Sponsored

TeslaFi question

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S FG/FE Adventure 20, Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

I received an email from Teslafi that my token authorization expired. This was a few minutes after I changed my Rivian.com password.

I am confused because when I signed up, it was made clear to me that Teslafi does not store my username and password and only stores the authorization token. Does anyone know for sure how this works? I signed up under the assumption that they would not be storing my username/password.

Email text

Hi,

Your Rivian API Token used by Electrafi to obtain data from your vehicle has expired.

This may be because you changed your Rivian password recently, your token has expired or there are temporary issues with the Rivian servers.

*Please generate a new token in Settings->Rivian Account to turn on logging again.*

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

The Electrafi Team

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I received an email from Teslafi that my token authorization expired. This was a few minutes after I changed my Rivian.com password.

I am confused because when I signed up, it was made clear to me that Teslafi does not store my username and password and only stores the authorization token. Does anyone know for sure how this works? I signed up under the assumption that they would not be storing my username/password.

Email text

Hi,

Your Rivian API Token used by Electrafi to obtain data from your vehicle has expired.

This may be because you changed your Rivian password recently, your token has expired or there are temporary issues with the Rivian servers.

*Please generate a new token in Settings->Rivian Account to turn on logging again.*

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

The Electrafi Team

I would venture that changing your password invalidated the tokens. That said, you really should create a separate Rivian account and NOT use your primary account for ElectraFi. If for some reason it gets locked out of your account, it could lock you out of your vehicle. The easy way to handle this if you have a GMail type account is to use [email protected] to create the second Rivian account...which you do by inviting a new user from the app. You don't need to assign any keys or anything, you just need a new Rivian account that has access to your vehicle. Then login on ElectraFi using the new account instead.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Changing your password invalidates all pre-existing tokens. You wouldn't want it to work any other way.

Imagine your password was compromised and someone else logged into the app using your password. Perhaps an ex-spouse / ex-boyfriend/ ex-girlfriend.

If you change your password to keep them out you would expect them to be instantly kicked out of the app, right? You would not expect them to retain access for another few months until the token expired.

OP
OP

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just received reply from Teslafi -- "We only store your token but if you change your password on Rivian they invalidate all existing tokens just like Tesla does."

So your theory is correct.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have a quick question? When you created a new account in the Rivian app for Electrafi to use, do you just use an arbitrary email or does it actually have to be a valid email? You have to invite a new driver and use a valid email and use that email when signing up?

Thanks

OP
OP

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes, Rivian requires validation of the email address on the new account, so you need to have a real second email account.
Sponsored