days before thanksgiving to come home. You don't think there will be a holiday rush two days before thanksgiving?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I’d take the trip, but keep driving and make it a beach vacation.

FWIW, though, chargers are going to be more problematic than normal that time of year. Personally I won’t even do a road trip in ICE if travel involves Weds or Sun.

I haven’t had any mechanical problems whatsoever in 10k miles and a year. Doing a road trip to LA this weekend (from the bay area) for college tours with the oldest kid.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Did you use a ChargePoint?. All the ones that were on the route we did rated at 62.5kW speed. We used the EAs (350kW) and it started at 215kW (Rivian can only do up to 221kW) and as it got closer to full charge it dropped to about 115kW. We charged no longer than 45 mins. We also drove early in the morning so there were no lines.
It wasn't ChargePoint. Random charger rated 50kW, actually delivering 40KW.

I would have loved to charge somewhere else, but it was the only (non-tesla) charger between my house and my destination that was not completely offline according to plug share reports.

Last edited:

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

Exactly, Donald. You won’t have to deal with the Thanksgiving rush on the scarce CCS charging infrastructure. I don’t expect you running into the issues that you would run into if you traveled during the Thanksgiving week both ways. CCS is bad enough on a regular day. The Thanksgiving rush this year will likely make it untenable. I expect reports of shootings at CCS locations this year during Thanksgiving between those who wait in line and those who try to cut in line.
https://www.vwidtalk.com/threads/phoenix-to-palm-springs-and-back-—-violence-at-ea-chargers.13955/
Well this certainly escalated quickly. 🤔

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

There's a whole bunch of 'baggage' associated with Thanksgiving in my extended family. Let's get that out of the way. Show up late, and you might as well move to North Korea.

I have a new R1T in central North Carolina. Thanksgiving is in SW Florida. I can drive my ICE car with son + wife to visit family, or we can try in the R1T (21" road setup). In the ICE, the door-to-door time would be about 12-13 hours. In the R1T, I'm seeing door-to-door times around 15 hours, with each stop around 30 minutes for charging. ICE car is fine; the R1T would be way more comfortable.
  • I am nervous about broken chargers, or in-use chargers during a very busy holiday period in the USA.
  • Not interested in overnight stops; each drive would be a single-day event. (Wednesday drive to Florida. Saturday drive back to NC)
  • Our family's longest EV trip previously, in my son's BOLT, has been 240 miles, round trip.
  • Is the anxiety about charging infrastructure worth adding onto the anxiety over Thanksgiving and family crap?
  • My son is 'all in' on the idea. My wife maybe hopes we fail and don't actually have to spend T'giving with my family (her in-laws).
Help!
Also, FL turnpike rest areas have charging stations. Makes it real convenient to charge while eating. Just download the FL power app so you can charge easily.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JackRussellRacing

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Occupation
Business Owner
Also, FL turnpike rest areas have charging stations. Makes it real convenient to charge while eating. Just download the FL power app so you can charge easily.
We might live in the same town, based on your avatar. Just sayin'

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Since you added all this extra after I quoted you, You're acting irrational to predict shootings at chargers because people won't wait in line. Then you quote a little argument on another forum as your proof. Wow man.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
I will be driving a thousand miles two days before thanksgiving to come home. You don't think there will be a holiday rush two days before thanksgiving?
I think the real holiday rush will be the day before the Thanksgiving, and I think it will be really bad this year. Probably reports of violence at CCS chargers will follow this year’s Thanksgiving week.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Since you added all this extra after I quoted you, You're acting irrational to predict shootings at chargers because people won't wait in line. Then you quote a little argument on another forum as your proof. Wow man.
You didn’t read the whole thing that mentions the woman threatening to shoot multiple people, did you? And what does a different forum have to do with anything? The ID.4 uses the same CCS chargers as the Rivian.

Wow, Donald!

Have a nice trip.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We might live in the same town, based on your avatar. Just sayin'
Actually I’m in Oriental - - my brother is in Clemmons & I visit his place for football weekends.
Sponsored