Sponsored

Transport Canada Application to be Submitted by September 2022

wristybusiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model X
The recent SEC filing indicates that Rivian is planning on obtaining Transport Canada Approval for September 2022.

“We expect to complete all CMVSS confirmatory testing and provide an application for certification to Transport Canada by September 2022.”

What implications does this have for those of us with a July-September window? Will they be building these Canadian spec vehicles, and deliver them upon regulatory approval? If so, there is a chance for September delivery depending on how long the process takes.

If not, then we will be looking at a delay for Canadian customers.

Source:https://sec.report/Document/0001874178-22-000008/
Sponsored

dc2r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Acura MDX
Occupation
Facilities Technician
How is it the R1S that is seen regularly in Vancouver able to get Canadian registration?

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Ugh. This is a delay from their IPO filing when they said they were going to get approval by February 2022.

My delivery window is July-Sept for my LE. I suppose they could get approval earlier. But since they already missed their first stated date for this from their IPO filing (and...you know...all their other dates) I don't have a lot of faith in them getting them to us in Canada when they promised.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
CMVSS compliance is a self reporting process. You basically tell TC that you’re building vehicles that conform, and they rubber stamp your application.

in my experience it takes a month, but that’s 10+ years ago.

Can’t see them having to make any physical changes to the vehicles aside from bilingual labelling as needed, and the CMVSS compliance label with the national safety mark. CMVSS and FMVSS are pretty much harmonized now.

Wonder what the hold up is here.…

technically they can run Pretty much anything on a dealer/demo or manufacturers plate, and R1T/R1S are already listed in the databases used by the various provincial licensing agencies.

It is also perfectly legal to import a US market vehicle and get it registered as long as it meets provincial standards

Last edited:

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Ugh. This is a delay from their IPO filing when they said they were going to get approval by February 2022.

My delivery window is July-Sept for my LE. I suppose they could get approval earlier. But since they already missed their first stated date for this from their IPO filing (and...you know...all their other dates) I don't have a lot of faith in them getting them to us in Canada when they promised.
I feel your pain man. I have received nothing but a 2022 delivery time frame. The liberals are pushing EV adoption but not addressing the infrastructure and the incentives.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel your pain man. I have received nothing but a 2022 delivery time frame. The liberals are pushing EV adoption but not addressing the infrastructure and the incentives.
Provincial governments also a problem. Here in Manitoba the provincial govt removed all incentives relating to EV purchases. The only information they have on EVs is from 2016, and touts all the block heater outlets in parking lots as “over $2bn of installed EV charging infrastructure“(really!).

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Provincial governments also a problem. Here in Manitoba the provincial govt removed all incentives relating to EV purchases. The only information they have on EVs is from 2016, and touts all the block heater outlets in parking lots as “over $2bn of installed EV charging infrastructure“(really!).
BC has rebates - but they won't include the Rivian as there is a MSRP threshold ($55k, so none of the Tesla's qualify for it either). Hopefully the new federal budget raises the threshold so it will include the upcoming BEV trucks.

BC also has a rebate for EV Charger installation. So far Rivian's is not listed (https://electricvehicles.bchydro.com/incentives/ev-chargers-eligible-for-rebates#single-family-homes). I had asked CS awhile back if they could submit an application when the time came. Would be great if their charger get's added so we can take advantage of that for their wall charger.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Seriously. Such BS. Ford government did the same thing in Ontario. The other challenge is that the R1T won't even qualify given the cost of the vehicle.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seriously. Such BS. Ford government did the same thing in Ontario. The other challenge is that the R1T won't even qualify given the cost of the vehicle.
it‘s absolute nonsense. MB Hydro is at least still a crown corp with low rates and good service, but won’t be for long. It’ll be just like hydro one soon enough….
I don’t mind my $130k luxury truck not qualifying, I get that. But to have no economic incentive watsoever to offset the unavoidably higher cost of an EV and get more ICE cars off the road is so shortsighted.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Watch this. Funny that the guy responsible doesn’t own a vehicle.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Watch this. Funny that the guy responsible doesn’t own a vehicle.

I stopped when I saw Dan Mazier, who is my sister's useless MP.

The reform party 2.0 is bad news.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Again, such bad comms. Rivian should know canadian customers will see this filing and question the timeframes they gave us. Would it be so hard to send an e-mail to all of us?

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Again, such bad comms. Rivian should know canadian customers will see this filing and question the timeframes they gave us. Would it be so hard to send an e-mail to all of us?
I asked CS specifically about this before IPO. The SEC filling said they'd get the certification by February 2022 (which obviously they didn't do anyway). But they were still saying Canadian deliveries were starting Nov 2021. Right up until they weren't for anyone but employees.

So I doubt I'll see it in July or August sadly...

OP
OP

wristybusiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model X
My concern is that Canadian deliveries get pushed more than a few months - I am thinking next year, since the time frames we received were decided upon before their first year of production numbers were cut in half.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I agree, I have been saying it for months, I dont expect my LE R1S in 2022.
Sponsored