Sponsored

Underbody rust - should I be worried?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I was underneath my vehicle checking in something and noticed I have 4 bolts missing. I know the last time I checked I had no missing bolts. Anyways, in two of the workpieces where the bolt goes I see what looks like rust. I have the RUS but this is on the area underneath the front of the vehicle, where the composite cover is, passenger side.
Should I be worried and open a service ticket?

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody rust - should I be worried? IMG_6634

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody rust - should I be worried? IMG_6632
Sponsored

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I’d worry about the missing bolts, but not about those rusty nut clip things.
interesting. i thought the opposite.

the bolts are easy to replace but the rust could be more pervasive underneath the composite cover. if you look at the first pic, its not the nut clip thats rusty but the workpiece where you screw the nut into that has visible rust.

Carscott

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda odyssey toyota Prius v
Please ask rivian if Krown rust proofing can be completed without affecting warranty?

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
That rust is forming on bare metal that is a byproduct of the bolt being threaded into the hole. Once the bolt fell out, that bare metal surface was exposed and surface rust formed. About the same amount of rust that you would see if left a brand new set of pliers out in the rain over night. I personally wouldn't throw out the pliers or worry about that surface rust.

I would take a wide shot that you can draw some arrows on so you can upload for a service appointment. Hopefully they will send out mobile service and get them replaced sooner than later.
Sponsored