Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM LBP 21" Rivian Blue
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

5'8" here, i have a coscto step ladder I use to get the middle of the R1T and jump in the bed to reach the back half of the glass roof better.

This last week I did a 2 stage polish and adam's graphene ceramic coat on the exterior (glass and wheels too). The first post-apply wash is coming later today/tomorrow.

I tend to use a powerwasher w/ foam cannon. Then towel dry w/detailing product.
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I have a mobile detailer come to my house every 2 weeks to wash my Rivians. He uses a stepladder. He also loves my newly installed rock sliders.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Why is everyone so concerned about cracking the roof glass? Am I missing something?
Not sure... our last two cars had glass vista roofs and I also read of crack3d glass on those (Fords). I've always used short step ladders and no clothes with rivets or belts. I then just lean on the side of the car and not the roof. Getting wet is just part of washing.

Also, on a side note. People complaining about how much Rivian glass is to replace haven't replaced glass on a Range Rover. Buddy just spent $2600 + labor for a windshield (well, insurance did).

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I don't use 2 bucket anymore. I just use more washcloths. They never go back in the bucket.
This doesn't get talked about much but I'm a believer. The second bucket is for storing dry wash mits now. An aluminum 3 step ladder (that has many other garage uses) works well when I want to wash the roof.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

What's wrong with touchless automatic carwashes?
They destroy your finish.

Some people don't care, and that's ok. My 10 year old X5 35d just became a car to get around in, and I didn't want to hand wash it anymore. I ran it in car washes at that point.

With my R1S, I'd like to keep it looking like it does now. I didn't spend the $ I did to have it paint corrected and ceramic coated, just to put it into an auto wash.

alextakesphotos

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / 911
It isn't just soap and water.
What is it then? I used touchless auto washes for over a decade and never had any issues. As of the last 5 years my cars get ceramic coated and it works even better leaving little to none spots.

ajmriv

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV80, R1S
This makes it much easier. I use it for the whole car. anngrowy 62" Microfiber Car Wash Brush Mop Kit Mitt Sponge with Long Handle Car Cleaning Supplies Kit Duster Washing Car Tools Accessories, 1 Chenille Scratch-Free Replacement Head Aluminum Alloy Pole https://a.co/d/hF6btKu

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

What is it then? I used touchless auto washes for over a decade and never had any issues. As of the last 5 years my cars get ceramic coated and it works even better leaving little to none spots.
There's a ton of harsh chemicals involved. Feel free to look it up. It's not a surprise or something that isn't common knowledge.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The people ceramic coating your car, should inform you about this. My company was very clear to use the two bucket system.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

alextakesphotos

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / 911
So the chemicals you use at home dont cause any harm? Not to mention you actually touching the car with a mitt? LOL come on man. Automatic car washes wouldn’t exist if they destroyed every car that went through.
Sponsored