Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

@AirDownGearUp I'm very interested - I'm looking at building my own platform, and was actually looking at some of your youtube videos just yesterday as a source of inspiration. Just stumbled on this thread now - I'm contemplating removing the 3rd row seats.

If y'all had a platform + drawer system (with or without the 3rd row removed) for the r1s available now, I'm confident I would buy it (assuming a similar setup to the 4runner platform) instead of rolling my own. Where things stand today, if/when you come out with something I would be a likely customer, as my own build will not be nearly as dialed.
Same here would love to buy any solution that provides a good sleeping platform and provides storage.
I was wondering if full size spare under platform would be an option?
I would be ok with 2nd row removal as well.
Not sure if seat removals will throw errors on Rivian?
Sponsored

AirDownGearUp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 LX570, 2007 LX470, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Owner: Air Down Gear Up
I'm in. Since I've never got around to ordering your ADGU system for my LC, the Rivian, with that mini fridge would be awesome.
Well we can make sure to get the Rivian taken care of! Adding the drawer fridge really does increase the utility of the system without much compromise at all!

AirDownGearUp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@AirDownGearUp I'm very interested - I'm looking at building my own platform, and was actually looking at some of your youtube videos just yesterday as a source of inspiration. Just stumbled on this thread now - I'm contemplating removing the 3rd row seats.

If y'all had a platform + drawer system (with or without the 3rd row removed) for the r1s available now, I'm confident I would buy it (assuming a similar setup to the 4runner platform) instead of rolling my own. Where things stand today, if/when you come out with something I would be a likely customer, as my own build will not be nearly as dialed.
That's great to hear! We always sorta half joke/advise that you have to get it wrong A LOT before you get it perfect! It's worthwhile for us to tear things out, re-design, iterate, etc to yield an optimized final product. That's very hard to justify on a personal setup!

Our design queue is pretty full, but we will certainly start working on the R1S as soon as we can. The product would have even a few upgrades when compared to our current 4runner!

AirDownGearUp

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Same here would love to buy any solution that provides a good sleeping platform and provides storage.
I was wondering if full size spare under platform would be an option?
I would be ok with 2nd row removal as well.
Not sure if seat removals will throw errors on Rivian?
That's great feedback on the sleeping platform+ storage. That's probably the single biggest advantage of our systems: Sure you can sleep on the floor but then you have effectively ZERO storage capacity for necessary camping or activity equipment.

Our current design concept retains 100% access to the OEM spare tire location.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

That's great feedback on the sleeping platform+ storage. That's probably the single biggest advantage of our systems: Sure you can sleep on the floor but then you have effectively ZERO storage capacity for necessary camping or activity equipment.

Our current design concept retains 100% access to the OEM spare tire location.
OEM spare is tiny and storage location for spare is too small for full size spare. I want to put full size spare under the sleeping platform if possible.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

if it’s like most other seats, it’s 4 big torx screws, and a connector for occupancy/seatbelt sensors. Out in minutes. Wether it’s doable without taking a chunk out of the nice armrests… as I have always told anyone who asks if something is feasible(especially salespeople)… anything can be done once!

things like this are why I’m keen to see service manuals.

Time for safety training!
Rifftrax did this video and I had no idea. 100 times better than the original.

Sidney

First Name
Sidney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limestone R1S
@AirDownGearUp any chance you can share some of the measurements you took of the R1S? Mine is arriving in a couple weeks and I'm CAD'ing my platform now based on measurements I've gotten from a variety of sources. Getting your measurements would be super helpful, as I'm trying to take the car on a trip very soon after it will be delivered.

Also, not sure if it's helpful, but I found a good top down cutaway of the R1S, which has been helping me CAD things up:

Rivian R1T R1S Third Row Seat Removable/Space Savings - Illustration and longish discussion R1S Top Down View

The image is taken from the Storage section of an archived version of the Rivian website. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed about the R1S since then. The image has a slightly weird (not quite orthographic) perspective, but it's been helping me visualize what I'm building. Hope it's helpful for you too

Last edited:

Sidney

First Name
Sidney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limestone R1S
Thanks @ATL_R1S! I've already seen that, as well as gotten measurements from some CAD files, and a couple sets of dimensions shared by various forum members that are supposedly from Rivian customer service. Unfortunately all the different numbers don't quite line up (ex the metric vs imperial measurements provided by Rivian customer service are quite far off from each other), and I think there are differences in how things are being measured (seats upright vs seats at a more usable angle, etc). Also, some of the numbers I'm looking for just don't seem to be out there (esp stuff around removing the 3rd row). It's all good though - I can still build the 3d model, and then update the dimensions later.
Sponsored