Sponsored

Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires mounted (will update over weekend test)

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 1983 Defender, 1999 Defender, Tesla Model 3
Cheers all. Adding to the many tire discussions. Just mounted the Toyo’s. It appears one of the first ones. They are the 275/60-20 that’s the only available. So about the same size as my 22s

So far I can say they are of course much smoother than the 22s. That’s a given. There is a very slight hum, but not intrusive at all.

They do look great on the truck. I also just got the Martian wheels. I know those wheels have been a polarizing topic. On the truck in “the real” they look awesome if you ask me. And they don’t look like every other wheel. Upside to me as well. I would actually say that in person, I would liken them to a smooth / EV version of Hutchinson Beadlocks that my G wagon always lusted for.

Anyway. Back to tires. So far they seem solid. But will update here after the weekend. Heading to VA and WV to hit little dirt and camp, so will be able to report back on range impact en route and some dirt performance.

Drop Qs if you have them. Will answer what I can.

Rivian R1T R1S Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires mounted (will update over weekend test) IMG_5855
Rivian R1T R1S Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires mounted (will update over weekend test) IMG_5860

Rivian R1T R1S Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires mounted (will update over weekend test) IMG_5859

Rivian R1T R1S Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires mounted (will update over weekend test) IMG_5859
Sponsored

misterturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Had AT/3s on my jeep. I really liked them over 14k miles. Toyo makes a good tire, so these you’ll probably be happy with.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Thanks for sharing. I will probably replace my OEM 20s with the Toyos when the time comes.

And I like the Martian wheels!

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Any word about the TPM sensor when they mounted the tires?

OP
OP
Jiri

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I helped them figure the TPMS sensors. It was super easy. But the tire shop that fitted it wasn’t familiar with that mounting option.

Got new sensors so I could swap wheels if I wanted to. The mounting is a little different with the valve extensions. But worth like a charm. Truck picked the sensors right up. Martian sent two length valves. One that will completely hide in the wheel. And one that comes out about the length of the cap. Frankly I don’t think the shorter ones are needed. But internet commentary was heavy about the 7 millimeters of the cap sticking out. I bet that’s why they sent two options.

Sponsored

TPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Toyota Sequoia, KTM 690 Enduro R
Definitely curious to hear what you think of the Toyo EV's after some miles. I'm holding out for the XL version. Hopefully, they release those soon.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires mounted (will update over weekend test) 1000001986

Toyos have long been my go-to, so I am interested to see if there is an efficiency bump over the rest of the Toyo lineup. If there is an efficiency bump, is there a durability Hit?

OP
OP
Jiri

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
quick update. 2.19 M/kwh so far at about 270 miles on the tires so far. Half at 80 mph on freeway and rest back roads and little light off road / dirt. 80% fully loaded with gear and RTT.

Slights increase in road road. Major increase in smoothness on potholes and imperfect road surfaces. Offroad tracking impeccable but no hard trails yet.

Rivian R1T R1S Toyo Open Country A/T EV tires mounted (will update over weekend test) IMG_5869

OP
OP
Jiri

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Freeway ride home update. For those considering the differences between the sporty 22s and going with 20s… This is not limited to the Toyo’s I got, but I will say that on the terrible roads around DC, there is absolutely no way to run in sport and stiff mode on the 22s. Unless you are looking to dislodge a kidney stone or a stubborn wisdom tooth. But on the 20s, the sport setting on stiff actually works great.

MrSandman

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I am very interested in these tires... wish they'd come in our exact tire size so I can keep my 20' rims. I'm very curious if the efficiency is similar to the OEM Pirelli AT's

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jiri

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Should, in pure theory, be somewhat more than efficient because of the size. They look great on the truck, so I don’t feel like I need the extra inch. 😂

OP
OP
Jiri

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Definitely curious to hear what you think of the Toyo EV's after some miles. I'm holding out for the XL version. Hopefully, they release those soon.
Just curious. Why wait for XL? As far as I can tell the ones available check all the requirements for a Rivian. That said. I haven’t bothered to get into the details of every aspect of tires/sizes/rubber compound etc. 😂

TPL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Toyota Sequoia, KTM 690 Enduro R
The XL should have fewer ply's and therefore be lighter and a bit more compliant ride on the road, as well as better range. The sacrifice of course being less durability for off-road.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
The valve is exposed on the martians? Being outboard like that could get damaged

OP
OP
Jiri

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The valve is exposed on the martians? Being outboard like that could get damaged
Martian delivers the wheels with two stem options. One that’s deeper in and one that sticks out more. The stem is so far up inside the wheel that I don’t see any issue at all to be honest. If you are crawling rocks to the degree that they are beating wheels far up like that, it’s likely time for a crawler 😂 not a factory off-roader.

The placement is unusual. And so is the 90 degree stem that comes with the wheels. Looks that much cooler. And it’s no different vulnerability to the stem than on any other wheel. But he’ll. You can get unlucky with any place you it the stem really.

In the end. I like them. They are light. Look great. And stem doesn’t seem to be an issue for 99.9% of off-road situations.
Sponsored