Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Came across this just a bit ago and the owner goes into some of the Rivian's off-road suspension setting quirks as well as both room for improvement on underbody protection and cautionary advice for anyone considering the dark rims for use on trails.

Credit where credit's due, check out the video and thanks to the Rivian owner for sharing his experience

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Credit where credit's due, check out the video and thanks to the Rivian owner for sharing his experience
Second the motion- Thanks for sharing the adventure! Fun to see one earning some trail badges. A nice contrast to the garage queen protection posts, NTTAWTT…

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
His assessment of the 20" wheels makes sense, however the brake caliper clearance is a limiting factor with the offset. Only other option is to go outside of the fender well, which is a horrible look without flares, and the combination of the two would likely affect efficiency.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Rivian needs to add some significant form of feedback for ride height changes
From the video it sounds like a software update would help. A good thing, no?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
It's disappointing that he added underbody protection but still had those plastic pieces where rock sliders would go
TBF my Defender is pretty much paper plenum in that location…

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Good write up - thanks for that. One additional point in line with your point about the rims: Go look closely at the video of the "Sand Mode" tweet in slow motion. You will see that the rims are actually throwing up a bunch of the sand...a direct result of the shape of the wheel and how the tire sits in them as you found out. Doing beach driving as I plan to do, will cause the same issue you encountered - beat up $3500 rims. Not for me.
Dirty_B

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I really hope those panels don’t really need to be removed to gone on a lift. The guys at [insert tire place] are going to be thrown off by that.

Great to see that there are suitable factory mounting points for running boards or rock sliders —thus has been an open question for me for a while. After finally getting into an R1T last week, I know running boards will be in my future.

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I really hope those panels don’t really need to be removed to gone on a lift. The guys at [insert tire place] are going to be thrown off by that.

Great to see that there are suitable factory mounting points for running boards or rock sliders —thus has been an open question for me for a while. After finally getting into an R1T last week, I know running boards will be in my future.
It's a bit odd you can't just pop out the round insert as though you were just jacking a corner of the vehicle and that be enough. Guess the diameter of the open port isn't large enough for third party jacking equipment?

Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

From the video it sounds like a software update would help. A good thing, no?
100% I think it's just been overlooked as it defaults to a standard mode upon exit and re-entry. Which makes sense day to day, but in an off road situation it can funk you up.

Slightly tricky to make work correctly unless in those specific off road modes, maybe once placed in them it stays in them until told otherwise? Possibly just an on screen reminder when you get back in after a celebratory brew for conquering an obstacle, it defaults to the drive mode screen to remind you the mode you're in, without asking you if you want to stay in it constantly. That would get annoying otherwise.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
100% I think it's just been overlooked as it defaults to a standard mode upon exit and re-entry. Which makes sense day to day, but in an off road situation it can funk you up.

Slightly tricky to make work correctly unless in those specific off road modes, maybe once placed in them it stays in them until told otherwise? Possibly just an on screen reminder when you get back in after a celebratory brew for conquering an obstacle, it defaults to the drive mode screen to remind you the mode you're in, without asking you if you want to stay in it constantly. That would get annoying otherwise.
My old Porsche once dropped it’s front end on top of a parking curb. The only immediate option I had was to scrape it off and be on my way…

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

That was an excellent video. Big props to the R1T owner.

There definitely needs to be a software update. If you put the suspension in its highest position, it should only lower automatically when you exceed a certain speed. I know that RAM's air suspension lowers at about 30mph or so. It should also never lower when you're off camber IMO. Easy software fix so no worries there.

IF I ever get my R1T, I think I'll get my brother to make me some sliders. Or perhaps go to one of the custom fabrication shops in Denver to have some built. It's nice to see that the rest of the skid plates are up to the task.

As for the wheels, that's going to happen on anything you regularly off road. It would be much easier to deal with if the R1T had 17s or 18s but we'll just have to live with it. I'm planning to use my Jeep for the hard core offroading so I don't think I'll be too worried. But I sure as heck have zero interest in those upgraded wheels.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
, maybe once placed in them it stays in them until told otherwise?
I think a default to off-road but a ‘would you like to stay in off-road?’ confirm would not be too invasive for most of us…
Sponsored