Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If I can't reach it it isn't dirty.

I am also too nervous to lean on the glass roof.
Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Wash what I can reach by hand, or from the running boards, don't worry about the rest. Risk of breaking/cracking the roof glass is just not worth having it spotless. Plus I have the sunshade so now I can't even see it. It's just going to be the first thing to get dirty again anyway....

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Sponsored

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
Portable 2 step hard plastic mounting block (used for getting on riding horses) snugged up next to the truck, and a bathroom toilet brush (round) with a soft washing mitt over the brush. The mounting block has a large flat surface for both feet to stand on comfortably. The brush holds the mitt in place and the handle is long enough to easily extend the mitt more than halfway across the roof and windshield. Once one side of the truck is done the mounting block is then moved to the opposite side of the truck to do the other half of the roof and windshield. Works like a charm.

I'm 5'2". šŸ˜
Yes! Mounting blocks are great for us vertically challenged, whether needed for your horse or washing your car!

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I struggled with this for the first month or so. Now with running boards, itā€™s easy to hang on with the roof rack mounts and reach across to wash/dry the roof.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Like others have said, lowest ride height/ kneel mode, open the doors to get up there and hold on to the cross bars with one hand and wash mit with the other. Sometimes Iā€™ll use a step ladder but most times Iā€™m lazy and donā€™t want to bring it out.

Rivian R1T R1S Those who hand wash their Rivians... IMG_7941

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Reading a lot of concerns about the glass roof. I can't remember the last time I heard people so worried about cracking a roof from regular washing. I am concerned too. The shame of it is that none of us should have to be.

Stainer85

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Finance
Reading a lot of concerns about the glass roof. I can't remember the last time I heard people so worried about cracking a roof from regular washing. I am concerned too. The shame of it is that none of us should have to be.
Why is everyone so concerned about cracking the roof glass? Am I missing something?

Sponsored

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
For SUVā€™s I always climb and stand on the front tires to clean both sides of the windshield, middle back or hood, and front part of the roof. I do the same on the back tires to reach the rest of the roof parts. Iā€™m in my mid 40ā€™s and havenā€™t reached the point where this is difficult yet lol.

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Why is everyone so concerned about cracking the roof glass? Am I missing something?
There have been instances of the glass cracking under different circumstances. Some people are concerned that leaning on the glass while washing it might result in the glass cracking. I'm not as concerned but I am careful when I wash the car.

Stainer85

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Finance
There have been instances of the glass cracking under different circumstances. Some people are concerned that leaning on the glass while washing it might result in the glass cracking. I'm not as concerned but I am careful when I wash the car.
I see. Iā€™ve had my R1T for over a year, washed it many times, and no issue. I didnā€™t realize that was a thing with these glass roofs. Iā€™m not rough on it but would think that if itā€™s a structural member of the roof design, and an overall part of the safety of the vehicle passengers, it would have been tested for strength and rigidity. I am surprised people are cracking them just by putting a little weight or pressure on them. Interesting.

Stainer85

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Finance
Itā€™s a royal pain in the ass getting in and out of the Brooklyn, New York Service Center from Northwest NJ where I am, but the glass on these things is exactly why I have glass coverage on my auto policy. My windshield already had to be replaced and the Service Center cost was $1,970. For me, it was a $50 glass deductible on my policy. Hopefully, nothing happened to my roof glass, but if it does, it will be covered.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Like others have said, lowest ride height/ kneel mode, open the doors to get up there and hold on to the cross bars with one hand and wash mit with the other. Sometimes Iā€™ll use a step ladder but most times Iā€™m lazy and donā€™t want to bring it out.

IMG_7941.jpeg
What foam cannon and pressure washer do you use?
Sponsored