Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Ok so.... We know that charger will be plug and charged and billed through Rivian account.... But ... For those that will be utilizing the TSC frequently:

1) will Rivian get Member pricing?

2) If not, how would it work to sign up for the Tesla membership?

The membership gives the same pricing as Tesla owners.

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging-other-evs#supercharging-membership
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Reportedly using plug and charge is the non-member rate, even if you had a tesla membership. You'll have to initiate the charge from the Tesla app to get your membership rate. I'm guessing Tesla won't reconsider this behavior because using the Tesla app de-anonymizes you.

Looking at the closest NACS available charger to me, I see these rates in the Rivian app:
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Supercharger Pricing -- Per Kwh Cost for Rivian 1710854295894-ji

And these in the Tesla app:
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Supercharger Pricing -- Per Kwh Cost for Rivian 1710854313017-7

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
One thing that may be an issue Rivian has not figured out, is how to turn off P&C. In my Mache E you can turn off P&C, then use either EA or Tesla app to get a membership discount. There is also a way on EA, to swipe the EA app first, then plug in and you will get the EA member price, because the charger will not look for P&C. Seems like that should work for Tesla also, but have not tried it.

When you use P&C the billing is directly via an OEM account, with no specific car data used to determine if you have a membership.

JWortman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 FG R1T w/ OC Interior
One thing that may be an issue Rivian has not figured out, is how to turn off P&C. In my Mache E you can turn off P&C, then use either EA or Tesla app to get a membership discount. There is also a way on EA, to swipe the EA app first, then plug in and you will get the EA member price, because the charger will not look for P&C. Seems like that should work for Tesla also, but have not tried it.

When you use P&C the billing is directly via an OEM account, with no specific car data used to determine if you have a membership.
If I recall correctly, the video that Snazzy Labs posted on Twitter/Threads mentioned that if you initiate the charge via the Tesla app first for a specific stall before plugging in, and then plug in, you can still get your membership discount and it overrides plug and charge. Sounds like it takes a little longer to actually start the charge once plugged in though, like 30-40 seconds, instead of 5-10, but thats NBD.

Sponsored

Galve2000

First Name
Costas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 85D, Oredering a dual motor R1S
so the membership rates thru tesla are cheaper? they look about the same to me but i have an older Model S with free unlimited SCing so I do not see up to the minute pricing on my MCU..

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

yeah, the membership rates near me are only 3 cents per kWh, not really worth it.
Sponsored