Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think it would be interesting if there was a way to trigger a single flash of the green charging status bar on the front between the headlights. I’m not sure if that’s even legal in any/all jurisdictions, but it could serve as a sort of wave and would be handy to indicate to other people that you‘re yielding to them. Maybe an Easter egg type button combo press?
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I think it would be interesting if there was a way to trigger a single flash of the green charging status bar on the front between the headlights. I’m not sure if that’s even legal in any/all jurisdictions, but it could serve as a sort of wave and would be handy to indicate to other people that you‘re yielding to them. Maybe an Easter egg type button combo press?
RJ confirmed this, just use your middle finger to press the hazard lights up above ?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

RJ confirmed this, just use your middle finger to press the hazard lights up above ?
Every car I’ve ever owned has had something near the headliner I could activate with my middle finger to signal other drivers.

I was hoping for something unique which served a slightly different purpose, like letting pedestrians know I see them and they are safe to cross in front of me.

I’ve owned a couple vehicles where some owners thought there should be a wave and I just wasn’t into it. I’d try to wave back if they waved first as a courtesy but I’d rather just drive. I can’t imagine Wrangler owners doing this since there are so many of them on the road.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

People say Canadians are friendly, but if one waves at you while wearing mittens, this is what’s happening.
Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Wave? B67F18F8-50EE-4148-98F6-0D325038B27D

Crash,

Based on your inclusion of the drawing submitted by @Gator42, I have to ask, are you a thumb-tucker? I prefer to give those worthy of the salute my thumb as well. With the right action, I feel like I'm saying "Screw you!" and "Get out of here!", all at the same time.

Back in college, during a Spring break road trip, a buddy and I were driving South on I-5 through the night on one of those interminable straightways. It was the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, with seemingly no one else on the road.

Way up ahead in the distance, we saw a shimmering sight. It appeared to be a huge hand. "Hmm...that's strange", one of us said. And it appeared to be flipping us off. As we were apparently going only a few miles an hour faster, it took us forever to get close enough to realize we weren't being flipped off. What we had been seeing in the distance for more than a half hour was the back of a Mayflower Van Lines trailer, wearing their old logo (pictured below). You can tell by the photo that those long haul truckers were no thumb-tuckers, either.

I think if you squint, self-medicate, or do both, then extend the salute with your right hand, and then compare that view to Mayflower's old logo, you'll see what we saw floating through the California night while enduring a case of White Line Fever. (It's a thing!)

Honestly, I'd recommend trying this exercise in a private situation. Doing it on a lonely California highway, in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere might be helpful, but it's not necessary, or advisable. That said, it would be an Adventure.

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Wave? download (1)

We couldnt have been the only ones to see these similarities. I think our experience explains why they had to "update" their logo. Just sayin'....

p.s. I'll await your answer in peace.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

We need an SOP for this. If R11 (the first R1) waves and R12 (the second R1) does not wave back, R11 is legally permitted to reduce the hand wave to a finger wave (you know which one).

Wave memories are usually good conversation piece. After a Europe trip, the wife got a scooter bug so we got her a 50cc. We found ourselves riding that more often than my big bike. Getting the wave from big ass Harleys on the road when we can barely brake 30 is a hoot. I am voting yes to the wave.

1641426614715.png
I say "Yes" to the wave, but "No" to sticking out my tongue.
?=?

?=?

Cute pic!

Sponsored

OP
OP
p3ck

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

By this time next year there will be so many Rivians on the road that we will be sick and tired of waving.. oh wait.. :)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I wave to other motorcycle riders, very common in my area. Not sure I want to bother with this in the Rivian....

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Is there going to be a Rivian wave that we fellow Rivian's flash to each other? I'm joking, only half serious, I currently have a Jeep Wrangler and I'm actually looking forward to not waving at every other vehicle that comes the other way. :) It's exhausting!
Dear Lord, I hope not.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Motorcycle riders always acknowledge each other with a flash or a wave.
No, no we don't. Some of us (who have been riding for well over 30 years, who took their wife of 32 years to her junior high school prom on the back of a motorcycle, and who has ridden hundreds of thousands of miles) think it's stupid AF, and don't wave.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

No, no we don't. Some of us (who have been riding for well over 30 years, who took their wife of 32 years to her junior high school prom on the back of a motorcycle, and who has ridden hundreds of thousands of miles) think it's stupid AF, and don't wave.

I might beg to differ. In my youth, I spent several years as a Motor Officer on the Tallahassee Police Department. I rode a motorcycle all day, every day. I was almost always acknowledged when meeting or passing another motorcycle, and I would always return the acknowledgement. Even these many years later, I still notice motorcyclists acknowledging each other on the road. Additionally, I do not think that this courtesy is stupid.

Brian

OP
OP
p3ck

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Driver plus addition: Rivians automatically flash green when another Rivian approaches.
:)

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
The motorcycle wave isn't really a 'wave' or at least, it wasn't originally. It was, originally, a two-finger down salute, which stood for 'two wheels down' or 'two wheels on the ground'. It was supposed to be both an acknowledgement of the 'club' of riders, and a reminder to be safe.

I do it. I don't care if someone else doesn't. Not everyone does, but most do, to those posting up above. Doesn't matter if you've been on two wheels for 30 years or 3 years.

Anyway, as far as doing it in my car, no thanks. I do the motorcycle greet because it's got some cool history and riding != driving. You won't catch me rolling down my windows in the Seattle rain just to wave like a dope at some other Riviot.

OP
OP
p3ck

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Anyway, as far as doing it in my car, no thanks. I do the motorcycle greet because it's got some cool history and riding != driving. You won't catch me rolling down my windows in the Seattle rain just to wave like a dope at some other Riviot.
The Jeep wave is just lifting two finger from the steering wheel.. no rolling windows down..

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Wave? 1641486370091
Sponsored