First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
The Human Race as a whole is not advanced enough for this to work. There is no way I trust the scammers, and other terrible humans out there who will trash that vehicle both inside and out, take the tires, take the motors, take whatever isn't nailed down and replace it with shit.

I mean since I was a kid I've been surprised with the pure deviousness and evil that people do. My first experience was watching someone rent a video from the store, copy it badly, cut the tape open, swap the reels, return it and say it was damaged/not playing right and get another free rental.

Turo cars get parts removed/swapped for a broken one, interiors puked in or worse, etc. Sure that person is banned from the service but you eat the damages/loss of vehicle until it's fixed, if it's ever fixed.

Unless they invent a trunk monkey that comes out and beats the crap out of a person behaving badly when it happens, not going to participate in this ever.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Doesn't sound much different than AirBnB/VRBO for cars. So no, I wouldn't do it for my own vehicle. With a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, I can see people doing it. But probably not for myself.

NEIL JURMAN

First Name
NeilGoigle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Touring, 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe
Occupation
Business Owner: Airport Transportation Service of Inverness Florida
Yes! Im going to use my Midnight Black R1S for Airport Transportation. When the options are available to drive itself then the robotic function will take over so i can sleep and still make money!!! If the customers are ready for it!

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I fully expect the R1T and R1S to be a high value choice on Turo (basically airBNB for cars) the next 2-3,years given the rarity and feature set. Rented a model Y a few months ago. I was careful with the car, partly because it tracks reputation, you see the person you rent from, the Turo app has you take lots of pictures before and after renting. . From what I can tell EVs are pretty highly valued by Turo customers, on the higher end of the scale.

seems likely Rivian’s will earn several times more than you’d pay renting a pickup from uhaul or homedepot, will be more like getting a jeep or convertible or big luxury suv from hertz, $120-150 a day maybe?

I’m buying a Rivian to drive I whenever I want. I don’t see myself renting it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NEIL JURMAN

First Name
NeilGoigle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Touring, 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe
Occupation
No. I absolutely don't want faceless people getting into my vehicle and making it a mess, and wearing it out faster
. I also don't want to run a robotaxi business, so no extra vehicle just to perform that function

Uhaul rents pickup trucks. Home Depot rents pickup trucks. If people need to use one, they already have options.
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

NEIL JURMAN

First Name
NeilGoigle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I think Elon and Cathie Wood both underestimate how much current generations value ownership and privacy. Maybe future generations will be cool with strangers popping in and out of their vehicle day-to-day, but I don’t know many people who are that trusting today.

What’s more likely is businesses dedicated to robotaxi services, which will probably consume Tesla’s factory capacity. I don’t think many individuals will be on board for a while, myself included.
I'd like to do this but i need to ride along to make sure they kept my $100,000 vehicle clean!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If I did this I’d buy a second one to have people beat on. It’s just like being a landlord, I’ll rent out a rental house but I won’t be renting out my house. Most Airbnb properties were bought for that purpose and not people’s actual houses

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Once we get to full autonomous capability, I will rename my R1S James. I will take out the 3rd row seat and redo the back seats in a Rolls Royce fashion. James will Chaufer me everywhere while I do very unimportant things on my phone.
Sponsored