First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I think all the discussion on reddit surrounding a lawsuit or design flaw is really overstated. Rivian's defense is going to be "user error," and its going to exceptionally difficult to successfully argue otherwise. Rivian cannot be expected to guarantee a 100% injury-free experience for every individual interacting with its suite of "Adventure Vehicles;" courts will be very receptive to this creating an undue burden. Indeed a saavy lawyer would argue that given their brand philosophy, Rivian expects certain injuries to occur; to wit, they provide a first aid kit included in that very door.

I'm not saying this guy is an idiot, I acknowledge its easier than it should be to hurt yourself with this particular part; but the extent of his injury is the determining factor (to me) in gauging his carelessness.

The first thing I tell people when I lower the GT doors and they've not been around it, "be careful around the gear tunnel doors," that pointed edge was the first thing I noticed during my sales tour.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

FWIW I've scratched (enough for blood but no where near this) on doors and other parts of the car. I just assume he was moving really fast and applied all his weight to that part of the car with his body.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Admittedly my balls tucked up a bit when I saw the gash and bloody mess.

That one corner is a bit of an oddity in that it's far enough out from the trucks body when deployed that it would make for a nasty gash someone not paying attention and walking past or into it.

With that however, you can't make everything accident proof, common sense and minding your surroundings has to come in to play.
Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge OldfashionedThirdLiger-mobile

Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
When I first saw this corner, although it was not sharp, it was pointed enough to take premptive action. I put a small dab of clear silicone seal on the corner and ran my finger around the edge. It only sticks out about 3mm to the inside so it doesn't interfere with the closing. It should soften any impacts, but I don't intend to try it.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've cut myself in the exact same spot on my leg, on the exact same corner of the door, though nowhere near as severely. I do think this is a real design flaw worth addressing.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Note to self: Don't wear shorts around my future R1T.

No one wants to see my blinding white legs anyways.

therealhoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2015 Tacoma Sport, 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
SW Engineer
I want to confirm that this is in fact a thing. I was stuffing groceries into the gear tunnel and banged my leg directly against the rear facing point of the gear tunnel door. I got a good scratch and it didn't feel great but my eyes were opened remembering this thread. I could have easily banged my leg twice as hard and I'm sure I would have received a good cut in that case. The point is sharp, sharper than it should be for something sticking out like that in an area you are prone to getting your legs close to if you are diving into the gear tunnel to get something. Take some extra caution and watch out for the point if you are doing that.

Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge IMG_0678

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge 63616ED5-6A09-4552-873D-D7640F3B347D

This is the leg of the Rivian employee who handed me the key to my truck on Saturday. Said he did the same thing.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I load from over top or the front side. Don't use the back side.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

This is disappointing to see especially since I have a young boy. That sharp corner may be at head height for the little guy. I've always hated the ford F-150 for its sharp corners on its long doors and have lost blood multiple times closing the doors.
Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge 1659971998188

Toyota had at least thought about this and had added a curved edge into the door its that easy to fix.
Rivian R1T R1S the bleeding edge 1659972340394

unfortunately they stopped doing this on the new trucks.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Pretty sure this was intentional design. Hard to have an adventure vehicle without a built-in tool for skinning small game animals.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
The answer is simple. All R1T have been recalled and will have the gear tunnel feature completely removed. All owners will have to sign a waiver and a non-disclosure agreement that they never had nor have ever heard of a "gear tunnel". All future R1T will be build without a gear tunnel. All currently in production R1T will be stopped along with the entire manufacturing line until retrofits can be made available. As R1S do not have a gear tunnel, the manufacturing line will be shifted to 100% R1S until such retrofits to remove the gear tunnel can be completed.

Don't I sound like a lawyer. Or just someone who wants their R1S.