Windshield Wipers Turn On When Reversing

Vince Cantore

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
When I shift into reverse, the windshield wipers turn on. Not sure why this happens but wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's when I take it out of park and there was something on the windshield. If it's dusty it'll do it.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
There are numerous reports across the forum of shifting to D or R and the wipers wipe once.

I keep my wipers off, turn to auto if it is raining or push the button on the stalk for a single wipe.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Little known fact that the motion involved in reversing a Rivian is exactly the same as an ancient tribal rain dance. The wipers are just looking out for you in case you inadvertently start a monsoon season.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Happened when I backed out of my air conditioned garage yesterday into the 172% DC area humidity.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine only does it when in “auto” windshield wiper mode when I shift into D or R from park. It’s very hot and dusty here so I surmised that it’s interpreting the particulate material on my windshield as moisture.

I’ve never had it happen with auto turned off.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I have now had this happen twice in the last 2 weeks. Wipers are set to "Off". Windshield was very clean both times. I've had my truck since the end of June and it just started wiping the windshield one time when shifting into reverse. I am going to reset the infotainment system this weekend and see if that kills the little gremlin.

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I asked and I think I have seen it posed other places this is a "feature" when dust is detected on the window when you initially put it in drive or reverse the wipers will activate once. So its expected.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Little known fact that the motion involved in reversing a Rivian is exactly the same as an ancient tribal rain dance. The wipers are just looking out for you in case you inadvertently start a monsoon season.
Maybe Chakotay can help then. Though he’ll probably tell us that there’s an Akoonah app, but you need CarPlay…

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Questionable feature -- why run a dry rubber blade over dust? A good way to get scratches.
Sponsored