Sponsored

Vehicle fridge temperature impact in frunk

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

There had been some discussion about concern of heat issues running a powered cooler in the frunk and possible mitigation strategies. I wanted empirical data before considering drilling holes and such in the frunk tub for venting so I tracked frunk temperature during my recent trip over the weekend with an Alpicool C20 powered cooler in it throughout the trip. I'll do more testing when we get some warmer weather and will include temps inside the cooler to see how it performs in warmer conditions.

Weather-wise, the temperatures ranged from mid 30's to low 70's with mostly clear skies (lots of direct sun on the vehicle).

This graph shows when I initially filled the cooler with room temperature items and turned it on. The frunk temperature increased by 2.1 degrees over about 1.5 hours and then dropped.

Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle fridge temperature impact in frunk Image20220425210127

This shows the frunk temperature throughout the weekend:
Rivian R1T R1S Vehicle fridge temperature impact in frunk Image20220425210051
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
There had been some discussion about concern of heat issues running a powered cooler in the frunk and possible mitigation strategies. I wanted empirical data before considering drilling holes and such in the frunk tub for venting so I tracked frunk temperature during my recent trip over the weekend with an Alpicool C20 powered cooler in it throughout the trip. I'll do more testing when we get some warmer weather and will include temps inside the cooler to see how it performs in warmer conditions.

Weather-wise, the temperatures ranged from mid 30's to low 70's with mostly clear skies (lots of direct sun on the vehicle).

This graph shows when I initially filled the cooler with room temperature items and turned it on. The frunk temperature increased by 2.1 degrees over about 1.5 hours and then dropped.

Image20220425210127.jpg

This shows the frunk temperature throughout the weekend:
Image20220425210051.jpg
just put a bag of ice in there to keep the frunk cool

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

What temps were you running the fridge at and how do you like the app?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure you just showed us the outdoor temps for your trip.

This is good news, right? It seems exterior temps affect it more than the compressor?

Now you just need a friend with an R1T to join you and track temps without a cooler in it 👍

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, that's a great baseline data set. Hopefully we can get similar data on 100 - 110 F ambient temperature day at some point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bowhunter

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

I'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure you just showed us the outdoor temps for your trip.

This is good news, right? It seems exterior temps affect it more than the compressor?

Now you just need a friend with an R1T to join you and track temps without a cooler in it 👍
Haha, not exactly. Though the plastic tub doesn't offer much insulation aside from suppressing airflow it was always warmer than outdoor temps. I'm sure being in the vicinity of warm components will keep it a little above outdoor temps regardless of the fridge. One thing to note is that unsurprisingly, the cab got a fair amount warmer in direct sunlight than the frunk.

You are correct though that the early conclusion is that the heat produced by the fridge in the frunk is negligible, but will be interesting at higher temps.

I am currently tracking temps in the frunk without the fridge. It is an imperfect control due to different weather conditions, but something to compare against nonetheless.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
You are correct though that the early conclusion is that the heat produced by the fridge in the frunk is negligible, but will be interesting at higher temps.
You already have most of what you need to know i.e. the rise above ambient with the fridge in place and running. As the ambient rises the temperature in the frunk will stay above it by the same amount. What gives the lie to that statement is that as the frunk temperature rises with the ambient the fridge has to work harder and so the rise does increase. But to first order you have your answer.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I am currently tracking temps in the frunk without the fridge. It is an imperfect control due to different weather conditions, but something to compare against nonetheless.
fwiw, I've done this test with an ICECO 40 in the bed of an F-150 (metal tonneau like the R1T) and it heats up the bed … the fridge just keeps going no matter the ambient. I think the confined, enclosed space of the frunk will need ventilation (preferably a duct positioning opposite the exhaust of the fridge.) You'd want multiple sensors:
1) amp draw by the fridge
2) frunk temp
3) ambient temp (as a reference)
And maybe internal temps of the two compartments of the fridge just for curiosity to see if the fridge is holding temps or cycling between highs and lows (if the fridge spends time letting food reach 40 degrees, it's not a fridge anymore.)

What we need is to be able to order parts. I'm afraid Rivian is probably just not interested in selling parts till they're through their supply side snafu. (which also raises questions about collision repair, but hopefully they treat that as something more compelling than "DIYer wants to cut a hole in the frunk." : )

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Sponsored

ResidualReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Limited
Occupation
CTO
I just ordered this one. It's the largest one yet I've seen that will fit in the frunk (37l). On sale for under $300.
Posted about it here:... https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...arrived-iceco-go20-dual-zone.4878/post-159331

Not sure of this brand but cheap is nough to test out before my R1S arrives (I have a year at least)...
The ICECO and Dometic use a SECOP compressor with a 5 year warranty, and that's the most critical component. That's what makes them both better IMO, and worth the price difference.

Amazon.com: ICECO GO20 Dual Zone Portable Refrigerator with Danfoss Compressor, 20 Liter/21 Quart, DC 12/24V, AC 100-240V, 0℉ to 50℉, Mini Fridge Cooler Refrigerator for Outdoor, Home Use, Driving, Gray : Automotive

This one should fit by my measurements, and it can be purchased with an insulating cover, which would reduce the need for the compressor to run and the heat produced. This should allow for more heat to dissipate between compressor runs. Maybe?

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Yep. I have an ICECO VL45 in my 4Runner (hardwired). It has a cover and works like a champ, even in Sacramento's 100+ temps. Never faltered and had it for 5 years or so. Not as sure as the cheap ones, but 45 is a good size. 20 seems tiny. I ordered the Bodega 36L one and plan to test it compared to the ICECO. Ill post back in a few days my thoughts.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Yep. I have an ICECO VL45 in my 4Runner (hardwired). It has a cover and works like a champ, even in Sacramento's 100+ temps. Never faltered and had it for 5 years or so. Not as sure as the cheap ones, but 45 is a good size. 20 seems tiny. I ordered the Bodega 36L one and plan to test it compared to the ICECO. Ill post back in a few days my thoughts.
I just got the Bodega delivered today and will try it out soon. Have you had a chance to mess around with it yet?

I’ve never had one of these coolers before, so trying to figure out the best way to utilize it. Is it bad to leave it plugged in while away from the car for a few hours?

Where are you going to plug it in in the R1T? One thought I had is to leave it plugged into the 110 outlet in the gear tunnel (since that seems to be the most insulated spot), and then open the pass through into the backseat to give ambient heat a place to go. Leaving it in the bed feels like it would just cook under the tonneau in the summer (maybe it’s fine in other times).

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, today I did a test comparing my ICECO VL45 fridge (wearing its cover--forgot to take that off), and the Bodega 36L fridge. I started at 12pm and put 6 room temperature waterbottles in both coolers. Turned both on and set to minimum setting (VL45 is 0, Bodega is -1). In the Bodega there is a divider that can be removed to make it a single zone, so I did the single zone setup to make is more comparable to the ICECO. The car was parked in a parking lot from 12-5 and the temp was 79. Checked at 5pm to compre.
The ICECO was at 18 degrees.
The Bodega was at 26.
The Bodgea is louder, but not unbearably so. Also, it makes gurgling sounds, again not unbearable, but does not sound as quiet and I suspect the compressor quality is much lower than the ICECO, but it is also 1/2 the price. With that said, it does seem to work fine. Not overly hot, and for the price ($287 at amazon) for a plug in that can fit either in frunk or under toneau cover, I will keep it. I still dont have a Rivian (just switched from R1S to R1T hoping to speed that up), but I really like having a fridge in the car now and want to have that option. Being able to throw leftovers in whe we go out to eat, then just walk around, or do erands after grocery shopping is very convenient.
With my VL, I can turn it on when i load it and it cools very quickly. I think the Bodgea will require a bit more planning (i.e., when you go to a store, turn it on when you go in v. when you get back to the car).
With that said, when I get my Rivian and go camping, I will probably use the VL45 as it is bigger. A few pics attached.

One question I have on fridges that I am unsure of with Rivians: In my 4Runner my VL45 is hardwired to an Odyssey battery (combo starter and deep cycle). I can run the fridge for several days without jeapordizing the starting ability.

The Rivian has 2 small motorcycle batteries, so the 12 v system is pretty weak. I assume the Rivian wakes up, checks the charge, and charges the little batteries every so often. This seems like a taxing situation on two small starter batteries (which are not designed for deep discharge). I think people running a cooler should hook up a power bank between the Rivian and cooler so when not running it is drawing power from the bank and not affecting your batteries; when "on" it is charging the bank. FYI my bank has 622wh and used about 50% today hooked up to the Bodega (probably twice what my VL45 seems to use). Ill try to do that test in the future to get an idea of power consumption between the two...
here is the power station that I have

btw...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YRFLSR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bodega fridge link:
iceco vl45 link:

Attachments

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

Does anyone know if the 110 drains from the main battery? if so, that is the way to plug it in if you dont want to get a power station. I think the only option in the frunk is the 12v, so consider the power station as Im not sure how long those two batteries will last. Although, I just realized they may be deep cycle as there is no need for them to be starter batteries now that I think of it....no engine to start and all...
Sponsored