Warranty Support on Used R1T?

Heavysixer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 911, 2028 Q5
With the secondary market softening a bit and me being impatient, a lightly-used R1T holds some appeal for me. But, as a first-gen vehicle from a new manufacturer, having access to the full warranty support is crucial.

So I'm searching for info on how the warranty transfers (including searching these forums), but haven't found anything beyond this slightly cryptic blurb on from Rivian.com:

"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty may be transferred to a new owner. Before selling your vehicle, you or the new owner should contact Customer Service to determine if the existing warranty is transferable."​

So, of course, I will contact customer service when I have an actual R1T in my sights, but before I dig too deep, I was hoping some of the folks here might have experiences or insights to share about warranty transfers, if it's limited or includes the full first-owner experience, etc.

I would likely be purchasing from a used car dealer, which might also affect the transferability of the warranty.

At any rate, any info you have to share is truly appreciated!
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Warranty fully transfers.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

From the warranty guide itself it doesn't add much but just says to contact them to make sure the warranty hasn't been voided. I would interpret that to mean except in exceptional circumstances (totaled R1T, manufacturer buyback, etc) the full warranty will transfer.

Buying on the second hand market seems very smart if you don't have pre-march 1 pricing. If I needed to buy another that is likely what I would do unless I really wanted one of the upcoming release options such as a dual motor or max pack.

pdxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Has anyone here purchased used and had experience with getting service under warranty? Do you think the service experience was as good as if you purchased new? I know the warranty transfers, but I wonder about things like lyft credits or getting a loaner or rental if the truck is at the service center for days or weeks. I'm not sure if those benefits are part of the warranty or if they are customer goodwill services that might be less likely offered to customers who bought used.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Has anyone here purchased used and had experience with getting service under warranty? Do you think the service experience was as good as if you purchased new? I know the warranty transfers, but I wonder about things like lyft credits or getting a loaner or rental if the truck is at the service center for days or weeks. I'm not sure if those benefits are part of the warranty or if they are customer goodwill services that might be less likely offered to customers who bought used.
No one at service who arranges those things is going to know you bought it second hand.

Sponsored

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
The good thing about buying a used one is that you can inspect it and even drive it before you buy. What a novel thought!

ebellinder2

First Name
ED
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
Retired electrician
I purchased a slightly used R1t a few months ago and had the same warranty concerns. Rivian responded they always have the right to refuse warranty coverage if a vehicle is modified or abused. Standard warranty terms. Nothing different whether new or used. I have been to service on two small issues to date with no questions and great service

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Has anyone here purchased used and had experience with getting service under warranty? Do you think the service experience was as good as if you purchased new?
It can’t be worse.

pdxman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
No one at service who arranges those things is going to know you bought it second hand.
The good thing about buying a used one is that you can inspect it and even drive it before you buy. What a novel thought!
I purchased a slightly used R1t a few months ago and had the same warranty concerns. Rivian responded they always have the right to refuse warranty coverage if a vehicle is modified or abused. Standard warranty terms. Nothing different whether new or used. I have been to service on two small issues to date with no questions and great service
It can’t be worse.
Thanks for your responses.
Sponsored