Sponsored

The Penn Stater Hotel, University Park - L2 Chargepoint Chargers installed, advertised but not ACTIVATED

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Posting this for people here who travel to Penn State Main Campus for events, etc.

I was at an Engineering Job Fair at Penn State University Park campus last week recruiting/interviewing. I stayed at the Penn Stater Hotel (not actually owned/operated by PSU) because that's where the event was and they advertise EV Charging Available.

Nope.

They have two 2 vehicle L2 Chargepoint stations. Both are powered up and appear ready to use. But when you insert a credit card, it comes back and "No network connectivity........Can't process your payment". I dug in a little further into the menus and it showed a strong WIFI connection. hmmm. I called Chargepoint and gave them the station number. After a bit of a delay, the CSR said that the stations are registered with Chargepoint but they are privately owned by the hotel and they have not been ACTIVATED/AUTHORIZED on the network by the owner, so they cannot process any transactions.

Based on the appearance of the stations, the ground around the stations, etc, they are NOT newly installed. I went to the front desk and the clerk said "I'm sorry, yeah, we know they don't work. I'll tell my manager again." I got the distinct impression this was not the first or even 50th time the person has said this, more like a few hundred times. They clearly know they are not working, have done nothing but advertise it on their web site. To Chargepoint's credit, the stations do not show up on their app. I went to the management company's web site (Scholar Hotels) and their Contact Us page does not work, so I sent them a nastygram via FaceBook. If you post EV charging on your web site, you have an obligation to make sure it works.

FWIW, there is a Sheetz about 3 miles away with L3 150 and 350 chargers.
Rivian R1T R1S The Penn Stater Hotel, University Park - L2 Chargepoint Chargers installed, advertised but not ACTIVATED 1707234344063

Rivian R1T R1S The Penn Stater Hotel, University Park - L2 Chargepoint Chargers installed, advertised but not ACTIVATED 1707232955449

Rivian R1T R1S The Penn Stater Hotel, University Park - L2 Chargepoint Chargers installed, advertised but not ACTIVATED 1707232988160
Sponsored

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Looks like it shows up on Google maps also, currently has one rating from 4 months ago saying it doesn't work.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
That just stinks...There are a number of L2 chargers in the Nittany Parking Deck (and a couple of the other parking decks) that worked well when my wife and daughter went up to spend a day with the school of music. She got up there in the morning, plugged in for 4 hours (total of $8 IIRC) and had enough juice to comfortably get back to Lancaster.

I'm hoping the charging situation in State College improves...I have twin daughters who are currently Juniors in high school and they're both looking at Penn State as an option (and not just because I'm an alum).

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Unfortunately stuff like this is way too common.

But the good news is that it is not all that hard to avoid surprises like this. Look for recent to check-ins on PlugShare before you commit to anything. If there are no reports of successful charging sessions in the last few weeks, assume the charger doesn't work.

https://www.plugshare.com/
Sponsored