Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Just to clarify how Nationwide’s New Car Replacement works, this is directly from our policy. Note: We have Nationwide Private Client, which has a different underwriter, but this is a Nationwide policy. We are in Virginia, so this may vary by state.

Nationwide New Car Replacement:
“We will replace a vehicle to which New Car Replacement coverage applies, minus the applicable deductible, if the vehicle is declared a total loss due to an accident.

The amount we will pay to replace a vehicle will not exceed the cost of a new vehicle of the same make and model, with the same equipment as the vehicle to which the coverage applies.

The most we will pay to replace a vehicle to which this coverage applies is 120% of the suggested MSRP of the vehicle being replaced.”

This coverage does not apply to loss from fire, flood or theft.

We had agreed upon value on our R1T, but switched to NCR because after 6mo Crestbrook (the underwriter for Nationwide Private Client) wanted us to have an appraisal completed to confirm the value. We set the value to the current sale price of an R1T, not the pre 3/1 price we paid.

I will say agreed upon value is typically the better route. There’s no question what you’re getting. But after discussing this with our broker, NCR made sense for the R1T. (We’ve had a total loss claim before, not on a vehicle, and agreed upon value was awesome)
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
This is all you get from Progressive in Oregon. Their idea of specifics leaves a lot to be desired. The Declarations Page just states the types of coverage for the rider, the deductible, and the six-month cost of that particular rider. Below I have added their idea of clarification for the Actual Cash Value rider that we have on our R1T and Volvo. I've truncated the page to point out what concerns me. The full "document" is here. Progressive Total Loss Claims

Total Loss
When an accident causes extensive or costly damage to your vehicle, we may determine it’s not practical to complete repairs (this usually means that repairs cost more than the actual cash value of your vehicle). If this is the case, your car is determined a total loss, and we issue you and/or your lienholder payment for the value of your car (minus your deductible if you’re a Progressive policyholder). We need to complete an inspection of your vehicle before we can determine the value and whether it’s a total loss.

We know this experience can be stressful—and in some cases emotional. If you have a total loss, we manage the process for you and answer any questions you have along the way. Here are a few of the most common questions.

How much will I get for my vehicle?
We pay you its actual cash value — which is the market value of your vehicle based upon several factors, such as its pre-loss condition, age, options, mileage, etc. — minus any applicable deductible if you’re Progressive insured. We work with a third- party to help determine the actual cash value. Then, we give the payment to you/the vehicle owner, your lender, or both.

And then here is a real kick in the pants.....

Can I get a rental car?
If you’re a Progressive policyholder, and you have rental coverage on your policy, we cover the cost of a rental vehicle for up to three days (after we let you know the value of your vehicle). If you’re not a Progressive policyholder, your claims rep explains the rental process.

Based on most forum members experience, this ain't gonna cut it. I am considering moving just the R1T over to Nationwide, or another carrier that actually covers what we feel to be fair. It's frustrating for me as I spent 14 years in the financial services industry as a financial advisor. Man, and I thought life insurance was a PIA! LOL

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Just to clarify how Nationwide’s New Car Replacement works, this is directly from our policy. Note: We have Nationwide Private Client, which has a different underwriter, but this is a Nationwide policy. We are in Virginia, so this may vary by state.

Nationwide New Car Replacement:
“We will replace a vehicle to which New Car Replacement coverage applies, minus the applicable deductible, if the vehicle is declared a total loss due to an accident.

The amount we will pay to replace a vehicle will not exceed the cost of a new vehicle of the same make and model, with the same equipment as the vehicle to which the coverage applies.

The most we will pay to replace a vehicle to which this coverage applies is 120% of the suggested MSRP of the vehicle being replaced.”

This coverage does not apply to loss from fire, flood or theft.

We had agreed upon value on our R1T, but switched to NCR because after 6mo Crestbrook (the underwriter for Nationwide Private Client) wanted us to have an appraisal completed to confirm the value. We set the value to the current sale price of an R1T, not the pre 3/1 price we paid.

I will say agreed upon value is typically the better route. There’s no question what you’re getting. But after discussing this with our broker, NCR made sense for the R1T. (We’ve had a total loss claim before, not on a vehicle, and agreed upon value was awesome)
Thank you for the details. There is so much to consider and evaluate when making these decisions.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Thank you for the details. There is so much to consider and evaluate when making these decisions.
We never thought much about it until we had a total loss on a boat. Fortunately we had good insurance and it was agreed upon value.

After that experience we decided to look closer at our homeowners, umbrella and auto coverage. We switched from what’s commonly referred to as “retail“ insurance (your Allstate, Statefarm, Progressive, etc) to a private client policy. Our broker (who manages our business insurance) isn’t tied to one particular company and was able to compare a few products from Chubb, Cincinnati, Nationwide Private Client, etc. At the end of the day the private client insurance is far more customizable and covers more. The rates were very close (within 5-10%) to our old State Farm policies. One good example, with State Farm the homeowners policy had a cap on dwelling replacement if there was a total loss (say a fire). Most homeowners policies have this. Our Nationwide Private Client policy doesn’t have a cap, so if building materials spike (like during COVID) you’re not going to be short if you have to rebuild.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Went to the collision center today. Got my spare tire, flashlight, and a couple other items that had been locked in the spare tire compartment. The tire was undamaged so I can use it with my next (presumed) R1T. Unfortunately my traction boards are still trapped in my gear tunnel. The collision center said they can't tear it open until it's officially totaled because they think it'll likely cause damage.

Crapbaskets, I just realized that I shoulda gotten my charger cable too. Not a big deal though.

Rivian/Nationwide insurance didn't report back on whether the truck is officially totaled but I guess that should be expected with a long holiday weekend.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Went to the collision center today. Got my spare tire, flashlight, and a couple other items that had been locked in the spare tire compartment. The tire was undamaged so I can use it with my next (presumed) R1T. Unfortunately my traction boards are still trapped in my gear tunnel. The collision center said they can't tear it open until it's officially totaled because they think it'll likely cause damage.

Crapbaskets, I just realized that I shoulda gotten my charger cable too. Not a big deal though.

Rivian/Nationwide insurance didn't report back on whether the truck is officially totaled but I guess that should be expected with a long holiday weekend.
Don’t forget to tell Nationwide about the gold bars you keep in the gear tunnel that are now irretrievable. 😉

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Got official word back this morning that my truck has been declared a total loss. Next up will be a call from the adjuster to get a replacement vehicle.

One thing that sucks is that I'll lose the power tonneau if I get a new R1T. I really liked that feature. It's one thing that may push me to getting an R1S instead. That said, I do use the gear tunnel all the time. I think I'd miss it.

A few more pics of I took at the collision center on Monday.

Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident IMG_0161.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident IMG_0163.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S We're OK, but our R1T is not..... rear ended accident IMG_0162.JPG

Last edited:

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Got official word back this morning that my truck has been declared a total loss. Next up will be a call from the adjuster to get a replacement vehicle.

One thing that sucks is that I'll lose the power tonneau if I get a new R1T. I really liked that feature. It's one thing that may push me to getting an R1S instead. That said, I do use the gear tunnel all the time. I think I'd miss it.

A few more pics of I took at the collision center on Monday.

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
Man, oh man.

Somebody needs to work a little harder to find you a new R1T SOMEWHERE that meets your criteria. I know Shop Access can be hit or miss, but damn, can someone at Rivian help a brother out?

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Man, oh man.

Somebody needs to work a little harder to find you a new R1T SOMEWHERE that meets your criteria. I know Shop Access can be hit or miss, but damn, can someone at Rivian help a brother out?
I haven't submitted the order yet. I have to get with the insurance adjuster first. Also, this is Rivian/Nationwide insurance. I'm fairly sure they'll get me in an R1T quickly.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
I haven't submitted the order yet. I have to get with the insurance adjuster first. Also, this is Rivian/Nationwide insurance. I'm fairly sure they'll get me in an R1T quickly.
I understand. I'm just hoping they can get you one with a powered tonneau. A currently working one that they have not monkeyed with? In other words, one that is still floating around in Rivian world that has not been claimed, original pricing, and has a functional powered tonneau. Of course, then you must break it, according to forum rules, in order to qualify for the upgrade replacement powered tonneau.

Not trying to be smart azz, just fully understanding how complicated it gets, and if you get what you really want. I am hoping that by now Rivian has this figured out and will make you whole with a R1T with your specs, including a powered tonneau. Color options might be a stretch, but I am still rooting for you to get that right, too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I understand. I'm just hoping they can get you one with a powered tonneau. A currently working one that they have not monkeyed with? In other words, one that is still floating around in Rivian world that has not been claimed, original pricing, and has a functional powered tonneau. Of course, then you must break it, according to forum rules, in order to qualify for the upgrade replacement powered tonneau.

Not trying to be smart azz, just fully understanding how complicated it gets, and if you get what you really want. I am hoping that by now Rivian has this figured out and will make you whole with a R1T with your specs, including a powered tonneau. Color options might be a stretch, but I am still rooting for you to get that right, too.
Ahh, roger that... :)

If I can't get it, I can't get it. It's not the absolutely best situation but it's not going to totally piss me off either. At this point it's just a factor that will make me consider the R1S.

On that, I've been trying to get my Rivian Guide to contact me with R1S availability but I've gotten radio silence. I'm not going to press it until I get a check back from insurance. Then I'll be ready to move at light speed. 😁

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

If I can't get it, I can't get it. It's not the absolutely best situation but it's not going to totally piss me off either. At this point it's just a factor that will make me consider the R1S.

On that, I've been trying to get my Rivian Guide to contact me with R1S availability but I've gotten radio silence. I'm not going to press it until I get a check back from insurance. Then I'll be ready to move at light speed. 😁
First, happy for you that they declared it a total loss. No one wants to be stuck with a severely damaged and repaired car.

Depending on that check amount, you might be able to buy from a private seller and avoid having to get permission from Rivian to switch models.

Just drove my R1S 2k miles and had a lot of conversations with EV and non EV people and 9/10 prefer the R1S. Also interesting to see who is wanting one…you’ve got the 4Runner/Jeep bros looking at it for off-roading and the Lexus/Rover soccer moms looking to get it as a kid hauler. And everyone in between.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager

FYI, I visited Denver many times from 2010 to 2016, so I could only imagine how crazy 1-25 and 1-70 are these days. Even back then It was always white-knuckle driving regardless of the time of day. It was the craziest driving I have ever seen in the USA, and I have traveled a lot.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
@Sgt Beavis at least you can sleep a little better now knowing that you will be getting a brand new Rivian!!

Happy for you... :)

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

First, happy for you that they declared it a total loss. No one wants to be stuck with a severely damaged and repaired car.

Depending on that check amount, you might be able to buy from a private seller and avoid having to get permission from Rivian to switch models.

Just drove my R1S 2k miles and had a lot of conversations with EV and non EV people and 9/10 prefer the R1S. Also interesting to see who is wanting one…you’ve got the 4Runner/Jeep bros looking at it for off-roading and the Lexus/Rover soccer moms looking to get it as a kid hauler. And everyone in between.
I think this lines up with recent statements from Rivian themselves about significantly more demand for the S vs the T - and makes sense in general, SUVs are likely just more practical for more people. but good/interesting to hear it live "from the field" as well
Sponsored