First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RT1
Occupation
Architect
Is it me or does this truck just have a lot of wind noise coming from the front windshield section? Even at 40 mph, I can hear wind noises everywhere. I was looking at the front and I suspect that the separation between the glass and the black cover in the A pilar is trapping air in there, time to apply some duct tape and see what happens. If that is the culprit I just don't know how to solve it aside from filling the gaps with black silicone.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Is it me or does this truck just have a lot of wind noise coming from the front windshield section? Even at 40 mph, I can hear wind noises everywhere. I was looking at the front and I suspect that the separation between the glass and the black cover in the A pilar is trapping air in there, time to apply some duct tape and see what happens. If that is the culprit I just don't know how to solve it aside from filling the gaps with black silicone.
Check the applique between the windshield and the roof. Many earlier builds had this panel depressed beyond design, leaving an exposed lip on the leading edge of the roof. This panel has been replaced for many members with wind noise.

Gdorff

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi RS5
Occupation
Business owner / CIO
I've noticed a lot of upper windshield noise on my truck anything above 40mph with a slight wind outside or highway speeds it's really bad..

I've had the small triangle window replaced but I agree with you I think this has to do with the rubber in the A pillar. I have a ticket open with Rivian because mine started to wrinkle /warp and I noticed the windshield wasn't center between the two pillars (shifted more towards the driver side giving a large gap on the passenger side)

I've been waiting since July for Rivian to finish developing a "repair plan" to fix this issue

Rivian R1T R1S Wind noise PXL_20220710_174035529~2

Rivian R1T R1S Wind noise PXL_20220710_174244661~2

Rivian R1T R1S Wind noise PXL_20220710_174239247~3

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Is this your first EV? If so, you WILL hear more noises that usual due to the lack of 1000 moving parts and mini explosions to propel you, hahaha.

OP
OP

mrturbo16

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RT1
Occupation
Architect
I will try applying tape to those areas and see what happens and let everyone know. Just by the look of it, there are so many crevasses and depressed joints that should help by smoothing them out. I agree with the moving parts, but we have an x5 that is just as big a vehicle and the wind noise is not even close to the R1T.

Sponsored

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It could be a leaky windshield. I feel like mine is super quiet overall. I had an explorer in the past that had a leaky windshield and the wind noise got crazy over time until they replaced it.

Sunfarmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I feel like the R1T has a lot of wind noise as well. I tried painter tape over the gaps around the windshield and glass roof, but it made no difference in the actual db level.

Using an iPhone app I recorded 72 db at 70 mph on interstate highway with and without the tape. For comparison my 2019 Ram diesel shows 68 db at 70mph on the interstate.

Does anyone else have actual db measurements to share from their R1T?

cleex024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model x
Is this your first EV? If so, you WILL hear more noises that usual due to the lack of 1000 moving parts and mini explosions to propel you, hahaha.
I really don't like when people make this comment.... it sounds like everyone is moving to 100k dollar evs from civics or something lol...I think most are moving over from 50k dollar cars and up and every car I would think most of us are moving from is fairly quiet.

I heard this statement so much that I even tested with a decibel reader in my model x, model y, audi s8, bmw x7, mb s600 Maybach, accord, camry and the model y and model x were the loudest at highway speeds

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Model 3, 2024 Mustang GT
Occupation
Self Employed
We initially had a loaner truck for a week before taking delivery of our actual rt1. The loaner had noticeable wind noise coming from the passenger side a-pillar. I mentioned it to the guys when they dropped off our truck and picked up the loaner. They said they've seen a few trucks come in that needed a seal replaced in that area and that was probably it.

Our truck does not have this issue and is comfortably quiet (especially for a truck) at all speeds.

williescout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, R1T, PS2, Landcruiser
I feel like the R1T has a lot of wind noise as well. I tried painter tape over the gaps around the windshield and glass roof, but it made no difference in the actual db level.

Using an iPhone app I recorded 72 db at 70 mph on interstate highway with and without the tape. For comparison my 2019 Ram diesel shows 68 db at 70mph on the interstate.

Does anyone else have actual db measurements to share from their R1T?
Using the app called Decibel Meter with an iPhone, I get 75-85dB at 65mph+. For me it seems most of the wind noise is coming from the driver side window/top corner of windshield area. I have a service center appointment but I'm considering just living with it as I have my doubts the service center will be able to solve it. What do you think?
Sponsored