Sponsored

What will we learn on Thursday? A Predictions Thread...

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

For everyone who is upset about no new information, you have a valid complaint! It was Rivian itself that said there would be more information this week. Most press releases or public statements are well laid out and filtered. When a company says "More to come next week", it is completely understandable to expect more to come next week. Granted we are only on Friday and depending on how you view weeks, Rivian has until Sunday night.

It is a very bad sign if Rivian says something is coming in a few days and still can't meet that goal!

Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn on Thursday?  A Predictions Thread... twit.JPG
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

For everyone who is upset about no new information, you have a valid complaint! It was Rivian itself that said there would be more information this week. Most press releases or public statements are well laid out and filtered. When a company says "More to come next week", it is completely understandable to expect more to come next week. Granted we are only on Friday and depending on how you view weeks, Rivian has until Sunday night.

It is a very bad sign if Rivian says something is coming in a few days and still can't meet that goal!

twit.JPG

Technically Saturday at 11:59 haha. Im waiting to see whats up. Like I said either a big website change or a video saying more is coming. Here is some footage of cool shit to get you more amped.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

This is actually starting to worry me....

I just did a chat session with CS rep (Olivia) asking about why the social media post saying news regarding some kind of "thing" happening in So.Cal was supposed to come this week and it hasn't yet.

All I got was a word-salad answer, " I completely understand your frustrations on there not being a follow up this week. We are excited to share more information with our community soon! "

I then mentioned a growing level of frustration within the Rivian super-fan community regarding the radio-silence on pretty much all information / communication. ...... then chat just cut off. :lipssealed::computerrage:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

If we get what i suspect, we will be getting a roughly 2-4 minute montage of "we are out testing this vehicle on dirt roads, away from the city, oh and we are mountain biking along the way, and Hiking!" insert some random easter egg we will spend the next 3 hours scanning over every frame to unlock and then the caption "More information coming Soon!"

Just temper your expectations, we would all likely climb Everest if we knew there was a thumb drive at the top with a vehicle deep dive video on it. If, BIG IF, there were a delay we would have known about it by now given the communication leading up to the initial push back. While I do feel Covid had a role in that, I think it was a small part of it and they needed the breathing room for further refinement and validation.

I think we are fatigued having waited this long to continue to get dribbles of information but I think we are obsessing about some little things that in the end are almost meaningless.

Do we know what the vehicles look like? yes
Do we know their range? Yes, since day 1 230, 300+, 400+
Does it have screens? Yes, three
Does it have a big Frunk? Yes, there are dozens of videos out there of it (granted, not the final exact hook placements inside)
Does it have leg room? Yes, its designed for the 85thish percentile adult to sit at a comfortable position with room, with a person in front or behind
Does it come with a tent if I want it? You bet, pricing will come. If you don't like it don't buy from them.
How will towing affect my range? Website says, "towing 11,000 lbs and depending on several factors (aero hills etc) expect to get about 50% range." Not one company out there will tell us how range is affected if there is a tent on the roof, or if we are towing a trailer that weighs 2k vs 5k vs 11k so why ask or expect it?
Do I want to know the epa? sure, but what will that information give me that I don't already have?
My Xterra gets great mileage when I drive the speed limit and don't give it the beans, but when I do, wait where'd the gas go? The rivian will be the same. Drive fast, you can't expect the same full range.

My big one infotainment. Deal break breaker? Honestly how can they make it worse than 99% of the other companies out there? The bits we've seen from their initial in house videos almost 2 years ago showed it to be a tile based system swiping left or right and then either keeping multiple on screen at once or making one full screen. This has likely changed over the years to now, but whatever they come out with will be fine if not fantastic and may take some getting used to as tesla did at first but we'll get there.

For comparison to our situation, Who put down money on the new tesla roadster/cybertruck? what do you know about it more than rivian? when was delivery of each supposed to start originally?

Ps... that rant probably sounded bitchy, but I drive an Xterra so makes sense :cool:

Okay, did Rivian post something yet? haha

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
This is actually starting to worry me....

I just did a chat session with CS rep (Olivia) asking about why the social media post saying news regarding some kind of "thing" happening in So.Cal was supposed to come this week and it hasn't yet.

All I got was a word-salad answer, " I completely understand your frustrations on there not being a follow up this week. We are excited to share more information with our community soon! "

I then mentioned a growing level of frustration within the Rivian super-fan community regarding the radio-silence on pretty much all information / communication. ...... then chat just cut off. :lipssealed::computerrage:
They might as well save money and let a computer chat with us. Just program it to say the same thing over and over again "we are excited to share more info soon!" "Can't wait to get you in a truck soon!". People are very frustrated. If Rivian doesn't give us a perfect product I think we will lose our minds. We will know they hurried and it will make things worse.

Sponsored

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Tesla fans and detractors talk about "Elon time" , the lack of communication and how hard it is to communicate with Tesla.

I hope Rivian and RJ aren't copying those parts of the EV startup formula.

While It is understandable that events on the ground can impact plans, early adopters have expectations.

With the introduction of the model S, Tesla had several advantages that allowed it to handle itself in a manner that most companies could not. I do not think at this point in time Rivian will have that same luxury (if it does, it will be to a much lesser extent).

Rivian should figure out a better way to manage expectations through communication. The lack of updates reminds me of the Tesla Roadster. I was going to put a deposit down but the lack of media about the vehicle had me concerned. About a year and a half ago I posted on TMC that the Roadster was at least 2+ years out (my bet is 2024/2025).

Obviously Rivian isn't in that position with it's first vehicle, but I am getting worried about their timelines.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

twit.JPG
In fairness this tweet is vague and could be construed to mean more road tripping to come next week.
don't beat me up just playing devils advocate here as I'm sure they intended communication to follow.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

In fairness this tweet is vague and could be construed to mean more road tripping to come next week.
don't beat me up just playing devils advocate here as I'm sure they intended communication to follow.
That would suck, but you do have a point

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

That would suck, but you do have a point
Yep, so post a picture with no details and fulfill the promise of "more to come" :CWL:

That would stop all of the bitching!

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yep, so post a picture with no details and fulfill the promise of "more to come" :CWL:

That would stop all of the bitching!
Soon, we'll get a picture that says Soon! at the bottome hahaha

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

This is me trying to "lighten the room"

What if, they update the website, and at the top you have R1T R1S Experience and... Soon.

You click on it and it takes you to a page that says in the middle "Coming Soon!"

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Just got some unfortunate news;
*** Apparently recent raw materials and sub assemblies from vendors cost increases have made it so all R1's for the foreseeable future will be sold at significant loss. Rivian is trying to secure additional investment funds to cover the cost but previous investors are getting hesitant. Rivian is reluctant to go public showing steep looses so now they are scrambling to find a solution... selling cars is the only way out but ironically is causing huge losses that can't be covered. Looks like all our orders are in jeopardy! ***

There... in the absence of Rivian communication I will fill the void with completely irresponsible, and probably false, communication.
*** Obviously I made this up and has no bearing in reality.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

This is me trying to "lighten the room"

What if, they update the website, and at the top you have R1T R1S Experience and... Soon.

You click on it and it takes you to a page that says in the middle "Coming Soon!"

Rivian R1T R1S What will we learn on Thursday?  A Predictions Thread... 1620407584925
Sponsored