First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
My delivery driver backed my truck into a tree and dented the tailgate on the way to my house. It's since been fixed just fine, Rivian took care of it. I wasn't really in a tipping mood though.

OP
OP

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
Left a nice bottle of bourbon on the seat of the car I traded in…let him know it was his to enjoy. Got a nice text from him last night thanking me - the whole experience was flawless

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I'm not sure if it's the lingering effect of the lockdowns but I feel like tipping has gotten out of control.

I offer a few water bottles and snacks (granola bars, trail mix, chips, etc) to any large delivery to my home (furniture, vehicle in this case, appliances, etc)

For contractors doing any major work on my home - I order pizza, and subs on day one for the workers and that's it for the rest of the project.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I gave my delivery guy $40 because he said he wanted to go to 5-Guys (a burger place) before heading back to the SC.

Sponsored

OP
OP

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
I'm not sure if it's the lingering effect of the lockdowns but I feel like tipping has gotten out of control.

I offer a few water bottles and snacks (granola bars, trail mix, chips, etc) to any large delivery to my home (furniture, vehicle in this case, appliances, etc)

For contractors doing any major work on my home - I order pizza, and subs on day one for the workers and that's it for the rest of the project.
From my perspective, I grew up in England where tipping is not customary - however - I also realize that many people in the service industry ( and gif-economy ) are working their tails off and just making ends meet. From a social perspective I like helping people out - if someone is dropping off a ~$85k vehicle and picking up a perfectly good Porsche that I just don’t want anymore, a few extra bucks doesn’t make a difference to me but might make a huge difference to them.

from a selfish standpoint - whether it’s tipping my handyman, the mail man, people at restaurants or any other service provider ( especially in industries that typically don’t get tips ) I think that buys me the benefit of the doubt or bumps me up the list when I need help. Little things that create differentiation like tips / gifts / snacks have opened a lot of doors for me…I like the practice.

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

When you take delivery at the factory, there's a mandatory $1800 tip.

I know that didn't help, but I couldn't resist.
I thought your options are, 10% 15% 20% .... but usually minimum gratitude should be 18% .. so I would say just 18% of the car value is faire, if he brings an extra shot of tequila for free .. you should go for 20% or more ... thats what I would do

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I thought your options are, 10% 15% 20% .... but usually minimum gratitude should be 18% .. so I would say just 18% of the car value is faire, if he brings an extra shot of tequila for free .. you should go for 20% or more ... thats what I would do
Absolutely agree 20%. So, that's about $16k on a $80k car-right?

Seriously though-some people might be offended by this. I'd approach it carefully.

OP
OP

grantsi

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, Porsche Cayenne
Agreed…and remember…anything less than 15% and your guide will never call you back
Sponsored