Vehicle (Tag) still not registered

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
What I have noticed is many DMVs are suffering from staff shortages so cases get pile up...
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Which one do you go to? The one in Port Orchard across from Fred Meyer is 👌. Might be bc it smells dank AF. First time I went, I walked into the cannabis shop next door (likely literally the doors are next to each other) and was thoroughly confused.
I just got a new paper temporary from a local DOL enabled shop (they also do Fedex, UPS, etc.) rather than going to an actual DOL. Free, good through Aug. The Illinois paper expires this week. Those of us in WA can expect long delays on actual plates...not Rivian's fault, all plates are delayed.

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Can anyone confirm what paperwork is needed to self-register with DOL? My guide is willing to look into it but needs to know what I need. I'm in WA if it matters.
You would need the “certificate of origin”, which is like a title from the manufacture. Pretty hard to get ahold of most of the time. Good luck.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Any particular reason?
A DOL person told me that they have some broken machines and that parts are hard to come by...I'm thinking probably really old needing unavailable parts, but that's just a guess. Their web site just has this:
<< COVID-19 closures are affecting the production of our license plates, tabs, and decals. This is causing significant delays in our ability to issue them to you.>>

I am better than 13 weeks out from delivery and had to go get a paper permit for the back window to replace the Illinois paper that is just about out of date. When I got the permit, good through August, I was told to just come back when I need a new one. That does not sound promising...

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I just got a new paper temporary from a local DOL enabled shop (they also do Fedex, UPS, etc.) rather than going to an actual DOL. Free, good through Aug. The Illinois paper expires this week. Those of us in WA can expect long delays on actual plates...not Rivian's fault, all plates are delayed.
It has been over month and Rivian (RegUSA) has not even sent paperwork to the state. That has nothing to do with plates.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
You would need the “certificate of origin”, which is like a title from the manufacture. Pretty hard to get ahold of most of the time. Good luck.
Except Tesla gives this to owners this for every car sold in Texas.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Good thing I'm getting a Florida plate
Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle (Tag) still not registered IMG_20220629_061339

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Minimum 8 years and 3 duty stations before I need to start worrying about that!
IMG_20220629_064055.gif
That's what I thought when I went to register the Camaro in WY (my home of record at the time) back in 2010... Needless to say, she had WA plates on her...

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

That's what I thought when I went to register the Camaro in WY (my home of record at the time) back in 2010... Needless to say, she had WA plates on her...
That might've been a WY thing:
https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/military-inwa.html

https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=308-96A-050

WAC 308-96A-050
Nonresident members of the armed forces—Plates displayed.
(1) What license plates must be displayed on a vehicle registered to a nonresident military person assigned to duty in Washington? Nonresident military personnel assigned to duty in Washington may display on their vehicle either:
(a) License plates issued from their official home of record (state of bona fide residence); or
(b) License plates issued from a foreign jurisdiction other than their official home of record until such time as that license registration is expired; or
(c) Washington license plates.
After expiration of registration from a jurisdiction other than Washington you may maintain your registration in your home of record or obtain a Washington registration.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That might've been a WY thing:
https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/military-inwa.html

https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=308-96A-050

WAC 308-96A-050
Nonresident members of the armed forces—Plates displayed.
(1) What license plates must be displayed on a vehicle registered to a nonresident military person assigned to duty in Washington? Nonresident military personnel assigned to duty in Washington may display on their vehicle either:
(a) License plates issued from their official home of record (state of bona fide residence); or
(b) License plates issued from a foreign jurisdiction other than their official home of record until such time as that license registration is expired; or
(c) Washington license plates.
After expiration of registration from a jurisdiction other than Washington you may maintain your registration in your home of record or obtain a Washington registration.
That's definitely (relatively) new to WA, but a welcomed change!

Too bad they still get your tax dollars, though:

Buying a vehicle while stationed in Washington
Sales and use tax
  • If you'll be in Washington for more than 90 days, you must pay Washington state sales or use tax, even if you register the vehicle in your home state. You won't need to pay taxes in your home state unless their tax rate is higher than Washington's.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

That's definitely (relatively) new to WA, but a welcomed change!

Too bad they still get your tax dollars, though:

Buying a vehicle while stationed in Washington
Sales and use tax
  • If you'll be in Washington for more than 90 days, you must pay Washington state sales or use tax, even if you register the vehicle in your home state. You won't need to pay taxes in your home state unless their tax rate is higher than Washington's.
No sir! Rivian can't sell trucks here, I bought my truck in Illinois 😎

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles