Sponsored

What if Tesla spun off the SuperCharger network to an independent company and gave up the NACS to an independent organization?

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

This thread has some of the dumbest responses I've seen on the forum. Any manufacturer/Power Company/Oil Company is free to create their own network. Some probably will, but pissin in the Tesla Cheerio bowl because they had a head start and better charging tech is silly. There will be other options, it's just going to take some time.

One downside to the spinning it off idea is the Tesla app and interface is light years ahead of the competition at the moment imho.
Yeah, I think a lot of people didn’t read my original post (I explained I was attempting to come up with a solution which could make both “sides” happy while also admitting that making everyone happy is impossible), aren’t taking the timing of that post into account (before Rivian announced they were jumping in), and don’t understand the difference between people choosing to buy into a network versus being forced to use a network because it has become a monopoly by driving competition out of business in their area.

Regarding the app, I assume the devs could bifurcate it: retaining common code which diverges at that point. Remove the car-related features from one and the charging-related features from the other.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The other auto makers are already on board. Why would Tesla spin off a profit-generator now? When you have Tesla, Ford, GM, and Rivian’s EV’s you have what… 90% of electric vehicles already in the fold? There’s no reason for Tesla to give away anything more than what they’ve confidentially already given up to get those deals, which I’m guessing wasn’t much.
Oh, I’m sure they won’t. If the Supercharger network effectively becomes a nationwide public utility they may be forced to. I don’t think we’ve seen anything exactly like this so I don’t know how it’ll turn out. My idea was really one of a potential ideal situation if everyone was working for the common good. As if that is going to happen.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I don’t think Tesla should offload the Superchargers at all. I also fully expect for any car that is not Tesla to pay more. If not then Tesla will move towards some other way to make it less expensive for Tesla owners like via the loot box.

What it looks like is Tesla is working towards NACS as a charging connector standard. If people relate that to good charging and using Tesla supercharging network that on them. Tesla already uses CCS protocols and has been since 2019.

I bet the only thing that is happening in back door meetings is pricing and length of time for such. It also could be in the case of Rivian swapping time on RAN and not much about the connector. All hypothetical of course.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

You’re hanging on to the App Store comparison but I think I showed how that doesn’t really work here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...an-independent-organization.15987/post-347818
Noted - just disagree with your position.

I think Elon Musk is a liability to Tesla at this point, but that doesn’t mean I hate him or Tesla. I just don’t trust him as far as I could throw a near-infinite mass which, coincidentally, I am supposed to believe a Cybertruck can tow because Elon/Tesla told me....
Could not disagree more on this point. Without Elon, Tesla would be just another EV car company. Tesla is so much more than that. If Tesla lost Elon for any reason, the stock price would have the same multiple as other EV companies.

Clearly he puts stake on the ground well beyond the norm and sets the bar high for Tesla. So much so that most people think he is a wacko or is a liability to the company.

This is exactly the same MO he has for SpaceX. No one, including NASA thought brining booster 1st stage back and land it on a barge was possible. NASA spent (tax payers money) hundreds of millions of dollars studying the feasibilities with the aerospace industry trying to make this possible. SpaceX just did it on their own. Yes they had a launch contract with the government but did not have any contract to develop reusable 1st stage.

So, we'll see about how successful Cybertruck is or is not soon enough...

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Noted - just disagree with your position.

Could not disagree more on this point. Without Elon, Tesla would be just another EV car company. Tesla is so much more than that. If Tesla lost Elon for any reason, the stock price would have the same multiple as other EV companies.

Clearly he puts stake on the ground well beyond the norm and sets the bar high for Tesla. So much so that most people think he is a wacko or is a liability to the company.

This is exactly the same MO he has for SpaceX. No one, including NASA thought brining booster 1st stage back and land it on a barge was possible. NASA spent (tax payers money) hundreds of millions of dollars studying the feasibilities with the aerospace industry trying to make this possible. SpaceX just did it on their own. Yes they had a launch contract with the government but did not have any contract to develop reusable 1st stage.

So, we'll see about how successful Cybertruck is or is not soon enough...
Elon is great at starting companies and getting them going. At this point he should let go of Tesla and space x. He’s not really running space x anyway.

And NASA and the industry knew it was possible to land a rocket and reuse it, they just didn’t think it was worth the cost. The difference was that space x actually put the up the money to do it vs everyone else.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Elon is great at starting companies and getting them going. At this point he should let go of Tesla and space x. He’s not really running space x anyway.
It's not about running the company. It's about leading and directing the company. Just as ship's captain is not steering the craft.

There are plenty of competent operations people that can run companies. Those that can lead and direct successfully towards the future are few and far apart. And these kind of people all have very noticeable flaws too...

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It's not about running the company. It's about leading and directing the company. Just as ship's captain is not steering the craft.

There are plenty of competent operations people that can run companies. Those that can lead and direct successfully towards the future are few and far apart. And these kind of people all have very noticeable flaws too...
He’s way to distracted with twitter and playing politics to be an effective leader of anything these days.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

He’s way to distracted with twitter and playing politics to be an effective leader of anything these days.
Your just repeating the press.

EVERY CEO, including RJ, play politics. It's necessary to run a company. Elon just does it publicly, unlike others.

As for Twitter, he's hired a CEO. Historically Elon has always taken on multiple activities - he has said he is ADHD.
Sponsored