Sponsored

Trading 2023 R1S in for a 2024 R1S

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

The voucher seems to apply to *any* shop vehicle between now and September 30th. And even if there was a question, seems silly to get a pre-shutdown S when you could just let the dust settle. You can always get a pre-shutdown S after the refreshes start coming out.
Sponsored

OP
OP

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
The voucher seems to apply to *any* shop vehicle between now and September 30th. And even if there was a question, seems silly to get a pre-shutdown S when you could just let the dust settle. You can always get a pre-shutdown S after the refreshes start coming out.
You could be right! My logic is that refresh vehicles will not go to the shop, and that configs would thin out and I wanted a particular config, so I moved fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
I closed the deal this morning and swapped the 2023 R1S Quad for a 2024 R1S Quad. The cars have identical configs. My total out of pocket was $4,590, including the $1,000 deposit I paid years ago. Rivian paid $71,835 for the 2023 R1S with 4,000 miles (this was higher than Carvana, Carmax, and a few other instant buy sites offered). The price of the 2024 was $73,600 (including pre-price-hike voucher), $75,747 including destination and doc fees. The balance was registration and taxes. In Florida, sales tax is only paid for the difference between the trade and new car price. Total purchase price $76,426 (all in cost) - $71,836 (trade in) = $4,590.

I had the 2023 for just over 5 months before trade in. So I paid $4,590/5, or $918 a month for my Rivian experience so far...

My old Rivian Monroney sticker said MSRP of $7X,XXX. The new 2024 Monroney sticker says MSRP $9X,XXX. Big win there! LOL.

This was a marginal deal at best. I maybe picked up a few hundred dollars on tire wear (the 21s!, yes I got the 21s again), and maybe $1,000~ down the road on the model year difference.

Yes, I missed the free $5,000 PPF!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I closed the deal this morning and swapped the 2023 R1S Quad for a 2024 R1S Quad. The cars have identical configs. My total out of pocket was $4,590, including the $1,000 deposit I paid years ago. Rivian paid $71,835 for the 2023 R1S with 4,000 miles (this was higher than Carvana, Carmax, and a few other instant buy sites offered). The price of the 2024 was $73,600 (including pre-price-hike voucher), $75,747 including destination and doc fees. The balance was registration and taxes. In Florida, sales tax is only paid for the difference between the trade and new car price. Total purchase price $76,426 (all in cost) - $71,836 (trade in) = $4,590.

I had the 2023 for just over 5 months before trade in. So I paid $4,590/5, or $918 a month for my Rivian experience so far...

My old Rivian Monroney sticker said MSRP of $7X,XXX. The new 2024 Monroney sticker says MSRP $9X,XXX. Big win there! LOL.

This was a marginal deal at best. I maybe picked up a few hundred dollars on tire wear (the 21s!, yes I got the 21s again), and maybe $1,000~ down the road on the model year difference.

How many miles did it have? I'm awful curious if your $/mile Rivian adventure cost...

OP
OP

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
How many miles did it have? I'm awful curious if your $/mile Rivian adventure cost...
In the quote you quoted above, 4,000 miles at trade in. Adventure has been $1.15 per mile (so far, rolled forward to the next R1S). This does not include the opportunity cost of the capital locked up in the adventure.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

In the quote you quoted above, 4,000 miles at trade in. Adventure has been $1.15 per mile (so far, rolled forward to the next R1S). This does not include the opportunity cost of the capital locked up in the adventure.
Thanks! I was skimming the whole thread and that last one has a ton of numbers. That's why I don't do budgets before morning coffee 🤓🫱🏼☕

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Very curious why some think the refresh will be better, or have more features, when the purpose is to make them cheaper and hopefully profitable. I think for the next few years the earlier builds may be the best builds until they do a redesign.
I honestly have no idea what the refresh will bring, but it would be cool if they added a NACS port (I'd love to see the existing port stay as is and add a second NACS port to the opposite side of the R1 vehicles), the R2 steering wheel scroll wheels, and a heat pump. Just those 3 additions alone would make it a much better vehicle. It would also be cool if they replaced the Bosch motors with Enduro motors on the quad. Or maybe came out with a tri-motor w/locking differential instead.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
The only thing I would change about my 2023 R1S is that I would trade power for range. The amount of power this truck has is ludicrous. I love it but it’s way more than I need. I would gladly swap 250 extra hp for a dual motor with Max Pack so that I could more confidently make it up to my mountain getaway spot on a single charge. But not interested in a big cash outlay to accomplish this.
Exactly. I said that several times before, but lots of people jumped on me like I was saying something outrageous. Take 250 HP and give 100 "extra" miles of range all day every day. I know it doesnt work quite like that, but I'd still rather have less power in exchange for more range.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Last week we traded our 2023 Quad R1S for a 2024 Quad R1S. Long story on the reason for the trade…. let’s just say the 2023 was problematic. The 2024 we purchased is the car we dreamed about owning 3 years ago when we put our money down on a preorder. Build quality is superb and it rides beautifully. we know of 2 changes in the 2024. The Meridian audio has been swapped out for a Rivian branded system. I think it sounds better. The architecture on the 12v battery has been simplified by replacing the previous 2 control module system with 1. Rivian claims it should be more reliable.
Mind sharing what you got for trade?

OP
OP

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
Mind sharing what you got for trade?
It's in the thread above.

Rivian paid $71,835 for the pristine 2023 R1S with 4,000 miles (this was higher than Carvana, Carmax, and a few other instant buy sites offered).

Sponsored

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just received my 2024 R1S quad. I came from a 2023 R1S quad. Personally, I don’t notice anything majorly different other than the key fob being colored. The wind noise is still prevalent with all the windows up. Drive feels the same. Doors are heavier.

ccharie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RS1; Mercedes EQE
Occupation
Lawyer
It's a few issues. First, it is likely the refresh will have an updated MCU/CPU/GPU, and pre-refresh will become orphans for software udpates sooner than later. Second, Quad Bosch will be discontinued, so those will be orphans for service and parts in the future as Rivian moves on to the new in house architecture. Third, the R1S will likely be tiered as base, mid, and luxury. The resale value of the current Adventure will probably be hit as buyers move up to the new luxury tier, which will probably include a larger Max Pack and an actual luxury interior. Fourth, the refresh might include the new steering wheel and stalk layout of the R2/R3, which further orphans legacy pre-refresh R1Xs.
These sounds like perfectly valid reasons to lease at those favorable rates. I think the residuals on the leases is high-but better minds than mine have calculated that % to the penny.

ccharie

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RS1; Mercedes EQE
Occupation
Lawyer

I missed the free PPF just by a minute too! Oh well, happy with the SUV (despite the minor service issue being worked on as we speak).
Sponsored