Sponsored

The Review Your Service Loaner Vehicle thread!

RabidRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 03 S2K
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm currently driving a 2023 Volvo C40 EV as a service loaner from Enterprise.

It looks pretty good!

Rivian R1T R1S The Review Your Service Loaner Vehicle thread! 9AUTj2gl

Rivian R1T R1S The Review Your Service Loaner Vehicle thread! lCWrfKKl

Also the tail lights do a cool on/off where they light up in sequence.

And the body panels all line up perfectly, which is nice :D!

But...

1) The interior feels really cramped. A lot of it seems to be in the design choices: e.g. the dash is mounted kinda high which looks cool but feels claustrophobic to me, personally. There's even a hump on the floor in the rear, which precludes our putting our infant car seat in the middle position (can't deploy the load leg).

2) The interior panels are making plasticky rattling sounds driving over bumps.

3) With the keyless entry, there's a delay between sticking your hand in the door handles and the door actually unlocking, so you wind up having to pull a couple times to open it (my wife's i3 doesn't doesn't have this issue, for example).

4) The powered liftgate has been glitching out and randomly shutting on us all by itself. This has already bonked me on the head lol. And sometimes it mysteriously thinks something is in its way and opens back up, even though there's nothing there.

5) The throttle to motor movement mapping at low speeds is kinda weird. There's a bit of an odd disconnect: there's a delay, and at times it seems like it's moving faster than you think it should given the pedal travel. But sometimes it's the other way around. Faster than a crawl, no issues.

6) The infotainment screen is easily the worst part. For whatever reason, they chose to do the Tesla Model S approach of using a vertical screen.

Rivian R1T R1S The Review Your Service Loaner Vehicle thread! E9iGKBUl

But the difference is their screen is tiny, so now I can't see sh*t when I've got a map running. Why would they think a small screen in vertical orientation would be a good idea? Human vision doesn't work like that!

7) The infotainment software is garbage. Sure it's Google Android, but they seem to still have taken their own direction with the UI. The layout is super inconsistent and random and it's not intuitive to find stuff. A lot of random swiping to get to things like keeping HVAC running when the car's shut off. It's also really unresponsive, and kinda glitchy. Feels like using an Android phone from a decade ago.

8) The rear-view camera quality is potatoes. The top-down camera quality is potatoes. Even the front-camera is worse than ours, and that is REALLY SAYING SOMETHING.

9) You can only see one view at a time, i.e. can't do top-down view side-by-side with reverse.

But!! It has CarPlay / Android Auto. (;))

But seriously the integration is pretty cool: e.g. when you're using Apple Maps, that actually projects into the middle of your gauge cluster! Even Audi doesn't do this with their Virtual Cockpit and you're stuck using their home-brewed Audi navigation software. And in the C40 when you're not using CP/AA, you get the built-in Google Maps navigation in your gauge cluster by default, which is plenty great.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tjmsquared

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Macan
I don't have any fancy pictures, but I'll give a universal thumbs down for all three of the loaners I've received from Rivian. So far I've received:

• Mazda 3
  • Chrysler300
  • A Hyundai Kona (gas powered)

I'm not sure why, but I've just got terrible luck with the Enterprise lottery in getting nice cars. The silver lining is that all three make me really appreciate my Rivian.

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I got a R1T LE. I'd say it was pretty good

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

It's sad that this thread even has to exist. My service loaner - a Toyota 4Runner - just doesn't compare to the R1S. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be in the 4Runner for a total of about 6 weeks (I've got 5 more weeks to go), unless Rivian repairs my failed air suspension earlier than they project. And that does make me wonder...every week that they're paying for a rental for me is just more money out of Rivian's pocket, reducing the profit (or increasing the loss) that they made on my vehicle.
Sponsored