What's so $pecial About "Rivian Blue"

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
just another way to upcharge and make higher profits.
Correct! Given White is the only non-metallic offered, all other colors are basically the same process-wise, Rivian's paint process looks to be common practice and nothing exceptional. Some color options may be a bit more expensive for materials, but maybe $500-$600. So the upcharge of $2,500 for a basic Metalic Blue is definitely just premium pricing of a color.
Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
I do like that Blue, but not going to lie - Limestone has my attention as well. That being said, I would like to see more diverse colors later down the road. An orange (and not that obnoxious "glow in the day" orange) would be nice as well as some time of wine/purple'ish color, but that's just me.
You mean like this color orange and this color maroon? I love burnt orange, for obvious reasons, but I think a maroon R1S would look really nice.

Rivian R1T R1S What's so $pecial About "Rivian Blue" 041AE79F-5E27-4D8B-A72C-2F7E8FC72872

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Sometimes the paint is more expensive, but not $2500 more of course. But Porsche and others have realized that paying more for paint is something people are willing to do. So why not.

I will say, I was never interested in the Blue until I test drove a Blue truck and in person, it is kind of special. I am considering switching from Green to Blue. I can't really explain it or justify it. It's just really looks good on this design.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
If you really like Rivian Blue, $2,500 is a small premium to pay. In 2012, Tesla was offering a custom paint color option for $12,000 but they discontinued it fairly quickly.

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Speaking of Porsche, I assume they still have the custom paint option where they will match any color (of course, assuming it is feasible). Want a truck that the matches the blue of your Husky's eyes? No problem, just send them a chip! (Of course it's a tad bit more than $2500)

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think it's for people like me who have been trying to decide between Forrest Green and El Cap Granite....

Luckily I think I have now landed on my decision: Rivian Blue

( :facepalm: I have collected so many of these emails... Your R1T configuration has been updated )

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
I bounce between
Launch/Forest edge - +2k
Forest green/ocean - +1.5k
Rivian Blue/ocean - +2.5k

$1000 diff is negligible on a purchase of this caliber. Literally 75c a day for the life of the vehicle

The hardest decision is off road package for my mall cruiser for resale

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
It’s funny to me how Rivian has priced the color options as I would rank them. I’ve been locked into Rivian Blue since they first opened the configurator. I have never been a fan of yellow, but Compass Yellow is my second choice, which coincidentally is the only other color priced at $2500.

Admittedly this only holds personally in regards to the R1T. To me, the R1T looks best in blue or yellow, but the R1S looks best in Forest Green with the 22s with white as a close second.

I do not understand Red Canyon. I don’t see why anyone would prefer that color, let alone pay extra for it.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I have the same question for the pricing of wheel upgrades. $3,500 to go to a smaller 20" black wheel? Wow. They charge these premiums for one reason, not cost.....because they can! As far as wheels go, I'll take the 21's at no cost and go buy a set of custom wheels and tires for around $2,500 and will have two sets instead of just one.

Likewise, on paint. At $2,500 for a flat color (non-metallic or pearl), it's pricy. I'm sure the paint cost may be higher due to the rarity of the color, but not $2,500. At that price point, it's nearing the cost of what you could have the truck wrapped for. For those into the non-traditional whites, blacks, grays, silvers, might want to consider wrapping instead. Pick any color you want. These, let's call them "unique" colors will appeal to the buyers they appeal to, but certainly far fewer than those not interested in something different or unique. Getting a base color at no cost, then wrapping it, increases the pool of buyers at the time you want to resell and/or gives you the option to easily change it if you get bored of it.

Just a thought. I'm pretty conservative, so, the basic colors are to my liking. But, if I wanted an off the wall color, I'd get the basic one and wrap it so I'm not locked into that choice forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rad

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Speaking of Porsche, I assume they still have the custom paint option where they will match any color (of course, assuming it is feasible). Want a truck that the matches the blue of your Husky's eyes? No problem, just send them a chip! (Of course it's a tad bit more than $2500)
Well there are colors which are free and some which are optioned at $4K. Then you have PTS (Paint to Sample) colors which are usually an option of ANY color that was available in prior years, even very old. PTS is about $12K. Was $10K when I bought mine (no I didn't get it).

Then there's an even more special options (I forgot the name), but you can literally customize anything. You want a mixture of carbon fiber and rainbow colors for your hood, plus your name embroidered and lit up with LEDs on the seats? That can be many tens of thousands depending on what you want.

Porsche is crazy with their available options.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Surprised how little love LA Silver gets for being a "standard" zero-cost paint. I haven't personally seen it but many times during 2020-21 prototype sightings it was described as a vibrant, deep silver with blue undertones. That sounds pretty good for not paying a dime more.

If L.E. Green wasn't a free paint upgrade then I would go with LA Silver for sure. It also has the appeal of blending very nicely with all 3 interior palettes

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Surprised how little love LA Silver gets for being a "standard" zero-cost paint. I haven't personally seen it but many times during 2020-21 prototype sightings it was described as a vibrant, deep silver with blue undertones. That sounds pretty good for not paying a dime more.

If L.E. Green wasn't a free paint upgrade then I would go with LA Silver for sure. It also has the appeal of blending very nicely with all 3 interior palettes
My build is LA Silver with Adventure Package and black interior. I’m not a fan of the default wheels so went with 22” sport bright. I’m admittedly not much of an off-roader, but plan to haul bikes, paddle boards, etc.

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
There's an up-charge of $2500 for Rivian Blue.

Some auto companies have an extra-premium paint that costs more but also has extra layers of paint and fancy technologies in the layering.

So what's the deal with Rivian Blue? Are we paying for the privilege of blue, or is the paint a better, more fancy, richer, thicker, higher quality paint?

Same question for Yellow too, I suppose.
Yes indeed and the paint up-charge is usually around $500 to $ 600 not 2500.00 RJ please justify this paint charge for Rivian Blue ... is it because it is popular so price gauging is in order.

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
The more I read on this forum as well as daily news on EV production I am becoming very disillusioned about their corporate culture with people who have supported them for past 3-4 years like myself.... They pushed deliveries back for many reasons but first and foremost is the AMAZON delivery trucks causing all this. I am not Jeff Besos but believed in Rivian for the product not corporate dick sucking.

dyb51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 M3 Coupe
From pics and videos I really liked Rivian Blue and Launch Green...and had Launch Green configured for the longest time. I was convinced the last decision I needed to make was the interior...Forest Edge or Black Mountain. When I saw Rivian Blue and Launch Green in person in direct sunlight I clearly did not love either. Still thought they looked amazing with little to no light in person. And, I thought the Forest Edge alcantara headliner in light green was just too much. So, consider this a public service announcement and a word of caution if you plan on committing without seeing the colors in person! I'll probably post the same in the Launch Green thread and risk getting hazed.
Sponsored