Sponsored

Vehicle (Tag) still not registered

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Is it typical for people to not do their own registration in the US?

here with a brand new car all you do is present NVIS/MSO and bill of sale, pay sales tax if the seller didn’t collect it, pay registration, pick out your plate and you’re on your way.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Is it typical for people to not do their own registration in the US?
For a new car the dealer handles all that. You take it from the dealership with a paper temporary plate and within a few days your permanent plate, registration and title arrive in the mail or the dealer calls you and tells you to come in and they install the permanent plate and give you the documents.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade & Audi Q7
Occupation
IT
Sorry so many of you early adopters are having trouble with what should be a simple process.

curious if any of you have tried to email the CEO office about these challenges.

And a speculative side comment….I suspect the RegUSA is trying to hold onto the sales tax money as long as possible and that is the real issue here. Which is disgusting, but that’s how you pad your profits when you are a paperwork shuffler.

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How you rate those rights and wrongs could “sour” you. If you get motion sickness don’t get a ticket.
It's not my first rodeo with a new company and I wasn't surprised or soured when I encountered numerous issues with my A/C, blue fluid leaking from my vehicle, paint issues, etc., and had to have my vehicle towed to a service center.

I'm sure that submitting paperwork to the various state departments is complicated, but the dishonesty, dismissal, and apparent lack of transparency are disheartening in my opinion. Part of this is on me because I accepted the many "the check is in the mail" responses I received and never pressed for details. Hopefully, they will part ways with RegUSA and clean all of this up.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My local DMV is awesome. I wish Rivian had an option to just click a button that you want to do it yourself and they send you the paperwork. Would be so much easier for me. Not to mention that UT has 3 standard plate styles and Rivian told me there was no way for me to specify which one I wanted. 😡

Careychastain

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MBZ GLE450
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

My local DMV is awesome. I wish Rivian had an option to just click a button that you want to do it yourself and they send you the paperwork. Would be so much easier for me. Not to mention that UT has 3 standard plate styles and Rivian told me there was no way for me to specify which one I wanted. 😡
In CA…we are able to get this sorted out at AAA (if your a member?).

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The DOL visits (thankfully haven't done one in years) is right up there with dentist visits.
Which one do you go to? The one in Port Orchard across from Fred Meyer is 👌. Might be bc it smells dank AF. First time I went, I walked into the cannabis shop next door (likely literally the doors are next to each other) and was thoroughly confused.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My guide called yesterday at about 5 PM, said the car was ready and when should they bring it by. I said, in jest, right now is OK and much to my surprise he said he'd see if they could do that. Even though they have made me wait 4 years I wouldn't willingly put anyone through I270 at 5 PM and so it's coming today but that's now what I am posting about. I asked about the plates thing and he said he really couldn't deny that it is bad but they are working on it. He told me that I should be OK because they anticipate a fix before my 90 day Illinois temporary plate expires. I believe Virginia is not a state which allows direct sales (exception for Tesla) and so I am buying the truck in Illinois and registering it here which doubtless complicates the process. Perhaps things go more smoothly in states that allow direct sales?

Sponsored

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
Coming up on 8 weeks for me and no plate or title. They blame the MN DMV, But the thing is I recently purchased a new Jeep from a local dealer in the meantime and got the plates and title within a week.

As my kids say…Sus….

I’m not sure if they are incompetent in this area or if they are sitting on titles to avoid re-sales. Either way it doesn't seem legal.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Mine expired yesterday. I have contacted them several times in the past few weeks. I got the truck in March. They have offered a rental even though one person "confirmed" they could overnight a new temp plate. They really need to do a better job here.

Last edited:

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Mine expired yesterday. I have contacted them several times in the past few weeks. I got the truck in Mach. They have offered a rental even though one person "confirmed" they could overnight a new temp plate. They really need to do a better job here.
I would prefer they not even try to do the registrations. If I simply had the normal new car paperwork I could have handled this within 24 hours of delivery.

Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, R1T
I'm in New Jersey.

This is happening with ICE cars too. A friend bought a Cadillac and didn't get his tags for another 3 months after the temporary ones expired..

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
Can anyone confirm what paperwork is needed to self-register with DOL? My guide is willing to look into it but needs to know what I need. I'm in WA if it matters.
Sponsored