Sponsored

Turning off R1T charging status lights ?

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Does anyone know if the charging lights on the R1T can be turned off?
They are not very appealing if plugged in at a campground or other place that people would want to be in a dark place.
My personal preference for a campground is the darker the better and those flashing lights would suck.
They should put a function to be able to turn those lights off.
Sponsored

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I believe they turn off once you lock the vehicle.
Not exactly. The charging light bar on the front and rear turn off when vehicle is locked. But the charge port has a light on it as well when charging and that slowly pulses green and will continue to stay on while locked and charging. After charging is complete the green just stays lit. At night it is super bright and a beacon that says "hey look at me" to anyone nearby. My next door neighbor had to put up a window curtain at his house to block the light from the charge port at night. I already sent a note to my guide that we need better ability to control that. Would be good if others recommended it as well.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Am I mistaken that Kyle from Out of Spec or maybe someone else showed that this is controllable in settings?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Not exactly. The charging light bar on the front and rear turn off when vehicle is locked. But the charge port has a light on it as well when charging and that slowly pulses green and will continue to stay on while locked and charging. After charging is complete the green just stays lit. At night it is super bright and a beacon that says "hey look at me" to anyone nearby. My next door neighbor had to put up a window curtain at his house to block the light from the charge port at night. I already sent a note to my guide that we need better ability to control that. Would be good if others recommended it as well.
Chuck a towel or something over it. I do agree though, it would be nice to turn off completely somehow. Maybe a future camp mode disables it

Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Chuck a towel or something over it. I do agree though, it would be nice to turn off completely somehow. Maybe a future camp mode disables it
Gaffer tape fixes everything from stage to studio to covering up LED lights.

OP
OP

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
enjoying life
I also sent a note to Rivian about that it should be able to be turned off because of how much of a nuisance it would be at night if it were plugged in at a campground. It really does scream look at me. I'd rather be in stealth mode.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Don't know personally, but for anyone curious this is a good example in the wild of how it could be a bit too much:

Jehu's Rivian

OP
OP

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
enjoying life
I can't believe for a company pushing their vehicle as a get out in nature vehicle that they would not come up with a charging system that would use the least amount of energy possible and maybe try to fit into the surroundings. I love the truck but those lights on at charging just suck. They will be a good reason to possibly get some vehicle damage from pissed off people. Why spend all that money to put those lights in when something more subdued would be cheaper and fit in to the surroundings.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I can't believe for a company pushing their vehicle as a get out in nature vehicle that they would not come up with a charging system that would use the least amount of energy possible and maybe try to fit into the surroundings. I love the truck but those lights on at charging just suck. They will be a good reason to possibly get some vehicle damage from pissed off people. Why spend all that money to put those lights in when something more subdued would be cheaper and fit in to the surroundings.
Lock it. They turn off.

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
This thread didn't disappoint, came here for this camping concern.
Anyone get luck on a stealth mode yet?
(Referring to the glow coming from the port area itself)

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This thread didn't disappoint, came here for this camping concern.
Anyone get luck on a stealth mode yet?
(Referring to the glow coming from the port area itself)
Version 2022.15.0 you can disable ALL CHARGING LIGHTS.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They do listen. Man that is great news.
In my experience, it’s not totally fixed. The on-board charge port light still glows green once charging is complete, even when locked. I hope they fix this.
Sponsored