Sponsored

Wall-Mounted Charge Station?

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Leaning pretty heavily toward a Rivian one installed by them depending on price. It seems they would have a good shot at knowing exactly what needs to happen and have a huge incentive to get it right.
They will refer you to an electrician. Probably an over priced one. I got a few estimates. Start now and avoid surprises.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Based on my personal experiences "shopping" for an electrician for this purpose, I will extend AJ's advice further and recommend consulting a qualified electrician...
No doubt about it. "Experienced" is a key word and that's for sure. It took me years to find a good electrician by which I mean one who understood what I was asking him to do and why and was willing to do it. Most, it seems, have, over the years, established a way of doing something and won't deviate from that. Tell them "No, don't do that" and they do it anyway.

Rivian will doubtless have recommendations but it is obvious that it will take a while for them to build a stable and I sense OP wants to get something going well before delivery.

From the installing electrician's perspective an EVSE is an EVSE is an EVSE so that if one has a friend or friends that have BEVs, even Teslas, perhaps they could recommend someone.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I don't think you'll need a lawyer but this does bring to mind another aspect of what "experienced" means in this context and that refers to resonance between the electrician and the local inspectors. I sometimes think you need a law degree to read the applicable parts of the code but a qualified electrician would be one who knows how the local inspector reads it and that is what counts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I don't think you'll need a lawyer but this does bring to mind another aspect of what "experienced" means in this context and that refers to resonance between the electrician and the local inspectors. I sometimes think you need a law degree to read the applicable parts of the code but a qualified electrician would be one who knows how the local inspector reads it and that is what counts.
Nah, you don't need a law degree to read the NEC (National Electrical Code), just a bachelors degree as that is the level it is written at. That's the reason the whole last term of apprenticeship at my local is spent on Code

Yes, I'm an electrician with 30 years of experience. I know the right way to do things, but if the customer wants something unusual, I'm willing to do it as long as it is with what the code allows.

I'm currently looking at EVSE's , specifically the ChargPoint Homeflex. I can get the charger with either the NEMA 6-50 plug or the NEMA 14-50 plug.

What I want to know; is there a compelling reason to install the 14-50 over the 6-50?

I'm strongly leaning toward going the the 6-60 outlet so that it will be compatible with my welder without needing an adaptor.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm currently looking at EVSE's , specifically the ChargPoint Homeflex. I can get the charger with either the NEMA 6-50 plug or the NEMA 14-50 plug.

What I want to know; is there a compelling reason to install the 14-50 over the 6-50?

I'm strongly leaning toward going the the 6-60 outlet so that it will be compatible with my welder without needing an adaptor.
The difference between the two is the presence of a neutral. Only advantage I can think of for the 14-50 unit is the ability to take it on the road and use it at campgrounds, etc (but Rivian will/may/could come with a portable cord that does this already).

I assume the 6-60 reference was a typo?

I ordered the 6-50 becasue I already have one for my Leviton EVSE, but hardwired the ChargePoint to get the full 48A Rivians will accept. The ChargePoint has lever lock connectors for the 14-50/6-50 pigtails (the pigtails have solid lugs) or hardwiring (6ga max - although the install manual says it can be hardwired to a 70 or 80A circuit to provide 50 amps).

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Installing the 14-50 forces you to pull a neutral which may, some day, turn out to be useful. I’d do that and put a 14-50P on the welder cord.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Installing the 14-50 forces you to pull a neutral which may, some day, turn out to be useful. I’d do that and put a 14-50P on the welder cord.
Or you could pull the neutral and not connect it....

Sponsored

My 1st Truck

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80
Occupation
Insurance
Nah, you don't need a law degree to read the NEC (National Electrical Code), just a bachelors degree as that is the level it is written at. That's the reason the whole last term of apprenticeship at my local is spent on Code

Yes, I'm an electrician with 30 years of experience. I know the right way to do things, but if the customer wants something unusual, I'm willing to do it as long as it is with what the code allows.

I bought the Chargepoint Homeflex with 14-50. On Chargepoint's website they have a link which can find you approved electricians in your area for installation.Unit cost $680 with tax, installation is $1300 but I get 30% rebate from tax credit and $230 of installation fee was for county permit. The company also fills out the paperwork for you for the tax credit which was a nice surprise.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Or you could pull the neutral and not connect it....
If I use the #6 tray cable I got, I'll to do that. It has red, black, white and green conductors. The alternative is to run some 3/4" flex, then I could either pull in the neutral now, or do it when the need arrises.
I bought the Chargepoint Homeflex with 14-50. On Chargepoint's website they have a link which can find you approved electricians in your area for installation.Unit cost $680 with tax, installation is $1300 but I get 30% rebate from tax credit and $230 of installation fee was for county permit. The company also fills out the paperwork for you for the tax credit which was a nice surprise.
Fortunately, I'm a Journeyman Electrician, so the price of the outlet is materials only. Right now the ChargePoint Homeflex is $649 on amazon. Free shipping, no sales tax in Oregon.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Right now the ChargePoint Homeflex is $649 on amazon
Why not just plug your car directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlet and save the $650? This is what I did for my Tesla. Just left my cable in the garage plugged into the outlet since I seldom needed the cable.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Why not just plug your car directly into the NEMA 14-50 outlet and save the $650? This is what I did for my Tesla. Just left my cable in the garage plugged into the outlet since I seldom needed the cable.
Tax credits and rebates bring the final price down. The main benefit to me is being able to set the EVSE to charge during off-peak times. Off-peak electric rate for me are 1/3 of the peak rate.

I'll install 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 12-50 receptacle at my son's house and use the cable to charge there when I visit.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The main benefit to me is being able to set the EVSE to charge during off-peak times. Off-peak electric rate for me are 1/3 of the peak rate.
This functionality will certainly be built directly into the vehicle, just as it is with Tesla’s and other EVs. No reason to spend $650 just for time-restricted charging.
Sponsored

Last edited: