Thanks Rivian - from people with power outages

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
PGE shut down here at our place at 240p. While it was targeted at being back up at 550p, that’s been pushed to tomorrow morning. Probably later, because PGE.

I’m writing this to you after having charged my ipad in the truck and while the router and AP are plugged into the truck, along with the frig, fish tank, some lights, and the water heater.

Truck didn’t break a sweat. 2kWh after 6 hours, and while it’s clearly not the entire house, we were able to play Xbox, watch a couple of shows, eat in relative piece (takeout, admittedly - bbq was off the table with 60mph winds).

Heading back in to watch Griselda now.

Hope the rest of the folks in coastal CA are faring well. Gnarly winds out here.
Sponsored

idea man

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E250 Bluetec, Sprinter, Passat, F-250, R1250 GSA
Occupation
Project Manager
This is great to hear. I hope you and your family stay safe and dry. Crazy storm hitting the whole state. Would you mind sharing how you are getting all those things plugged in at once? It is as easy as plugging in a power strip and plugging in to that?
Cheers

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
But what is powering Long Dog’s luxury ADU in your backyard? He can’t survive without his infrared sauna and heated dog bed.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hope everyone on the west coast stays safe. Great to hear that Rivian is helping out. Would love to hear your experience with this set up after everything gets back to normal. Cheers.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
This is great to hear. I hope you and your family stay safe and dry. Crazy storm hitting the whole state. Would you mind sharing how you are getting all those things plugged in at once? It is as easy as plugging in a power strip and plugging in to that?
Cheers
Same here... glad to hear this is working out. But yeah... how are people running all these things on 2kWh? @Carmelbythesea for example: "forced air hvac gas fired"... I get that the gas is supplying the heat, but how do you tap into what I assume is a hard-wired home furnace setup? Obviously there is always a way... Good luck out there - stay safe.

Willyspu

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Farmer
Clubs

Be interested to know how they power all those things as well considering the 120v plug in the car puts out only 1500 watts/12amps.
I am in Oregon where are power goes out several times a year, we have a plug wired into our electric panel for our generator and turn off all unnecessary electric items when powering the house. I suppose you could do the same for the Rivian but at 12 amps, that's not very much power . . . like one big blow dryer would pop the circuit.

isakhnov

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
+1 on how to tap. I have a switch panel for my emergency generator and it takes 240 with a special plug.

dgennetten

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
Yeah, I'm aware and have contributed to that thread... as I said, there is always a way. But the 'Ghetto method' thread is clearly an edge case with LOTS of issues (!!!) and caveats. But I gather other people are finding less involved ways of getting backup power out of their Rivians and seemingly running a fair number of appliances (and seemingly concurrently). Just wondering what the logistics are for these folks (connections, cables, power strips, transfer switches)?

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
But what is powering Long Dog’s luxury ADU in your backyard? He can’t survive without his infrared sauna and heated dog bed.
Long Dog was just thrilled that the humans were relatively quiet, and he was allowed to sit on His Couch while we watched TV.

Long Dog is very spoiled. My MIL calls him her Granddog. <sigh>

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Long Dog was just thrilled that the humans were relatively quiet, and he was allowed to sit on His Couch while we watched TV.

Long Dog is very spoiled. My MIL calls him her Granddog. <sigh>
He deserves all of it!

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Yeah, I'm aware and have contributed to that thread... as I said, there is always a way. But the 'Ghetto method' thread is clearly an edge case with LOTS of issues (!!!) and caveats. But I gather other people are finding less involved ways of getting backup power out of their Rivians and seemingly running a fair number of appliances (and seemingly concurrently). Just wondering what the logistics are for these folks (connections, cables, power strips, transfer switches)?
I’m running mine as a mess of extension cords and plug-in / unplug with some regularity.

I’ll be installing a transfer switch that will supply some of the downstairs circuits, and the Rivian will be the battery backup for the basics (garage door, frig, freezer, internet, water heater (tankless NG), and kitchen outlets).

It works fine right now for the 2 times a year we lose power. After a couple of days, this gets tiring.

Just got the PGE notification that our turn-on is pushed out 12 hours, so here we go again …

Visket

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
What progress has "the industry" made as far as tapping into one's EV as a backup home battery (EV to 240v house panel)?

In that charging the Rivian is at 10+ Kw/h (L2), and I don't use that much power to run my house, I would figure that the same cable that charges the Rivian should be able to pull power from it to run my house. No?

I've been researching a whole-home backup battery (UPS) system (no solar), but the cost of wall-mounted Kw is huge as compared to the 130+ Kw on tap from the Rivian.

I know additional hardware would be required, and that's my question. How close are we?
Sponsored