Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Hi folks, a couple winter questions for you:

1) Snow mode, is there any recommended speed limit on it or is it just reduced regen, suspension etc stuff?

2) Truck complains about radar sensors and helpfully shows some blocks (though the warning comes and goes very quickly):
Rivian R1T R1S Winter questions IMG_2224.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Winter questions IMG_2223.JPG

It seems the middle one is behind the painted surface between the lights, there was little snow/ice on it. Seems if it can get through the front material/paint it should have been ok for some ice? It banged off easily.

3) The side sensors its highlighting look like traditional ultra sonic sensors used for parking (little round circles on the bumper). Is that right? Are they something more than USS? Or am I looking at the wrong thing and they're behind the bumper too?
Sponsored

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

1) Snow mode, is there any recommended speed limit on it or is it just reduced regen, suspension etc stuff?
I don't believe there is a speed limit, but I believe there are more adjustments than what you can simply control via the drive modes tab in the UI.

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
Snow mode is just low regen. That’s it. You can tinker with height, but otherwise, it’s the same as all purpose. They may have tweaked torque, but they don’t mention that. Recommended speed is whatever you feel comfortable with in snow.

USS look like they do on all other cars. The only other thing I can think of is the radars at the corners of the car and up front. Those you can’t see.

OP
OP
the_mace

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Snow mode is just low regen. That’s it. You can tinker with height, but otherwise, it’s the same as all purpose. They may have tweaked torque, but they don’t mention that. Recommended speed is whatever you feel comfortable with in snow.

USS look like they do on all other cars. The only other thing I can think of is the radars at the corners of the car and up front. Those you can’t see.
Ok so there are hidden radars on the corners I cant see and need to clear as well as the hidden one in the middle. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
the_mace

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Snow mode features a softened pedal response and low Regen setting.

https://stories.rivian.com/software-update-snow-mode
Forgot about that thanks!

I've never seen it do this part:
"The vehicle will automatically nudge you to switch to the new mode if you’re in Conserve and it detects wheel slip and an ambient outdoor temperature of 34 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. "

My wife drove it yesterday in the snow and forgot about snow mode. Its interesting it only does it in conserve as she/we only use that when were on long road trips, not the daily highway/running around stuff.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Forgot about that thanks!

I've never seen it do this part:
"The vehicle will automatically nudge you to switch to the new mode if you’re in Conserve and it detects wheel slip and an ambient outdoor temperature of 34 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. "

My wife drove it yesterday in the snow and forgot about snow mode. Its interesting it only does it in conserve as she/we only use that when were on long road trips, not the daily highway/running around stuff.
Very welcome. Yeah I haven't seen that in action either. I have had slippage with our R1S in conserve on a long road trip. It was raining and stopping to charge. Ambient was well above 34F though.

Sparky_Z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S / Toyota Highlander / 1980 Fiat Spider
Clubs

Interesting. I could swear I've noticed on the diagnostics screen that my dual motor is sending power more evenly to the rear wheels in snow mode, while primarily driving the fronts wheels in all purpose. Could be my imagination/wishful thinking.

not_a_car_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Perf Dual Motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Interesting. I could swear I've noticed on the diagnostics screen that my dual motor is sending power more evenly to the rear wheels in snow mode, while primarily driving the fronts wheels in all purpose. Could be my imagination/wishful thinking.
I've noticed this with my dual motor as well for sure. Both the acceleration and regen more consistently use both motors at any speed, whereas in all purpose the acceleration tends to use both motors at low speeds but only the front motor at higher speeds. Mine is a perf dual motor, but I'm not sure that matters.
Sponsored